Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So I've got a dead 27" Viewsonic VX2753MH

Hey all...

So, I've got a Viewsonic VX2753-MH. Currently, it doesn't power on. Symptoms/pathology are thus:

Couple years ago (maybe more than just a couple? I think these are a good 6 years old in terms of introduction), the VGA port just quit working. No problem, I switched over to HDMI. Then the HDMI port next to the VGA quit working. I tried the next HDMI port and it worked from there on out.

However, two years ago, it developed an intermittent power problem. The plug for the power source would sometimes have to be re-seated, or fiddled with, to get steady power. Maybe two weeks ago it seemed to have failed entirely. I pushed firmly on the plug, holding it in for maybe 30 seconds, and that "fixed" it. When I plugged the HDMI cable in, I lost power again, so with the HDMI attached, I pushed and held the power cable in the jack and got power again...but no HDMI signal! So I carefully pushed and held the HDMI cable in and finally got it to display.

Last night it seems to have given up the ghost entirely and no amount of reasonable force completes the power connection. Strangely, the PC it's hooked up to (it is one of two monitors), detects the monitor, but without power, there's nothing to show.

It is an old display - I bought it at CompUSA if that tells you anything about its age! - so figuring it was already broken and I had nothing to lose, I popped the bezel off, carefully removed the display panel and opened up the board housing. I didn't immediately see anything wrong with it: there's no popped or even slightly swollen or bulging caps, no popped or cracked resistors, etc. My thought was to reflow the board as some have done with ailing GPUs and laptop motherboards, but there's more than a little bit of plastic on the board and the last thing I wanted to do was melt that.

Even though it's old, it output a very clear picture, had no dead pixels at all, was very sharp, I like it quite a bit.

I went hunting for the board online, I've replaced display controller boards before in Westinghouse and others without a hitch, but apparently this thing's controller is pretty scarce. The only stateside supplier who had any, was this vendor:

http://www.tvpartsguy.com/products/v...015e1300r.html

...and he's out. The next two links in my Google searching were dead ends (out of stock, both at alibaba). I've found very similar boards, but I know from experience that even a single variation can mean it just won't work.

So is there any hope? To recap (no pun intended): All ports, right to left, died one by one, but before they did, they worked if very firmly pushed in and the connecting cable was held down. Does that simply sound like all the connectors are suffering from solder joint issues? Can I use a slightly different board and still be OK?

Thanks in advance, everyone!

PS - I found this forum because back in April someone else had an issue with theirs, and the 492A015E1300R part number turned this place up when I was googling it!

Re: So I've got a dead 27" Viewsonic VX2753MH

Sounds like bad contact with the connectors to me. First carefully inspect the solder joint and try to touch them with a toothpick. They shouldn't move at all. Next apply some contact cleaner inside the connectors.
    If that doesn't change anything, connect the power supply and measure the voltage you get on the PCB. Also attach clear high-resolution picture of the board (both sides).
    OpenBoardView — https://github.com/OpenBoardView/OpenBoardView

Comment

Originally posted by piernov View Post
      Sounds like bad contact with the connectors to me. First carefully inspect the solder joint and try to touch them with a toothpick. They shouldn't move at all. Next apply some contact cleaner inside the connectors.
      If that doesn't change anything, connect the power supply and measure the voltage you get on the PCB. Also attach clear high-resolution picture of the board (both sides).
      Thanks, piernov; I will re-disassemble the display later today and pull the board, try those things, and include some photos.

Comment

Okay, so, an update. I pulled the board out, and checked the connectors. They're firm, don't seem to move, and to my eyes there are no cracks or gaps in the solder.

Here's the photos:

I don't have a probe, so I can't tell what's going on when the power is connected. I will say that while I had the board on the bench, I connected power, and the power LED and on/off panel for the display and didn't get anything. Pressed in on the power lead, etc., nada.

Comment

I see a lot of Su'scon caps. I also see two toroidal inductors on your board. That means there are buck-type regulators on your boards, and those regulators DO NOT like bad capacitors at all. While your caps may not look bad (no bulging or leaking), that doesn't mean that they aren't bad. In fact, I just have an amplifier board in front of me right now littered with CapXon and Su'scon caps - none of which are bulging, but all 25 (except for 2) are showing abnormal ESR - some of them even completely open-circuit. Thus, rather than guessing around what may be wrong, it might be a good first step to replace all of those caps to rule them out as a possible cause of your issue. While at it, also resolder the joints on the power jack. Even if the joints look good, it won't hurt to reflow their solder again.

As for reflowing the rest of the board - I don't recommend it and I don't see a reason to do it either, as there are no BGA chips on there (and those are the ones that fail most often in GPUs and laptops).

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
            I see a lot of Su'scon caps. I also see two toroidal inductors on your board. That means there are buck-type regulators on your boards, and those regulators DO NOT like bad capacitors at all. While your caps may not look bad (no bulging or leaking), that doesn't mean that they aren't bad. In fact, I just have an amplifier board in front of me right now littered with CapXon and Su'scon caps - none of which are bulging, but all 25 (except for 2) are showing abnormal ESR - some of them even completely open-circuit. Thus, rather than guessing around what may be wrong, it might be a good first step to replace all of those caps to rule them out as a possible cause of your issue. While at it, also resolder the joints on the power jack. Even if the joints look good, it won't hurt to reflow their solder again.

As for reflowing the rest of the board - I don't recommend it and I don't see a reason to do it either, as there are no BGA chips on there (and those are the ones that fail most often in GPUs and laptops).
            I'm going to try those things, thank you for the suggestion. Also, while you can't see it in the photos, when I had the board on my workbench I used my mag-eyes plus a magnifying glass and noticed that yes indeed there's a crack around one of the power connector joints! So that clearly is gonna get the treatment.

I hate to ask you to speculate, but do you think maybe it was a combination of two things: bad caps and a bad power lead? Hence losing the VGA and one HDMI port...? but then how does that explain that pushing in on the other HDMI port fixed it...(if only temporarily until the power jack failed completely).

So many questions!

And so much thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Bill S. View Post
              I hate to ask you to speculate, but do you think maybe it was a combination of two things: bad caps and a bad power lead?
              Yeah, I think that's the most likely case - you probably had two issues to begin with: one with the power jack and one with the caps. But unfortunately, we wouldn't really know until the caps are replaced and all solder joints fixed.

Comment

Yeah, I think that's the most likely case - you probably had two issues to begin with: one with the power jack and one with the caps. But unfortunately, we wouldn't really know until the caps are replaced and all solder joints fixed.
                Right on. I'll see if I can get one of my soldering-iron wielding friends to assist me here. I really hope it's a combination of the caps and power jack and nothing (say) with some tiny resistors or something.

It's funny, I thought maybe I'd find one for sale somewhere and cannibalize it for a good board but the only complete ones I could find were NIB or refurbished models for like...$300. I'm guessing this was a fairly popular unit?

Comment

Your board seems good to me.
                  Are you sure the problem is not in the power brick or in the power cable?
                  Last edited by Dumah Brazorf; 10-28-2017, 02:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dumah Brazorf View Post
                    Your board seems good to me.
                    If it wasn't for the VGA port and then the first of the two HDMI ports going out, I would agree that it might be something that "simple".

if, after I get the power connector re-soldered and new caps put on it still does it, well...I might try a new power brick or cord but beyond that I'll likely scrap it...which pains me to say.

Comment

Originally posted by Dumah Brazorf View Post
                      Good point about the power brick/adapter. If it's the switching kind (which I am 99.999% sure it is), it many have bad caps inside. Bad caps inside a power brick is the same as bad caps in a power supply - it could have been causing the symptoms you are seeing, including the no power or erratic behavior. So it's definitely worth cracking it open or trying another power brick/adapter with the same output current (A or mA) and output voltage (V) specs, if you have one.

That said, you could also try this: heat up the power adapter with a hair dryer, then plug it in and see if the monitor works. This "trick" does not always work, though. The idea behind it is that if there are bad capacitors in the power adapter, but they are only marginally bad, then heating them up can temporarily revive the power adapter. The reason why is because the ESR spec of a capacitor decreases as the capacitor heats up. So in a case with marginal capacitors, this can make the circuit work again.

As far as trashing/scrapping the monitor: don't throw it in your recycle or trash bin. Just put it in on the curb with a "Free/Broken" sign, and watch it get snatched up. Add a Craigslist post about it and see it get taken within the hour. There's plenty of people who take broken stuff like that (as I can speak for myself here ).
                      Last edited by momaka; 10-30-2017, 08:25 PM.

Comment

Good point about the power brick/adapter. If it's the switching kind (which I am 99.999% sure it is), it many have bad caps inside. Bad caps inside a power brick is the same as bad caps in a power supply - it could have been causing the symptoms you are seeing, including the no power or erratic behavior. So it's definitely worth cracking it open or trying another power brick/adapter with the same output current (A or mA) and output voltage (V) specs, if you have one.

That said, you could also try this: heat up the power adapter with a hair dryer, then plug it in and see if the monitor works. This "trick" does not always work, though. The idea behind it is that if there are bad capacitors in the power adapter, but they are only marginally bad, then heating them up can temporarily revive the power adapter. The reason why is because the ESR spec of a capacitor decreases as the capacitor heats up. So in a case with marginal capacitors, this can make the circuit work again.

As far as trashing/scrapping the monitor: don't throw it in your recycle or trash bin. Just put it in on the curb with a "Free/Broken" sign, and watch it get snatched up. Add a Craigslist post about it and see it get taken within the hour. There's plenty of people who take broken stuff like that (as I can speak for myself here ).
                        I will give all that at try, too, thank you! But, again, I don't think a failing power brick explains two ports going bad (not bitching at you, I promise, just very curious situation!).

As to "scrapping" it, yeah, that's more what I meant. Trust me, as an IT dude I don't throw e-waste into the "normal" trash. Heck, a few years back I built piles of Athlon and Celeron machines out of junk I had in my garage and stacked 'em on the curb for free. You'd have thought I was giving away money...

Comment

I will give all that at try, too, thank you! But, again, I don't think a failing power brick explains two ports going bad (not bitching at you, I promise, just very curious situation!).
                          Indeed it doesn't seem like a likely scenario, but excessive power supply noise really can cause anything. So it's always good to double-check things when troubleshooting.

Heck, a few years back I built piles of Athlon and Celeron machines out of junk I had in my garage and stacked 'em on the curb for free. You'd have thought I was giving away money...
                          Well, technically you were. At least for some people, that's a source of income on the side.

I hope they didn't scrap those machines just for the metals, though - I always find that to be a waste.

Comment

Indeed it doesn't seem like a likely scenario, but excessive power supply noise really can cause anything. So it's always good to double-check things when troubleshooting.
                            Gotcha. Ounce of prevention and all.

Well, technically you were. At least for some people, that's a source of income on the side.

I hope they didn't scrap those machines just for the metals, though - I always find that to be a waste.
                            The "neighborhood scrap guy" picked up a box of laptop parts (like, seriously broken laptop parts) but otherwise it just seemed like people from around the neighborhood grabbing them up.

I scrapped probably 30+ Pentium II and III (like 266-533 mhz machines, pre winxp era HP boxen) and that tiny handful of parts that came to like 10-12 machines was all that was worth keeping, and I thought "Keeping for what?" so I threw 'em together and put 'em on the sidewalk. I think the fastest in pure clock speed was a 1.2ghz athlon. I hope they helped whoever. The "best" of them was a 1.1ghz Celeron with 512mb RAM and a 128mb PCI video card, 30gb (2x15) hard drive(s)...

Typically that's what I do. I put a laptop (P4, I wanna say 2.0ghz) toshiba on top of the garbage can and the person that picked it up seemed genuinely happy to get it.

Comment

Hi Bill, I was wondering if youve made any progress on the monitor?

I was given this same model by my brother after it started experiencing problems similar to yours. I see aliexpress has the main board for sale though im leary of ordering from them and price seems too high for a gamble.

Comment

Originally posted by Myke Roberts View Post
                                Hi Bill, I was wondering if youve made any progress on the monitor?

I was given this same model by my brother after it started experiencing problems similar to yours. I see aliexpress has the main board for sale though im leary of ordering from them and price seems too high for a gamble.
                                I haven't had a chance, but I will post back as soon as I have the opportunity to try and affect repairs. Right now it's down to re-soldering the power input jack and replacing the caps. I'll have to find someone to do it for me as I am all thumbs. But once I've gotten those things done I will report back. I'm keeping an eye on the thread as I want to see if anyone else (such as yourself) comes in with any more issues or suggestions. One thing I can tell you, though, is prepare for a fight to get the monitor apart. There's no access through the back, it's all (carefully) removing the front bezel, then unplugging various wiring harnesses from the board, then you gain access to the cage it's in...

Comment

Okay so a slight follow-up to this: can anyone direct me to somewhere I could get this board recapped and the power jack repaired at? None of my fellow nerd friends skills are in that area, and I'm damned afraid of just killing the poor board.

Comment

Are you looking for some local place or any service?
                                    If the latter, there should be quite a few folks here on badcaps.net that can do it. Just keep in mind that the shipping costs.

IMO, if you have some time to spare, you should attempt it yourself. Soldering isn't all that hard, but it helps if you get the right... or at least somewhat decent tools. And practice - some practice on a few junk boards removing and re-installing components should teach you all the skills you'll need to tackle this.

Comment

Are you looking for some local place or any service?
                                      If the latter, there should be quite a few folks here on badcaps.net that can do it. Just keep in mind that the shipping costs.

IMO, if you have some time to spare, you should attempt it yourself. Soldering isn't all that hard, but it helps if you get the right... or at least somewhat decent tools. And practice - some practice on a few junk boards removing and re-installing components should teach you all the skills you'll need to tackle this.
                                      Thanks; I've probably got some crap around here I could experiment on.

Comment

There you go.

Let us know how it goes or if you have trouble with soldering/desoldering. Leaded solder and liquid or gel flux would be the first things to get, along with a 50-60 Watt iron. Don't try to solder with less than 40 Watt iron if you are new, especially on dual-layer boards like your monitor's - those take more heat than a single layer board, and you might struggle a bit. Try starting with a simple single layer board. A very low-end crappy ATX PSU is usually a good starting point.

Comment

Working...
                                        X