LN40A630 Samsung

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LN40A630 Samsung

Hello all, I'm really new here and I've been spending the last couple hours perusing the forum and reading up on everything, trying to take in as much information as I can. My name is Ryan, I'm 25, and I just started a job as a PC Tech, and I also recently started up a passion for repairing electronics as a side project. I have been a long time video gamer and technology geek, so I have a light background in electronic repair and troubleshooting. I have recently come into two free TV sets and I was looking for some help with pointing me into the best direction to fix them. I'll only go through the one here, a Samsung 40" LCD that I was given for free from the owner of a local thrift store. I don't know what happened to it, although the plastic bezel is cracked in several locations, which leads me to believe it underwent some abuse. I brought the TV home, plugged it in, waited a few minutes, came back, and tried to power it on. I do not have the remote, so I programmed my RCA universal to it without much difficulty. Now, when I start up the TV, this is what I see.

After a short while, 10-20 seconds, the screen shifts to this:

This is what I see when I hit Menu:

As far as I'm aware, as long as the sound is working (it is), and the TV powers on and off just fine, the only other issue would be with the T-Con board. I'll be honest, I'm lost when it comes to these. After searching around on the forums, it appears it could be a bad board altogether, or it could be just an issue with 'bad tabs'? I don't know what tabs would be bad, other than the small connectors for the ribbon cables on the top, or the connector from the main board.
    So, to summarize, sound works, power on and off okay, picture is ghosting black to white, then vertical lines that are somewhat scrambled.

Thoughts?

Re: LN40A630 Samsung

My guess just looking at the photos is the LCD panel is bad, this is quite common with these models. T-con might cause this fault but 90% of the time it is the actual panel.

You could try a "tab bond" repair - see here for a different fault but with same root cause:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHst6pKLtTE
    Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
    For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Unfortunately, I'm stuck with satellite internet and YouTube is mostly unavailable to me. Sorry, I wasn't able to load the video. Is there a way to test the panel, or am I stuck with a large paperweight?

Comment

Have you an email address or dropbox? I could email you a copy of the file.

You need to tear the panel down to the tab bonds and press gently on each bond to find where the fault is. When you press down the picture should come back. If it does not, the fault probably can't be fixed unfortunately.
        Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
        For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Working...
        X