GA-M51GM-S2G neither onboard graphics nor PCIE slot work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GA-M51GM-S2G neither onboard graphics nor PCIE slot work

I'm not having much luck with AM2 boards - this GA-M51GM-S2G looks perfect, but neither onboard graphics nor PCIE x16 slot work

The board POSTs with a single beep, but I get a display only if I use a PCI graphics card - other than that, nothing

A clean install of XP with PCI graphics reckons another, GeForce 6100, graphics device is there - but nothing shows up on a 2nd monitor connected to onboard graphics

If I remove PCI card, and set BIOS to "Set Init Display First to onboard VGA" and "Always output from the onboard GPU", it boots with a single beep then loads XP with no display, presumably without a hitch because it does shut down with Alt-F4 & Alt-S

I've tried both powered and non-powered PCIE graphics cards, also updated latest non-Beta BIOS F15 - both to no avail

Any suggestions ? - or is this another nVidia dud ?
    Attached Files
    better to keep quiet and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt

Re: GA-M51GM-S2G neither onboard graphics nor PCIE slot work

Toss it in the garbage. Bumpgate strikes again.
    I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by c_hegge View Post
      Toss it in the garbage. Bumpgate strikes again.
      Honestly,just because a board has a flaw that doesn't mean it must be automatically thrown in the trash.

pfrcom - tried reflowing?
      Last edited by Dan81; 07-31-2015, 01:34 PM.
      Main rig:
      Gigabyte B75M-D3H
      Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
      Gigabyte Geforce GTX650 1GB GDDR5
      16GB DDR3-1600
      Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
      FSP Bluestorm II 500W (recapped)
      120GB ADATA + 2x Seagate Barracuda ES.2 ST31000340NS 1TB
      Delux MG760 case

Comment

Yeah, classic case of bad nvidia chip... Reflow the die only, there is nothing wrong with the solder balls connecting the chip to the mainboard in this case. You can use anything from a hot air gun to a mini torch - these chips can take a lot of abuse. Cover everything else with tinfoil and leave only the die exposed. Hit it with a lot of heat for 2 minutes, let it cool, should work.

Being a desktop board, it has good chances of living 1 year or 2 if there is a big cooler on the CPU or if you add a fan to the chipset heatsink. Also the use of dedicated graphics on that board is preferred. If you can keep it under 60C it will live (almost) forever.
        Last edited by Th3_uN1Qu3; 07-31-2015, 02:30 PM.
        Originally posted by PeteS in CA
        Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
        A working TV? How boring!

Comment

My thanks to Dan81 for encouragement, and Th3_uN1Qu3 for advice

I covered the area with tinfoil, exposing just a tiny square corresponding to the northbridge die, then gave it 390c from hot air station for ~3 minutes

Then switched hot air station off, keeping hot air nozzle on die while letting station go through its cooling down cycle to 100c after which it powers itself off

Left board for a few hours, then reassembled with Arctic Silver 5 between northbridge and its heatsink

And ...

... onboard video works

I'm satisfied with GeForce 6100 graphics - will heed advice and leave PCIE slot vacant

CPU cooler is stock AMD type which vents air in four directions, hoping that will suffice to keep northbridge happy - I hate fan cooled stuff
          better to keep quiet and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt

Comment

I said dedicated The use of onboard graphics will stress the chipset more.
            Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.

Comment

Hi
              I have a motherboard Intel D945gcnl with similar problem. The motherboard have no display with built in graphics but pcie gfx card works fine. I have tested some components on board but unable to detect the fault. I am unable to find schematic of this motherboard. please suggest something to debug this board..

Vakakush

Comment

I would leave it alone. The onboard graphics in the 945 chipset sucked anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Th3_uN1Qu3 View Post
                  I said dedicated The use of onboard graphics will stress the chipset more.
                  Thanks for the feedback

At least PCIE slot now works also

Although board is quirky - sometimes hangs when switching from text to graphics, or vice versa

For example(s):

Hung after I pressed Enter to accept default Y for Save BIOS settings

Also hung on last reboot of a fresh XP installation, at final point where BIOS hands over to OS, after it says DMI updated

However, considerably better than it was though
                  Last edited by pfrcom; 08-01-2015, 11:55 PM.

Comment

Did a BIOS update too?

Comment

Originally posted by Th3_uN1Qu3 View Post
                      Did a BIOS update too?
                      Originally posted by pfrcom View Post
                      also updated latest non-Beta BIOS F15

Comment

Well, it lasted a bit over 4 months of intermittent use, then just recently the PCIE 8400GS card didn't display anything

Its on-board did still work, although not for long, didn't work when I tried it the following day

And I'd changed the processor HSF to one of those AMD ones where fins vent in four directions, so VRM capacitors and Northbridge heatsink were both getting some airflow

Comment

did u try to keep it under 60°C? looks like bumpgate and being a fan cooled hater did not mix...
                          Last edited by ChaosLegionnaire; 01-20-2016, 03:13 AM.

Comment

Working...
                          X