• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Toshiba satellite L500 won't post?

Model: Toshiba satellite l500 - 1QW
    Motherboard : KSWAA LA-4982P
    Rev: 1.0
    2009-08-04

A year ago or so (I have a thread of the problem also) my laptop stopped to show what's happening during the boot so the display was blank on laptop, until windows booting starts then the picture. If I would connect it to an external monitor with the HDMI, then I would see the boot too. I left it like that because it didn't bother me that much.

Anyway, coming to the real problem now. Few days ago the laptop failed to wake up from sleep mode and I had to shut it down with the power button and then turn it on, it would start. However, 2 days ago I shut it down instead putting it into sleep mode as I usually do and didn't manage to turn it on again. The laptop powers up, the leds light, fan starts to spin but it wouldn't show anything nor boot/ post as it usually does. I connected it to an external monitor with HDMI but nothing there either. It just stays powered on but never boots or shows anything on the screen.

I tried the usual stuff, taking out the RAM modules and trying with just one and different slots, nothing. I took the SSD and HDD out, still nothing. I also tried my other CPU which was working fine when I took it out for a little better one, nothing. I disconnected the motherboard from everything, only CUP, RAM, fan and wifi card left in it and tried it like that but also nothing.

I found the schematics but have no idea what should I check 😅
    I'm quite a newbie with this but for some reason I'm suspecting the BIOS chip? I found the bios update for my laptop and I have a BIOS flash tool so I'm thinking to try and reflash the BIOS, but have to locate it first.

Any thoughts, suggestions?
    If needed I will take pictures or whatever, when I have some extra time.
    Thanks!

Re: Toshiba satellite L500 won't post?

If CPU VCore is present, trying to flash the BIOS can be a good idea. But first confirm you did perform CMOS reset by disconnecting all power (AC adapter, battery pack and coin cell battery) for a while.
    OpenBoardView — https://github.com/OpenBoardView/OpenBoardView

Comment

Everything was disconnected over the night, except that I don't know where the coin cell battery is?
      Thanks

Comment

Also, how could I measure CPU VCore? I found the schematics but I'm too big of a noob to figure it out

Comment

Originally posted by 123XYZ123 View Post
          Everything was disconnected over the night, except that I don't know where the coin cell battery is?
          Thanks
          The bios battery is soldered on, its in the corner below the wifi card slot. Test battery voltage,if its low replace the battery, or desolder one leg and short the + - pads on motherboard for 30 seconds to reset cmos,resolder the leg and try booting.
          All donations to badcaps are welcome, click on this link to donate. Thanks to all supporters

Comment

I had a few acer laptops from about 2009 That wouldn't POST if the CMOS battery was flat. Could be the case here since the Laptop is pretty old.

Measure the battery and replace if needed. Could be an easy solution before trying anything else besides checking memory like you already did.

Comment

Alright I will do it tonight probably, thanks guys.
              Can it work without the battery? To just remove it completely?

Edit: I took it off and measured the voltage, it has 2.73V
              Last edited by 123XYZ123; 10-16-2019, 04:56 PM.

Comment

Alright I will do it tonight probably, thanks guys.
                Can it work without the battery? To just remove it completely?

Edit: I took it off and measured the voltage, it has 2.73V
                Measure it while in circuit or connect a small load to it. Battery voltages recover when no load is attached.

But 2.73v should be OK in my opinion.

Comment

2.8V when soldered. What could I try next, flash the BIOS? But before doing it, can I check is the BIOS chip faulty?
                  I think I located it on the board, it's a winbond 25q16bvsig 0946, marked U46 on the motherboard.
                  Last edited by 123XYZ123; 10-16-2019, 06:39 PM.

Comment

I think this mb has NECtokin cap issue. Replace it wth 4X330uf capacitor.

Comment

2.7V is too low. It should be 3V or more.
                      I don't think this board has a NEC Tokin.

You cannot really tell if a BIOS is bad. You have to backup and flash.
                      OpenBoardView — https://github.com/OpenBoardView/OpenBoardView

Comment

Alright, then I will probably try to flash the bios tonight. But before doing so I will see if I have a good cmos battery and test with it. I tried to power it up without the cmos, same issue.
                        Btw, if there is that NEC Tokin cap, where to locate it?
                        Thanks

Comment

Alright, then I will probably try to flash the bios tonight. But before doing so I will see if I have a good cmos battery and test with it. I tried to power it up without the cmos, same issue.
                          Btw, if there is that NEC Tokin cap, where to locate it?
                          Thanks
                          NEC Tokin "Proadlizers" are always directly under the CPU.
                          They are big black rectangles with "NEC Tokin" written on it.

Always replace those because they are known to fail sooner or later.

Comment

It's back from the death. I heated the GPUs with a hair dryer, now how long will it last.. Heh
                            I tested only on the HDMI port for now, I will see if it works on the laptops screen, and does the boot show because it didn't in the past, unless I used HDMI and an external monitor.

Edit: nothing on the laptops screen, only on external monitor. So I suppose the integrated GPU is still dead, laptops screen will probably work once windows starts to boot, like before.
                            I'm thinking to try and heat up the integrated GPU once again a bit longer?

And btw, I didn't find the NEC Tokin, so I guess this board doesn't have it.
                            Last edited by 123XYZ123; 10-17-2019, 03:25 PM.

Comment

It's back from the death. I heated the GPUs with a hair dryer, now how long will it last.. Heh
                              I tested only on the HDMI port for now, I will see if it works on the laptops screen, and does the boot show because it didn't in the past, unless I used HDMI and an external monitor.
                              Does the board have a dedicated gpu? I cant see one on pictures of that board.
                              You probably heated the north- & southbridge? It will fail again. Heating something with a hair dryer fixes nothing.
                              Theres probably a bad solder ball on one BGA.

Comment

I heated up these 2. Has the yellow one anything to do with the integrated graphics? The other one I took it put of the board because it's easier so I don't damage any other things and heated it up for about 4min.
                                The yellow one about 3min maybe. Any way to heat something back to bring the integrated GPU back? Lol

If needed I will take a magnifying glass to take pictures of the "names"

EDIT: And yeah, the red one should be the dedicated GPU, it's ATI?
                                Also, could it be that it failed from overheating? Lately I have been using an external monitor besides my laptops screen, but I didn't follow the temperature. However, I have the feeling the fan was more active an it usually was.
                                Attached Files
                                Last edited by 123XYZ123; 10-17-2019, 03:48 PM.

Comment

I heated up these 2. Has the yellow one anything to do with the integrated graphics? The other one I took it put of the board because it's easier so I don't damage any other things and heated it up for about 4min.
                                  The yellow one about 3min maybe. Any way to heat something back to bring the integrated GPU back? Lol

If needed I will take a magnifying glass to take pictures of the "names"

EDIT: And yeah, the red one should be the dedicated GPU, it's ATI?
                                  Also, could it be that it failed from overheating? Lately I have been using an external monitor besides my laptops screen, but I didn't follow the temperature. However, I have the feeling the fan was more active an it usually was.
                                  The ATI chip is the GPU. The Intel chip (yellow) is just the PCH. Probably without integrated graphics. But cant tell since i cant read the numbers of the chips. Im actually surprised that there is also a mxm slot for another dedicated GPU.

Can you clean the GPU and take a good closeup of it? ATI had some bad chips back then which are not fixable and there are no replacements for it.

It'll work a few days after heating the chip but it will fail again. 100%.
                                  Last edited by KvnTM; 10-17-2019, 04:14 PM.

Comment

Alright, I go take the pictures. Be back soon.
                                    Yeah, probably it will fail but I will try to see when xD

Comment

Here they are. Well, I had this laptop for 10 years, first owner hehe
                                      I'm quite impressed it survived till now, it was used daily, the HDD is also still working (for how long more it's questionable but I have SSD as first drive now, HDD not used that often)
                                      Attached Files
                                      Last edited by 123XYZ123; 10-17-2019, 04:58 PM.

Comment

Ah sorry, I thought you want the names. I will clean and take few pictures of the whole GPU tomorrow.

Comment

Working...
                                        X