Dell Latitude D820 upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dell Latitude D820 upgrade

Hello, I have a Dell Latitude D820, running Windows Xp professional SP3 I want to change operating systems now since Xp is no longer supported. I would like to chang to Widows 7. I have no idea on how to do this, any help or suggestions would be greatful. Thanks in advance George

Re: Dell Latitude D820 upgrade

Drivers should be available for everything in the unit. It shouldn't be much different than putting 7 on any other unit.
    sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

I had a D820 at one point and I ran Windows 7 on it.

Dell has drivers for everything, and the Vista drivers work with Windows 7 fine. There's nothing special required.

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
        Drivers should be available for everything in the unit. It shouldn't be much different than putting 7 on any other unit.
        Well I have never, had to change operating system befor, so all I have to do, Is purchase windows 7 professional and install the disc, or does my machine need to be wiped clean first. Does the disc do that for you. Keep in mind I have never done this befor. I have a new dell with windows 8 and I hate it. comp cost over $1800. My wife uses it in our office.

Comment

dont you dare pay for it,
          they ow you anyway for forcing win8 on you.
          try duel-booting win7 & linux-mint

Comment

STJ, How and where do you get it. Keep in mind, i'm just a casual user and don't know much about computers. My daughter is the computer genius of the family, and she is out of state now, and won't be visiting for a few months. thanks George

Comment

start here:
              https://www.vuze.com/

Comment

Really? You're advocating pirating an operating system on a forum? Genius! While technically this is a System Builder license so an end user shouldn't be using it just don't call Microsoft for tech support but who does that anyway?

http://www.amazon.com/Windows-Premiu...ium+SP1+64-bit

On a different topic, you can install Start Menu 8 by Iobit, a free software (beware the optional adware) to get rid of most of the annoyances in Windows 8. It will give you a Windows 7-like Start Menu, disable the sidebar, the hot corners, and allow you to boot directly from desktop.
                Last edited by shovenose; 04-25-2014, 11:22 AM.

Comment

no, i'm simply pointing out how to get a re-install image.
                  afterall, he probaby has a machine with a valid license on it.

if i advocate - it's for Linux, not "the devils operating-system"

Comment

Originally posted by shovenose View Post
                    Really? You're advocating pirating an operating system on a forum? Genius! While technically this is a System Builder license so an end user shouldn't be using it just don't call Microsoft for tech support but who does that anyway?

http://www.amazon.com/Windows-Premiu...ium+SP1+64-bit

On a different topic, you can install Start Menu 8 by Iobit, a free software (beware the optional adware) to get rid of most of the annoyances in Windows 8. It will give you a Windows 7-like Start Menu, disable the sidebar, the hot corners, and allow you to boot directly from desktop.
                    Thanks Guys, All this is way beyond me, and I definately don't want to do anything illegal. Thanks for the help. My machine does have a license already, but I still do not know how to do, what your telling me. I think i'll just purchase win 7, and get someone to install, who knows what they are doing, because its definately not me! thanks again, George

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                      no, i'm simply pointing out how to get a re-install image.
                      afterall, he probaby has a machine with a valid license on it.

if i advocate - it's for Linux, not "the devils operating-system"
                      Nope, The Dx20's and Dx30's were SLIC'd for Vista and below. Yes, one CAN mod the bios to activate 7 but I'm not going there on a public sub-forum.
                      sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Working...
                      X