X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: highest p3 clock speed?

Originally posted by brethin View Post
    Fastest P3 I know of.
    OK - we are all dying to know how that feat was achieved.

I have a TUSL-C Asus board that allows me to select a CPU speed, but it overclocks the PCI bus and renders my SCSI cards inoperable.

I guess if I go IDE I could crank up the speed.

Comment

Originally posted by bigbeark View Post
      OK - we are all dying to know how that feat was achieved.
      It looks fake to me, but there were PIII boards with DDR memory and PCI locks. Fastest my dual-PIII board does is 166FSB (1.74GHz) but it doesn't get any further than the BIOS with that.

I've been long planning to patch a PCI lock into my board, guess we shall wait and see. I have a 3/4 divider so there will be no problem with the SDRAM at 166MHz. Come to think of it, i wonder whether it can do a different divider too, but i'm not sure if SDRAM can work truly asynchronous. I guess i'll bust out a board that i won't cry for if it breaks, patch a clock generator into it and see what happens.
      Last edited by Th3_uN1Qu3; 10-15-2010, 12:33 PM.
      Originally posted by PeteS in CA
      Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
      A working TV? How boring!

Comment

http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=411593

Achieved with Liquid Nitrogen cooling...

Attached Files
        Mann-Made Global Warming.
        - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
        Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
        -
        You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
        -

Comment

Originally posted by Th3_uN1Qu3 View Post
          It looks fake to me, but there were PIII boards with DDR memory and PCI locks. Fastest my dual-PIII board does is 166FSB (1.74GHz) but it doesn't get any further than the BIOS with that.

I've been long planning to patch a PCI lock into my board, guess we shall wait and see. I have a 3/4 divider so there will be no problem with the SDRAM at 166MHz. Come to think of it, i wonder whether it can do a different divider too, but i'm not sure if SDRAM can work truly asynchronous. I guess i'll bust out a board that i won't cry for if it breaks, patch a clock generator into it and see what happens.
          I have an ASUS CUV266 that is a p3 board that takes DDR memory.

I guess I could try fitting one of those pin-modded Tualatins and see what happens

Comment

He's using Kingmax PC150 RAM.
            - I have a few sticks of that stuff. I ran it in my Athlon Slot A back in the day.
            - Good stuff!
            There was also PC166 RAM but it's even more rare.

I don't think there was ever an official spec for PC150 and PC166 but they did get manufactured by a few companies anticipating that might be the next step in SDRAM.
            Then DDR came out and they got dropped.

-
            Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
            -
            You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
            -

Comment

I used to have some Crucial PC150 256MB modules... and i gave them away. Never got the LN2 bug however, i like to make stuff that can work 24/7. There's nothing more annoying when using a computer than it crashing in the middle of something you hadn't saved in hours.

I had the 300MHz Pentium I (actually it's still in one piece, but i haven't used it in a few years), i will have the 1.7GHz dual Tualatins too. But it'll take a bit of time.
              Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.

Comment

I haven't screwed around with overclocking since maybe Pentium 1 or 2.

I went with the PC150 to run solid/stable at 133 and CL2.
                In 1999 Kingmax PC150 was cheaper than Crucial PC133 7ns so that's what I got.
                The individual RAM chips are 6ns and can supposedly do CL2 at 150MHz.
                Never tried OC with them but they worked great at 133/CL2.

Despite what various ads claim.
                -
                To get 133 really stable at CL2 [without fussing around] you need at least 7ns chips.
                Modules with 7.5ns chips get mixed results and are best used at 133/CL3 or 100/CL2 if you don't want to tinker.

Crucial PC133 with 7ns chips are rock solid at CL2.
                That's my #1 preference in PC133 RAM.

Mine was 6ns but advertised as PC150 at CL2.
                But: the PCxxx ads generally meant xxxMHz at CL3.
                As so:
                PC150 6.5ns - 150MHz/CL3 or 133Mhz/CL2.
                PC166 6.0ns - 166MHz/CL3 or 150Mhz/CL2.
                PC183 5.5ns - 183MHz/CL3 or 166Mhz/CL2.
                [OCZ made PC183. Dunno if anyone else did.]
                But - As there was no official standard all kinds of BS claims were made.

Just saw an ad for PC166 and the chips are 7.5ns. - CALLING BULLSHIT!!
                Last edited by PCBONEZ; 10-15-2010, 03:37 PM.

-

- Dr Seuss
                -
                -

Comment

had some -55 sdram reported to do cl2 at 166 but never got the chance to play with them.i remember them being microbga chips on very low profile dimms.kinda lost interest and a friend wanted them in a trade so they went.
                  wanted to stuff em in my gigabyte dually tually and see if i could push it further.i had already polymodded it.another board sombody else had to have and paid well for it.

Comment

"dually tually"
                    Good one lol

Comment

You may see my contemporary configuration below = yes, that is the actual clock of mine Coppermines minus 1MHz to the FSB = the caps arent what the used to be now . also chcek the thread of my research

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...bit+vp6&page=3
                      Mobo: MSI K8N Master2-FAR CPU: 2x Opteron 265 OC'd @ 2,25GHz RAM: 2x2GB Crucial DDR400 CL3 ECC/Buff. (ECC OFF), VGA: ASUS HD6950 2GB Reference edition FLASHED TO HD6970 HDD: 80GB ATA133 Seagate ,OnBoard: 2xGLAN, 8-Ch. Realtek audio, USB2.0/Firewire, PCIe Physx card PSU: 850W Corsair AX Case: Cooler Master HAF932 + NZXT 5 Fan Controller.

Comment

173MHz FSB???? Dang. You should seriously get a pair of 1.4G PIII-S. And one o' those PCI SATA cards, they are awesome.

Comment

173MHz FSB???? Dang. You should seriously get a pair of 1.4G PIII-S. And one o' those PCI SATA cards, they are awesome.
                          the VP6 supports these CPUs only with appropriate adaptors and supports only one CPU in it, thus using the current CPUs. It actually can be higher than 173 with the top quality rubys in VRMs and near MEM subsystem.
                          Last edited by Shodan486; 10-19-2010, 05:14 PM.
                          Mobo: MSI K8N Master2-FAR CPU: 2x Opteron 265 OC'd @ 2,25GHz RAM: 2x2GB Crucial DDR400 CL3 ECC/Buff. (ECC OFF), VGA: ASUS HD6950 2GB Reference edition FLASHED TO HD6970 HDD: 80GB ATA133 Seagate ,OnBoard: 2xGLAN, 8-Ch. Realtek audio, USB2.0/Firewire, PCIe Physx card PSU: 850W Corsair AX Case: Cooler Master HAF932 + NZXT 5 Fan Controller.

Comment

Originally posted by Shodan486 View Post
                            the VP6 supports these CPUs only with appropriate adaptors.
                            My CUV4X-DLS doesn't support Tualatins either... but that did not stop me from using them. No adapters no nothing, the CPUs had been previously modded as to work with MS6905 Master slotkets, and the same mods worked just fine for this board.

So far i'm at 1.55GHz (147 FSB), the power supply needs some work before i go further. No draw on 12v plus lots of draw on 5v makes an unhappy Xilence. I've been using a second PSU in parallel which is feeding the extra 5/3.3v connector (forgot how it's called), but it's a clunky approach. The real thing will involve a buck converter supplementing the 5v rail with power from the ATX 12v connector which is sitting idle anyway.

Comment

Definitely right with that 12v rail support. Will help, sure about that. I'm using the FSP Epsilon 700W, has 30a on both 5v and 3,3v rail as far as i remember - voltage on 5v drops to 4,75v exactly under the heaviest conditions, not a bit lower, and the 3,3v is pretty much OK, but VP6 can raise it to 3,6v, now using 3,4v and automatic AGP driving strength - crucial to certain cards.

Anyways could you post some pics or links to that gadget of yours - meaning the converter.

Comment

Well there exist actual converters that allow running a FC-PGA2 CPU into a FC-PGA socket, but it actually only involves insulating a few pins and using a resistor to bridge another two. The harder part is the resistor, as you have to solder it directly to the CPU. I'll link to the original article as soon as i find it.

Your system uses less power than mine. When i was on my old GA-6BXDS that was limited to FSB 100 (1GHz) 5v was at 4.75v. When i got the new board, 5v went to 4.5v. So low that it crashed the SATA HDD, right after i'd gotten thru all the trouble to make the almost 4-year old TinyXP install run on the new motherboard. And my Xilence PSU has 32A on the 5v rail. This is also something to keep in mind - same thing with not enough power could happen to you as well.

3.3v is ok because it does use the same transformer output of the 5v rail but it is independently regulated. So the more 3.3v you use, the more 5v goes down.

Comment

Originally posted by Shodan486 View Post
                                  I'm using the FSP Epsilon 700W
                                  Those things will bloat the caps and you'll need some 2200uF 8mm which are a b*tch to find when you need them.

-

- Dr Seuss
                                  -
                                  -

Comment

3.3v is ok because it does use the same transformer output of the 5v rail but it is independently regulated. So the more 3.3v you use, the more 5v goes down.
                                    Definitely right, I've found a crazy fortron with these capabilities:

+3,3 V:90 A
                                    +5 V:68 A
                                    +12 V rail 1:32 A
                                    +12 V rail 2:32 A

My VP6 will enjoy this much of juice, I can feel it - maybe will get 175MHz stable, but I'm starting to be very suspicious about the caps being worn out slowly.

Comment

Tualatin 1300@1733 Mhz on Asus CUSL2-M.

With a standard 220W psu.

Comment

Originally posted by shovenose View Post
                                        is it true that a 1.6ghz p3 would blow away a 1.6ghz p4?
                                        And even a 2.8 P4 in some tasks:

Comment

This is very interesting, but my P3 boards are dually tually's with ServerWorks chipsets so I don't think I can raise them over 133 to begin with. I need to go back and service them with a HD alignment and XP SP3 to see how they do... and an aftermarket PCI video card because I just cannot stand the RageXL sadness.
                                          Presonus Audiobox USB, Schiit Magni 3, Sony MDR-V700

Comment

Working...
                                          X