Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Computer jobs that are like kicking yourself in nuts.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Computer jobs that are like kicking yourself in nuts.

Originally posted by coreAngel View Post
    Unfortunately i couldn't find the battery to remove it,turns out the battery was inside. I did manage to replace the battery by taking the bottom piece apart and the battery has to be removed with a screwdriver i did find the battery had bulged a bit.
    Yup, that's how modern laptops are these days - that is, battery is inside and it's almost always now a "softpack" instead of using 18650 cells... hence almost always bulged when it starts going bad (and they DO go bad rather quickly.)
    This is another reason I don't work on modern laptops either - that is, anything made since 2014-2016.

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
    How about an iphone....I hear-tell that people love changing batteries on those...
    Never had one and never service one, so I wouldn't know... and I intend for it to stay this way.

Originally posted by kaboom View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOO5ZVm2EN0

Feel better now?
    Like using a sledgehammer to crack a peanut.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqW4djlQUoE
    Eh. Sadly, no.
    As cool as those crushers are, I just don't see any good in this process as it seems to only generate a bunch of waste. That is, I don't imagine e-waste recycling after electronics going through this to be very efficient - you have plastic pieces mixed with the metals mixed with wires... mixed with everything! I'd be surprised if even 10% of the materials make it back after "recycling". Haven't researched it though, so I could be wrong.

How about we just make nicer stuff so that we don't have to recycle them as often? That'd be nice. If only companies didn't solely care about revenue, though (i.e. planned obsolescence.)

Comment

How about an iphone....I hear-tell that people love changing batteries on those...
      I have repaired phones on occasion , however i do NOT fix Iphones, it takes a lot of patience and being careful, and lots of cursing, but i haven't fixed one in a long time
      Yes i love Nichicon MUSE Audio Capacitors...they would look awesome all over any motherboard

Comment

i fixed one once,
        the older ones are designed to self-distruct.
        rain/water gets in around the home button, runs down the cable and corrodes a connector.
        i'm sure it's by design!!

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
          i fixed one once,
          the older ones are designed to self-distruct.
          rain/water gets in around the home button, runs down the cable and corrodes a connector.
          i'm sure it's by design!!
          Reminds me that I'm glad I don't have an iPhone 6, because my mom's is the only known possibly OK one left.

All the other iPhone 6s in my family, were faulty in one way or another.

The iPhone X-series uses the touchscreen for the home.
          ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

its the old vista "upgrade".
            which consisted of digging xp drivers for stuff that supported it but was intentionally not supported by the mfr of the system.
            no doubt a kickback scheme from micro$not.
            7 WILL become the new xp!

Even worse than that is decrapifying a laptop that came with w10, and trying to find w7 drivers for it. Gotten a few of those......it sucks. Unless I really know the person, I turn them away anymore.

Comment

iPhones are some of the easiest phones to work on and a battery swap with the provided adhesive pull tabs helps loads. 10 minutes tops.

Trying to locate why a customer's emails were slowly disappearing from their inbox even with a fresh install of Windows and Outlook 365, that was like kicking myself in the nuts.

Comment

Originally posted by TechGeek View Post

I have a Samsung Galaxy S5 with a dead touchscreen/digitizer.
                otg cable and usb mouse.
                My pc
                CPU : AMD PHENOM II x4 @ 3.5Ghz
                MB : ASUS M4A89TD PRO USB3
                RAM : Kingston ValueRAM 16gb DDR3
                PSU : Cooler Master 850W Silent Pro
                GPU : ATI Radeon HD 6850

Comment

I used to do screen repairs and board level repairs for phones, not anymore since I refuse to compete with the Facebook have-ago-crowd. Now I do phone repair for data extraction only. However, computers I work almost exclusively on Macbooks board level stuff that said I had two jobs come in recently storage upgrade for a Macbook pro and some Asus jobby running windozer 10. I think you can see where I am going with this, but if anyone wants the whole sorry story then I will post it lol.
                  Last edited by llonen; 05-16-2019, 05:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by llonen View Post
                    I used to do screen repairs and board level repairs for phones, not anymore since I refuse to compete with the Facebook have-ago-crowd. Now I do phone repair for data extraction only. However, computers I work almost exclusively on Macbooks board level stuff that said I had two jobs come in recently storage upgrade for a Macbook pro and some Asus jobby running windozer 10. I think you can see where I am going with this, but if anyone wants the whole sorry story then I will post it lol.
                    Ready for a wall of text.
                    Don't buy those $10 PSU "specials". They fail, and they have taken whole computers with them.

My computer doubles as a space heater.

Permanently Retired Systems:
                    RIP Advantech UNO-3072LA (2008-2021) - Decommissioned and taken out of service permanently due to lack of software support for it. Not very likely to ever be recommissioned again.
                    Asus Q550LF (Old main laptop, 2014-2022) - Decommissioned and stripped due to a myriad of problems, the main battery bloating being the final nail in the coffin.

Kooky and Kool Systems
                    - 1996 Power Macintosh 7200/120 + PC Compatibility Card - Under Restoration
                    - 1993 Gateway 2000 80486DX/50 - Fully Operational/WIP
                    - 2004 Athlon 64 Retro Gaming System - Indefinitely Parked
                    - Main Workstation - Fully operational!

sigpic

Comment

Well here it is then, and seriously you could not make this *&^%$ up

Two computers came in for essentially the same job, 1 Macbook pro, 1 Ausus E402S storage upgrade simples.

Macbook pro some flavour of OS X

Back up customer data to network, use CC to clone drive to new 1TB ssd and fit and test, securely remove customer data from network. Vola

Asus E402S with 32gig board ssd (Thank you very much for your foresight Asus) Windozer 10

Day One

Backup customer data to network, find a disk cloning tool, Esus after a lot of registration and four hours later computer say no. Delete partitions and onto next backup tool Macrium something or other, two hours later computer say no. Inspect SSD to find Macrum has created some unrecognisable formatted partitions, disk-manager wont remove partitions. Use Macbook pro to remove partitions.

Day two

Have to fudge a ISO download of windozer 10 since Microsoft don't directly allow this now, only to find installer say no to disk format. Diskmanager say no to formatting required format, Macbook pro used to format partition for FAT 32, then back to disk-manager for required NTFS format. Windoze installer say No to MBR so Diskpart to to clean and convert to GPT. Windozer say yes another hour later and now can begin recovering customer data from the network. another two hours and vola. Test then securely remove customer data from network.

If you have read this far then this is one of the many and varied reasons I %^&*($£^£ ^^(* windozer,
                      Last edited by llonen; 05-16-2019, 06:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by joshnz View Post
                        otg cable and usb mouse.
                        OTG Hub with mouse and keyboard. Add in a flash drive if you don't feel like messing with the micro SD.
                        sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Originally posted by llonen View Post
                          four hours later computer say no. two hours later computer say no. installer say no to disk format. Diskmanager say no to formatting required format. Windoze installer say No to MBR. Windozer say yes another hour later.
                          wow thats nasty... lol! thats almost as bad as having to deal with a feminist. when the computer or the program says no, u should always respect that! but i guess after asking repeatedly she finally caves in and says yes and gives consent.

this is gonna be quite a dark future ahead for computing if every piece of computer hardware and software behaves like a feminist!

Comment

maybe people in the past had it right,
                            when an electronic device miss-behaves the first thing they did was give it a slap!

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                              maybe people in the past had it right,
                              when an electronic device miss-behaves the first thing they did was give it a slap!
                              Like this?
                              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mw0riLqQBj0

Comment

Working...
                              X