Ratdude's 3U Server Shenanigans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ratdude's 3U Server Shenanigans

Ordered PCBs... trying easy EDA this time since the per-PCB price was slightly better. Hell, I ordered 10 of them and also 10 of another project of mine some of us know about and DHL flat rate was still more expensive. As for the other project, I've used up all 3 of the OSH park PCBs from that project (Main rig v3.8, v4.1, and one hand delivered in a kit to Topcat a few visits ago) and my PCB milled V0.1 version (single sided PCB with jumpers, used to test my college's PCB mill) is too special to use. Also I have a surplus of the switches and dual pin headers, so I might as well whip up a few more (read: if you own a supermicro case/board combo and want to remap your HDD or NIC2 LED, PM me ).
    sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Look what I found:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vericom-Glob...IAAOSwTqdZsIhZ

From what I can research that's legit copper Cat5e, not CCA (copper cladded aluminum) horsesh!t. Unless they're lying about the part number, in which case I'll be getting a refund.

Hopefully I made a good gamble...
      sigpic

Comment

Time has passed, I now have a house, and this thing is just too noisy.

I'm biting the bullet and re-fanning it using some Arctic Cooling F8's.

Too bad the stupid fan controller idea didn't work... I may revisit it again. IDK.
        sigpic

Comment

Head scratcher:

Lately (hot no A/C office closet) this thing will randomly die. Upon reboot, it's giving a bunch of beeps. I'm guessing that it's the "8 beep" Video memory fault... bad BGA joints on the mobo?

Anybody seen this before? Maybe an excuse to get a new board//platform for the beast???
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
            Head scratcher:

Lately (hot no A/C office closet) this thing will randomly die. Upon reboot, it's giving a bunch of beeps. I'm guessing that it's the "8 beep" Video memory fault... bad BGA joints on the mobo?

Anybody seen this before? Maybe an excuse to get a new board//platform for the beast???
            HEY MORON, CHECK THE PSU!

---

Well, she died in a storm (or a momentary loss of power).. this time, power on, immediatly shuts down. Sounds like a PSU issue, right? Well, let's take a look:

This server uses a redundant pair of Etasis PSUs:

Unlike my SM 1U modular supplies, these supply all ATX voltages (and raw line voltage too ). Not just a massive 12V rail that is stepped down (buck converter) in the secondary

Oddly they installed heatsink screws under the label:

And no, this wasn't to double as a warranty void sticker. they had one of those over another screw. Not that 2003-2005 server has any warranty left for that matter

Anyway, lets look at the secondary:

Well there ya go, dumb*ss. So much for "Teapo's are OK in PSU's"... obviously not here! This would explain all the random errors.. hell that might have been the backplane fauting due to one PSU failing (it will not run without both installed).

I didn't get pics, but the other PSU was worse.

Side note- unlike most PSUs I've worked on, this one actually uses a replaceable fuse:

A week later and all is better:

I mostly used Panasonic FR's for this. Normally I do PSUs in Nichicon HE, but the 10V 2200uf options they have are all too fat or too tall to fit. One value wasn't available in the form factor I needed, so I used some Illinois Capacitor's.

This PSU was a PITA to recap... especially the aformentioned 10V 2200uf's some of which were wedged under the lip of the heatsink... ugh. I got the job done, but not the cake walk PSU jobs usually are.

Reassembled and reinstalled... she's alive again!

Lesson learned: Kill Teapos with fire. All of them.
            Attached Files
            sigpic

Comment

After 10 years around this site, and it took you this long to figure this out? THis should have been one of the first things you check....and I've told you many times that Teapo is trash....Trust them no more than you trust a politician!
              <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
              Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
              http://folding.stanford.edu/
              Team : 49813
              Join in!!
              Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
                Well there ya go, dumb*ss. So much for "Teapo's are OK in PSU's"... obviously not here!
                There are a few caveats to that. Teapo's are generally ok (but not ideal) in normal ATX PSUs used for the "normal replacement intraval" (generally 3-5 years, though I have seen much older Teapos as long as they aren't too stressed), but in a 10+ year old 1U PSU (most of which could double as a toaster/space heater) it isn't surprising to find them failed.

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
                  After 10 years around this site, and it took you this long to figure this out? THis should have been one of the first things you check....and I've told you many times that Teapo is trash....Trust them no more than you trust a politician!
                  I got lazy.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
                    I've told you many times that Teapo is trash....Trust them no more than you trust a politician!
                    Best quote I've seen in quite a while on this site!
                    "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Working...
                    X