PcChips (ECS) Goal3+ no power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PcChips (ECS) Goal3+ no power

I was given a machine by a friend that is used to run a CNC machine, and they said it suddenly just stopped turning on one day. I took the board out of the case and immediately noticed a few things.

First, one of the SATA ports is ripped off (there's soldered pins on the bottom)

Second, there's a capacitor missing. What is it's values?

Third, the board is kind screwed up in the bottom right corner

And last was that the entire board was slightly warped.

When power is applied to the board, quite literally nothing happens. Not even a fan twitch. It's as if I'm not even trying to turn it on. Any suggestions?

I've tested with a known good power supply, and replaced the CMOS battery, to no avail. Nothing gets hot, and there's no visibly bad components.

The power supply in the machine (250 watt hipro) was perfectly fine. Tested with another board.

RAM works. Unsure about the Sempron CPU

I'm at a loss. It needs to be this board because the machine interface uses the CNR slot.
    Attached Files

Re: PcChips (ECS) Goal3+ no power

Missing cap should be the same as the one below the transistor. Won't cause no power, but may cause stability issue under load.

The damaged corner could be an issue. I don't think there would be a critical line there, but it could be shorting a power plane to a ground plane for example.

Try to turn on the bare board by shorting the power button pins, just the CPU plugged in and the 24 pins ATX power connector, nothing else (CPU 4 pins power connector disconnected).
    If still nothing (PSU fan doesn't start to spin), measure the voltage you get on the power button pins.
    OpenBoardView — https://github.com/OpenBoardView/OpenBoardView

Comment

Originally posted by piernov View Post
      snip
      Tried that, absolutely nothing happens. Not even a twitch of with fans, CPU or power supply.

If I short PWR_ON to GRND on the 24 pin power connector, the fans both spin.

Comment

Measuring the power pins gives me roughly 3 volts

Comment

Do you see any damaged traces at the edge of the broken corner? (in both sides) 3 volts on the power pin seems reasonable BTW.

Comment

Check jumper settings to make sure Clear CMOS jumper is in proper position. Don't assume that someone hasn't moved it. A lot of motherboard I have will "do nothing" with that jumper set to "clear".

Check motherboard-generated standby rail(s). Typically, you'd find 3.3V, and possibly more (maybe 2.5V, 1.8V, or even 1.5V, depending on hardware.) Seems that your 3.3V standby is likely OK, as you do get about 3.3V on the power switch.

Do you have a POST card? Try it in all of the PCI slots and see what codes you get. If the card sits at "00" or "FF" when you press the power button, BIOS is likely to even trying to load, which means have a closer look into the standby rails and startup logic. On that note, also check the LAN chip to see if it's getting very warm / hot. A bad LAN chip can prevent the motherboard from starting or booting.
            Last edited by momaka; 09-01-2019, 07:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by cpt.charlie View Post
              Do you see any damaged traces at the edge of the broken corner? (in both sides) 3 volts on the power pin seems reasonable BTW.
              It looks like just a big thick ground trace

Comment

CLEAR_CMOS jumper is set to "Normal" position.

I don't own a POST card, unfortunately.

LAN chip doesn't even get warm. Nothing does. The board doesn't even turn on.

Comment

Try to find the schematic of the motherboard, but i don't think it's available, i would say there is a missing signal to the EC or you have a bad EC, normally the board should spin the fans even if there's no post.

Comment

This has a SiS chipset, and unfortunately I don't know the power sequence of those. It seems slightly different to the traditional Intel chipset, and the Super I/O doesn't play as much an important role in initiating the power sequence. Southbridge seems to manage most of it.
                    761GX-M754 schematics is available and most things should be working very similarly.
                    OpenBoardView — https://github.com/OpenBoardView/OpenBoardView

Comment

Working...
                    X