Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DDR2 for Intel and AMD ?

Guys,

I got some memory modules worked well on AMD motherboard but I tried them on Intel motherboard, it didn't work....did I get compatibility issue ?
    May be the motherboard manual can tell me which one is compatible ?

Re: DDR2 for Intel and AMD ?

If it's 4gb sticks I'm not surprised. If they are 2gb, they usually always work in both platforms.

Comment

It's 2Gb and 1Gb 800MHz...

Comment

Indeed, usually good motherboards have a list of memory modules that were tested with it written in its manual. I've never tried 4GB modules before, highest I've used are 2GB and so far so good (all Intel motherboards...)

Comment

could it be because of incompatible CPU I used celeron D 340...and I can't find it in a compatibility list :
          http://processormatch.intel.com/Proc...entName=dg31pr

Comment

It could be high density memory. High density ram will work with AMD but won't work on Intel boards.

Comment

More important than the CPU , you should check the bus speed of the board , and what Ram it takes . So start with the Intel board manual first . Evenmore , some Intel boards requires buffered Rams and others , non buffered . If the Rams are 533 or even 667 MHZ , they might not work on boards that requires 800 Mhz bus speed .
              Add to that , not finally , that some Intel boards within third party manufacturers , require double channel alignment or Channel A and channel B proper placing .

Comment

It depends on the board.

Asus boards are pretty forgiving with memory. For example, DDR2 ECC modules will work on them (unbuffered ECC, not PC2-xxxxP that has the larger IC in the center of the module), whereas they will not on Foxconn boards. Some older Asus Athlon boards will even take Registered memory (But not FB-DIMMs).

Either way, there exists a piece of software that allows you to change the SPD of a module. It used to be free, but the author now charges money for it. So theoretically if you change the SPD of a stick that should work with information with one that does work, you might get lucky.

It's probably also handy for modules that have an SPD that says the chips are imited to 667 whereas they are actually DDR2-800 chips.
                "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

Are you looking for spdTool_063.zip? if you search you can still find it

Comment

Originally posted by R_J View Post
                    Are you looking for spdTool_063.zip? if you search you can still find it
                    No, that's not it...

The name of the software is Thaiphoon Burner.
                    "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

Comment

Originally posted by bianchi77 View Post
                      could it be because of incompatible CPU I used celeron D 340...and I can't find it in a compatibility list :
                      http://processormatch.intel.com/Proc...entName=dg31pr
                      I am not really understanding this?

The Celeron D340 is for a PPGAE478 socket Ie it should have 478pins?

Motherboard DG31PR has a LGA775 socket ie processor should have 775 pins?

If that is correct then I will be surprised if you have not caused damage to both processor and motherboard.
                      Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
                      http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

Originally posted by selldoor View Post
                        I am not really understanding this?

The Celeron D340 is for a PPGAE478 socket Ie it should have 478pins?

Motherboard DG31PR has a LGA775 socket ie processor should have 775 pins?

If that is correct then I will be surprised if you have not caused damage to both processor and motherboard.
                        There are two version of the 340. The 340 is Socket 478, and the 340J is LGA775.

Comment

Thanks- Maybe if the OP had said D340J I would have remembered. Though it is some years since I played with these CPUs.
                          Whilst it will physically fit, the fact that it is not on the compatibilty list should be a good clue that it will not work, though IIRC, it was a grey area
                          as some boards would work some wouldnt and some would on a bios upgrade?

@OP perhaps try with one stick of ram in case the two are incompatible.
                          Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
                          http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

Working...
                          X