Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Swollen SANYO Caps on G33-SL2?

Hi guys!

I need an opinion on something real quick!

Here's an example of a new (six month old) Sanyo cap;

This is on another device (a dumb terminal) which has lead a charmed life, hardly ever switched on. Looking at the cap the vent is nice and flat with good sharp edges. It looks 'healthy' to me.

And here are the others on my Gigabyte board, which for the last three years has been on almost 24/7:

Notice the 'softening' of the top? Looks a wee bit bulged and there isn't a sharp edge or clean line to be seen.

Closer to the CPU, it looks 'worse'.

Mid point between CPU and FAN, I'm still not seeing nice sharp lines.

So my question is, are these caps starting to show signs of swelling or do these look normal?

This motherboard is now acting as a media centre PC in my living room, so if there's any chance these caps are starting to go, I will re-cap is immediately. I haven't seen any big signs of instability as yet, but I upgraded my main PC because this motherboard just didn't 'feel right', if you know what I mean? Slow in places, wouldn't wake up from S1 sometimes; nothing big but just didn't inspire any confidence.

I know the Sanyo caps are great caps, but I also know that no cap is full-proof.

What say ye, professionals?

Chris...
    Attached Files

Re: Swollen SANYO Caps on G33-SL2?

The caps can only stand up to spec depending on the power being fed to them... While I don't notice anything obvious, it's worthwhile for you to crack open the PSU and have a look.
    "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

I have new in box Sanyo (Actually Suncon) caps that look the same.
      I think it's just an artefact of the machine that pressed the vents...
      "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

that is exactly what it is.caps are fine.
        Originally posted by Per Hansson View Post
        I have new in box Sanyo (Actually Suncon) caps that look the same.
        I think it's just an artefact of the machine that pressed the vents...

Comment

yeah i've seen sanyos vent stamped like that all the time. Though usually not like the first picture
          Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
          ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

Ah, ok, that's great news!

The feeder caps in the PSU are Teapo (yuck) 3300uf capacitors, but they are all in good condition. The PSU is a HEC Zephyr 80+. A look inside reveals everything looks splendid and no large amounts of dust either.

I reckon I don't have anything to worry about with these caps then. Maybe the first example was a one off and the ones that look more contoured are actually the norm.

Thanks guys!

Chris...

Comment

Sanyo can be a little inconsistent with their manufacturing. Sometimes, they will look like the 1st picture, other times, they will look like the ones on your board. There can also be variations in the rubber seals, and sometimes, the sleeves can be pulled further over the top than others.
              I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

I'd say your caps are OK because I have a few hundred Sanyo WG caps I bought in 2010, and the depth of the "K" stamp is consistent for any one size cap (same capacitance & voltage) and differs only between different sizes.

The Sanyo caps on my FIC PA-2007 motherboard from 1999 had shallower "K"s, but they were a different model. None bulging, 3-4 sampled ones still measured low for ESR.

Comment

Working...
                X