dell 270/280 polymer mods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: dell 270/280 polymer mods

I haven't seen any 5+ year old boards in the p4/athlonxp class that had them.
    Mann-Made Global Warming.
    - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
    -
    You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
    -

Comment

Old type bad.
      New type wasn't released until 2006/7.
      There aren't any that are 5 years old. - Untested.

Ya'll can go ahead and test'em for me. I'll watch. .

Can does look different. Maybe they fixed the seal/moisture problem.

-
      Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
      -
      You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
      -

Comment

There was a moisture problem with some polys, due to an error in the manufacturing process.
        But i think those problems had been sorted out by the manufacturers.

From a theoretical point of view, polymer capacitors are nevertheless Al capacitors, only the electrolyte was replaced with the solid stuff.

Comment

The yellow Fujitsu SPAs with the Sanyo-type K-vent have been around for more than 5 years - I have an Intel D845GLLY SDRAM-only board for 400-FSB Willamettes/Northwoods that have these (560uF/4V, I think) along with some standard Nichicon HD 1500/6.3 on the Vcore rail. These appear to be OK even now, but maybe it's because the HDs have ample headroom on ripple-current.

Comment

The Yellow/Black with K vents has been around longer than that.
            I have them on i815 boards.
            The 'old' ones have a very square can (sharp corner on the top) compared to the new ones and the stamp is less pronounced.
            Fujitsu has discontinued notices on their site for the first version in 2004 and the second in 2006. Both of those used the old can according to Fujitsu photos.
            The newer cans have a deep K stamp and the corner is rounded.

This new 'improved' can hasn't been around 5 years yet.
            Time will tell if they leak moisture in like the old cans did.

-

- Dr Seuss
            -
            -

Comment

the series is still made but rohs compliant with no pvc jacket.
              they just clearcoat them now.
              btw i checked ripple/noise on this box when i put it back in service and again last week.
              seems these break in like an engine.ripple is less now that its been running a few months.
              i made sure to check it in the same state.mitek project started but waiting on a job.
              keeping notes inside the box.

Comment

Wondering if someone might be able to point me to the place where I may be able to pick one of these FPCAPs up for my GX270's. Would like to bring a couple back from the dead.

Comment

I have inherited a GX-270 that is recappable.

Q: would this awful case design benefit from an external 80mm or 92mm fan?

I can route out the case top to accommodate a fan, then put a shield on the outside surface. There does not appear to be sufficient room inside for the fan.

This would be hokey, but OK for a lab rat, or a computer for my wife.

Thoughts?

Comment

update.
                    one 270 that was polyed overheated so bad it stunk in one of the mitek machines.
                    lost a fan and packed in sawdust.
                    still runs fine after cleaning and fan replacement.ripple/noise same as when i checked the second time.

Comment

Originally posted by PCBONEZ
                      OTOH I have a 9-year-old 466 MHz Gateway Celeron system with Sanyo polys:

Comment

Yeah, except I was talking about Fujitsu Functional Polymer.
                        Those are Sanyo Solid Polymer. - Not what I was talking about.
                        -
                        I have OSCON's on a couple 11 year old Intel N440BX server boards.
                        In fact ALL the Radial caps on those are OSCON.
                        They retailed for $899 in 1998.

-

- Dr Seuss
                        -
                        -

Comment

Originally posted by PCBONEZ
                          OTOH I have a 9-year-old 466 MHz Gateway Celeron system with Sanyo polys:

Comment

On GX270 mobos, is C259, located between the AGP and DIMM slots, rated for 6.3 volts? It's the only replacement cap I installed that runs warm, but is that due to the two hot transistors next to it?

Comment

Here's my SX280 polymer addition - 500+ hours prime95 stable

I added 4 Fujitsu FPCaps 820uF @ 2.5v to the 10 rubycons already there:
                              Attached Files

Comment

Okay, you repeated so I will.

Yeah, except I was talking about Fujitsu Functional Polymer.

Those are Sanyo OS-CON. - Not what I was talking about.

Sanyo Patented OS-CON in 1981 in Japan and 1982 in the US so seeing them on a 1990's board isn't a revelation.
                                Unusual yeah, because they were so damned expensive then.
                                I think that Patent and the 20 year Patent Law may be why Fujitsu Polymer weren't around until after about 2001.

-

- Dr Seuss
                                -
                                -

Comment

Sorry about the duplicate message.

Comment

OIC
                                    Butterfly Effect

-

- Dr Seuss
                                    -
                                    -

Comment

first board i saw them on were asus a7 series.
                                      they went about 4-5 years before they would bulge.
                                      the new design has a hard bung and vent stamp is deeper.
                                      btw polys will vent/explode if abused.sanyo sepc and ncc psa with no vent will blow off the can.the fujitsu vent like a normal cap.all stink when they go.sacrificed some in the name of science.all 3 look identical internally.

Comment

Originally posted by etnietering
                                        Here's my SX280 polymer addition - 500+ hours prime95 stable

I added 4 Fujitsu FPCaps 820uF @ 2.5v to the 10 rubycons already there:
                                        i replace the mcz with polys on vcore and vtt.they often blow up from the heat.
                                        mcz are rather short lived vs mbz in hot units.cheaper to use mcz rather than a few more mbz or just polys.

Comment

Originally posted by kc8adu
                                          first board i saw them on were asus a7 series.
                                          they went about 4-5 years before they would bulge.
                                          the new design has a hard bung and vent stamp is deeper.
                                          btw polys will vent/explode if abused.sanyo sepc and ncc psa with no vent will blow off the can.the fujitsu vent like a normal cap.all stink when they go.sacrificed some in the name of science.all 3 look identical internally.
                                          Oldest boards I've seen them on were the last 2 of the 7 revisions of GVC "Corfu II" NLX boards I've seen. [OEM for Gateway E-3400.] Last revisions were i815E B-step chipsets so they were built around late 2001 and maybe into 2002. Still have one of the next to last revision I never recapped and other caps on it have a July 2001 date code which is just a few months over 20 years from when Sanyo filed their Polymer patent in Japan.
                                          About 1/2 the Fujitsu on those were bloated before I joined the forum here so that would be right about 4 years old. [Figuring out what the Fujitsu were is one of the reasons I joined.]
                                          -I think- I noticed they were slightly bloated a full year before that but the other caps on the boards weren't and the boards were working fine until the others went.
                                          Unfortunatly I didn't own an ESR meter when I recapped the bulk of those boards so I can't say for sure if they were actually bad or not. I thought I bagged the caps pulled from the ones with Fujitsu to check later when I got an ESR meter but I can't find them so they may have gotten tossed.

-

- Dr Seuss
                                          -
                                          -

Comment

Working...
                                          X