Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ratdude's main rig V3, maybe

Originally posted by ben7 View Post
    Did you check to make sure that there are no solder bridges on other parts from loose solder splashing around?

Btw, is there just one VRM for both cpus?
    Already checked, no dice.

I think it has a VRM for each cpu...
    sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
      Already checked, no dice.

I think it has a VRM for each cpu...
      Well there's gotta be a short or broken trace somewhere.
      Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

Originally posted by ben7 View Post
        Well there's gotta be a short or broken trace somewhere.
        Yeah, I may have burnt an internal one by accident (what a PITA to recap).

---

I talked with shovenose... and if shipping costs check out, then I'll buy his board and I/O shield (no RAM, CPUs, or coolers) off him. His board also has the dreaded KZG caps but his haven't blown up (yet). If I ever recap another one of these I'll use the right pick (I was using a different one that didn't work the greatest).

Yeah, It's gonna cost me some $$$ to build this ($140 + SH for the case among others) but given the choice between that and selling my $50 of RAM (After selling expenses I'd be at a loss probably), I'd rather build another.
        sigpic

Comment

Bought this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=370643410182

Mainly for the card reader drive, which is a rev 06 and can be reflashed to support SDHC. To drive it, I'll either use the NEC 5 port USB card out of my out of service Compaq Presario 7000 or I'll find a clone and add/swap in an internal 5 pin usb header.

I agreed to buy shovenose's S2885. After seeing the going rates on ebay, His offer was a no-brainer.

Case wise, I'm going to order the supermicro I listed earlier. That also takes care of the PSU situation.

Once I get it running I'll worry about CPU upgrades and a TV tuner card install.

Sound like a plan?
          sigpic

Comment

Found a better case:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811152170

Only $10 more and unlike the other one, this one actually has a 3.5" external bay that looks usable. It also has frond audio, which I was looking for.
            sigpic

Comment

Ordering the case... but the PSU may not be up to par. See the attached .PDF of my PSU calcualtions (for the fully built and upgraded system). My 600W from V2 won't work either, as the plug layout isn't quite right either (only 3 SATA's, I'd have to use a fugly adapter). ****!
              Attached Files
              Last edited by ratdude747; 04-03-2013, 03:01 PM. Reason: forgot pdf
              sigpic

Comment

Ordered the case... and one of these:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16815104216

Yeah, it's koutech... but it has an NEC chip, which really is a 5 port chip (not a shitty VIA 4 port where the internal port is tied to an external port). I don't like the header on the inside, so I'll either swap it until the warranty is up or trade it for my modded card in my OOS Compaq.

PSU wise, I'll figure that out. I have a few possible sources...

Edit- PSU will be traded for the mobo... yay.
                Last edited by ratdude747; 04-03-2013, 03:10 PM.
                sigpic

Comment

That case comes with this power supply:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817377027

Looks like it can do 490w on 12v, which matters. It would work with that mb and two processors just fine.

The heatsinks are familiar but I just can't remember who's the OEM that used those often... the UL number on the label is supermicro's so no luck there.
                  Last edited by mariushm; 04-03-2013, 03:22 PM.

Comment

I'm assuming it's a Delta PSU.

Comment

Originally posted by mariushm View Post
                      That case comes with this power supply:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817377027

Looks like it can do 490w on 12v, which matters. It would work with that mb and two processors just fine.
                      Perhaps... I don't buy it though. I'd feel safer with something overkill. I always prefer to have about 15% or more W over the recommended just to keep the temps down and the like...

Keep in mind, that it will have, fully built up:

2x 2.6GHZ Opteron X2's
                      8 2gb DDR400 modules
                      1x ATI Radeon HD4760 AGP
                      1x HDTV QAM tuner (possibly)
                      1x Lightscribe burner
                      1x high speed cdrw
                      4x 10K HDDs w/ 3ware 9500S-4LP controller (not in the pdf's estimate!)

So yeah, it will suck some power... a recalculation after factoring the 3ware card puts it at 584W reccommended.
                      sigpic

Comment

http://techreport.com/review/8295/am...-processors/15

Tyan S2895 with 2 opterons and power management disabled and 4 dimms ... I see a maximum of 300 watts

by the way, make sure the cpus are supported:

http://www.tyan.com/support_download...spx?socketid=9

1MB L2 Cache / AMD Single Core Opteron™: 240, 240EE, 242, 244, 246, 246HE, 248, 248HE, 250, 252, 254, 256

2MB L2 Cache / AMD Dual Core Opteron™ : 265*, 270*, 275*, 280*, 285* (1.8 - 2.6 GHz)

* CPU support for E Stepping CPU requires PCB Revision 04MOAb. See more information here.

The 4760 needs up to about 30-50 watts, the tuner about 10 watts, each dimm maybe about 5-8 watts, the burner about 15 watts when burning
                        The hard drives will add maybe 15-20w each , the controller is light at around 10 watts.

Basically, you're not gonna reach 100 watts over the values measured there, so at best you're gonna do 400w overall, and the psu has 500w in total.

Comment

By the way, here's an ebay auction for 2 opteron 285 for 50$ , it expires in 37 minutes:

edit : screw that, got excited and didn't search exactly for opteron 285... there's sales starting from 15$ for 2 cpus, like this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-of-2-AMD...item565457a58b
                          Last edited by mariushm; 04-03-2013, 04:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mariushm View Post
                            By the way, here's an ebay auction for 2 opteron 285 for 50$ , it expires in 37 minutes:

edit : screw that, got excited and didn't search exactly for opteron 285... there's sales starting from 15$ for 2 cpus, like this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-of-2-AMD...item565457a58b
                            Yeah, $15 a pair for the 285 was posted by 370forlife back on page 1. edit- it's the same listing.

---

I made a few errors in the calculations (wrong amount of RAM, forgot the floppy/card reader)... And now we are at 484W minimum, 534W recommended. Technically, the PSU will work... but I don't feel the greatest about it.

---

RAM came in when I got home today. I used the working half of the board to test all 8 modules... all are good! It's kingston too, barely looks used, almost looked new (the marks on the contacts gave it away). I also used some junk sitting around to simulate some card layouts... so far so good.
                            Last edited by ratdude747; 04-03-2013, 05:27 PM.
                            sigpic

Comment

I made a few errors in the calculations (wrong amount of RAM, forgot the floppy/card reader)... And now we are at 484W minimum, 534W recommended. Technically, the PSU will work... but I don't feel the greatest about it.
                              Please tell me you're not using those stupid online PSU calculators. They are quite shit IMO (no offense).

As for the dead board - what kind of heat sink retention brackets are used on the CPU? I suggest to try the CPUs with the heat sinks on but without the retention brackets installed. Also check the voltages from the VRMs going to both CPUs.
                              As a last resort, maybe try a reflow on the problematic socket.

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
                                Please tell me you're not using those stupid online PSU calculators. They are quite shit IMO (no offense).
                                Ok, so I was. I was at least using one of the better ones.

As for the dead board - what kind of heat sink retention brackets are used on the CPU? I suggest to try the CPUs with the heat sinks on but without the retention brackets installed.
                                I may try that real quick.

Also check the voltages from the VRMs going to both CPUs.
                                Perhaps...

As a last resort, maybe try a reflow on the problematic socket.
                                I doubt that's it... Given that I'm 0 for 2 when it comes to successful reflows, I'm not going there.
                                sigpic

Comment

Running it w/o bracket made no difference. I kept the backplate on since it was adhered pretty tightly (it's thick metal too).

VRM wise, The good CPU's has 1.425V, and the Bad one's had 1.427V, so I doubt that's the issue.
                                  sigpic

Comment

Not feeling good about the PSU... it's a 4 12V rail unit. Given that my system isn't PCI-E based, I bet half the rails aren't really usable in this case... That's why I almost prefer single rail units, you can load up the 12V any way you want and still have full access to the PSU's potential output.
                                    sigpic

Comment

Not feeling good about the PSU... it's a 4 12V rail unit. Given that my system isn't PCI-E based, I bet half the rails aren't really usable in this case... That's why I almost prefer single rail units, you can load up the 12V any way you want and still have full access to the PSU's potential output.
                                      Case and PSU came tonight.

I built it up using the dead board as I haven't gotten the other one fully negotiated yet. Here's a few observances:

1. THe PSU is indeed a 4 rail unit, and based from the 12V color stripes, 2 of the rails are not in use (one goes to PCI-E, the other is a secondary 12V 8 pin). It looks like I need another PSU after all, and preferably one with one 12V rail (since anything of that wattage multi-rail has half the power PCI-E only). I do have a possible source for a PSU...

2. Supermicro got the LED wires on the front panel breakout adapter backwards... Weird! For now I just flipped how it's pluggged to the board/3ware card, but I may fully fix it later.

3. I had to remove the secondary card bracket to install the board... since I'm not using any full length cards, I chose to not re-install it.

4. Otherwise it seemed to build up well... I should have gotten pics... oh well, that will keep things a surprise.

5. I'm pretty impressed with the case. Overall it's a good value for the money.
                                      sigpic

Comment

Forgot to add: I ordered the 2.6GHZ x2 CPUs the other night.

Still looking for a PSU... Finding a well built 500W+ unit using a single 12V rail isn't super easy (I may have a lead on one though).
                                        sigpic

Comment

It will work just fine. They are 95W TDP processors. Assuming 80% efficiency at the VRM's thats 228W maximum draw if you have all 4 cores running balls out. That is 19A, and the OCP trip point on a multirail unit is typically 4-5A higher than the label. I wouldn't worry about it.

Edit:

I run my two Istanbul 2419's with my Hipro 700W (https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...ighlight=hipro). They are 115W TDP and the Hipro's 4 rails all max out at 16A (18A for a short period of time,) and have never had any problems even running all multitudes of benchmarking to max out all 12 cores.
                                          Last edited by 370forlife; 04-08-2013, 12:09 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                          X