Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Epox 8rda6+ pro no more ethernet

Hello.
    Third post here XD (Ok, I'll stop counting :P)

Ok, I have this Epox motherboard that I had given to a friend for let him use until he got a new laptop.
    But after he gave me back my motherboard, I tried it and I found that the integrated ethernet card don't work anymore. It seems that a lightning hit the phone cable (unluckily we have most of the last mile cable on poles ) and the ADSL router, broking only the power supply of this one, but my friend claims that at that time the computer wasn't plugged to the router, so in any case I can't know what was the cause of this problem.

On the BIOS settings I still can decide (obviously) either to switch it on or off, and even set a mac address if I enable the feature, but if I, like, try the network boot the motherboards shows me a message that no device is plugged (naturally with the bios setting to "auto", the only choice available except "disable"). So to say, not only windows doesn't view anymore the integrated device but even the BIOS.
    I suspect that the problem can lay on the power line to the card (i.e. a fuse) since the leds are off, but I'm not so sure and it's just an idea.
    In any case, this is the situation and I want (and need) to fix it since I need it for helping another friend, and we don't have any spare pci ethernet card (nor we have any money to buy one, naturally).

TIA again for any help provided
    Last edited by Ranmamez; 10-01-2013, 07:53 PM.

Re: Epox 8rda6+ pro no more ethernet

Disable network boot in the BIOS. Before claiming the ethernet port is bad.
    ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

The network boot is ALWAYS off, I said that I tried it but it meant that it was ONCE.
      And, btw, if the network boot says to me that there isn't any device, what do you think?
      And what does it matter, btw?

Comment

Hey, I hope you didn't get offended and are not answering on purpose due to this...

Comment

Nope, not offended.

There's that message about telling you to check the connection if you don't disable LAN boot, which is stubbornly enabled by default on some board BIOSes!
          ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

I see, thank you.
            In any case lan boot is normally off. I tried switching it on on the bios and alternatively hitting f11 (if i recall correctly) for choosing boot device: both showed me a message that there wasn't any network boot device, while normally, as far as i can remember, when those options are choosed they show me a different message, with technical data running and such things.
            I hoped to find someone that knew this motherboard or at least where and what to check, with, like, a multimeter or something else.

Comment

Post a picture of the area near the ethernet port. Looks like that Cicada chip does the ethernet handling. Not sure though.

Comment

Yes it is that chip, even though mine is called Vitesse.
                Here are the pics I could take:
                Attached Files

Comment

I guess the first step would be to check if all of the proper voltages are coming to this chip. To do that, you will need the VSC8201 data sheet.
                  They have it on their website, but you have to register. This is the link to all of the related files for this chip:
                  https://www.vitesse.com/products/pro...number=VSC8201
                  If you don't want to register, you can open the link/item labeled "VSC8201 / RTL8201BL Dual PCB Layout Applications Note", download the ZIP file, and open the "Dual_Layout_AN_11.pdf" file. Page 4 shows where some of the voltages go.
                  This chip uses:
                  1.5V for VDDPLL15 and VDDREC15
                  3.3V for VDDPLL33, VDDREC33, V+A33, and VCC_MAIN33
                  See if you get those voltages. U5 looks like either a 1.5V or 3.3V regulator. Check what voltage it is outputting and if it stable.

Comment

Working...
                  X