The damn TV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The damn TV

Well....I took the back off the JVC. Its pretty dirty/dusty in there. Hey, its over 15 years old...spent a year in Okinawa, 5 years in Memphis, 3 years in Jax NC (..on the beach ), 5 years in Oregon, and now 2 years here in ND. So its done some traveling.

I know nothing about TV repair. Isn't there a cap you need to stay the hell away from????? There is a degaussing ring, but I've read that it may be inadequate or just flat not working. My idea of testing it would be to pop a volt meter on it to see if it get voltage on turn up.

I love working on electronics (5VDC ). I have worked on higher voltages, but it doesn't mean I like it. Hell, the TACAN runs 3KW with a 10KV PA tube......but that doesn't mean I like messing with it or its PS.

I'd like to see if I can get it working. I still haven't found a degaussing coil to see if that helps. There is one local place that has one, but I'll be damned if I'll give them the sweat of my balls if they were dying of thirst. :evil: Yeah....I do NOT like them.

Anyway......any suggestions for making this thing safe to clean it out would be great. LIke I said, I heard about a high voltage cap or something that you need to be careful of. Any way of neutralizing this? Be warned.....if you make a suggestion and it doesn't work and I die, I will haunt your ass for the rest of your natural life.
    "Its all about the boom....."

Guns kill people like spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled drinking.

"Fear accompanies the possibility of death.....calm shepherds its certainty"

Originally posted by Topcat
    AWD is just training wheels for RWD.

stay away from the hv lead to the crt.
    and the large lytics in the psu.
    blow the crud out with compressed air and look where the degausser plugs in to the board.
    bet you have cracked joints on the thermister.

Comment

Well....I got to thinking about the pattern on the TV. I thought "what if there is power to the degaussing coil all the time?" So I disconnected the coil. Turned the TV on, same display. I got the externatl degaussing coil today so I tried it out. It did absolutely nothing. But I think my arthritis is better. :o

I'll take it out and blow out all the dust. There is some, what looks like rust, on the solder connections for the HV thingy for the tube (sorry....its late and mind isn't working very well. but i think my arthritis is better. :o ) My first thought was that maybe something got too hot at one point. There is also some on the big coil where the 120VAC comes in. Kind of strange.

Last ditch effort is to blow out the dust. Look for obvious stuff. I'll run the coil over everything and see if it helps. If not, TC-can you host a small video for me of an exploding TV???

BTW.......did I tell you that i think my arthritis is better????? :o

Comment

Here's an update.

Well...the degaussing coil didn't do shit. Made the screen look funny, but that was about it. Had to replace a speaker in my sisters car. I looked at the speaker....I looked at the tv......I looked at the speaker......hehehehe.

I went all around the tv with the speaker. After about an hour of messing with it I managed to get it all good except for two small red (this is on a blue background) spots in the lower corners. Almost invisible when watching a program.

The funny thing is if you tip the tv in any direction it affects the colors. As I tip it back, red (once again, on the blue background) will appear at the top. Set the tv back down and it goes away. Strange stuff.

Anyway.....mum and dad are using it as a second tv. So sorry....no tv blowing up video.

Comment

Working...
        X