Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tyco spi270f4b24 ATX supply repair tips (not starting)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tyco spi270f4b24 ATX supply repair tips (not starting)

Good day folks. Another challenge was issued to me today: fixing a dedicated ATX supply for a cash register terminal monitor or some junk, doesn't really matter. It's a Tyco spi270f4b24 and of course there's no info available on it, so I was hoping based on some of the pics and discussions that someone would look at this thing and suggest a similar one they've encountered, or at least point to a similar issue. The pics are not spectacular - bad lighting, constant pet-peeve at this new shop

The supply is not starting: standby is present at the output, but nothing happens when you short the green wire to GND. Actually there IS something happening: a click is hear, kinda like a relay closing, and then it does it again after it's unplugged. No relay on the board though It's made relatively complicated by those two riser boards, "computers" as I call them. It's worth noting that I took on this project somewhat "second-hand", meaning others have messed around with this supply before me, some of the components have been changed, caps were changed, even the controller chips on the risers were swapped, from what the guy who handed it over to me told me, so it would be great if I were the one who actually did it.

The closest we got to actually diagnosing the fault was one of the optoisolators: the reason it's sticking up in the air like that (you can just about make it out in one of the pics, soldered to the UNDERside of the board), is because my workmate suggested measuring the resistance across the "transistor" side of it, as he's thinking the primary is not receiving the "ON" signal. There is a resistance drop on those pins when power is applied indeed, but if I install the opto back in its place the way it should be, nothing happens: there's 14v on one side and 1v on the other and my colleague thinks this voltage should make it across to get to the IC on the riser board. Indeed, the trace from the optoisolator does lead to a pin of the riser, but I haven't dissected the supply enough to know what those ICs actually are. My fairly modest knowledge of ATX SMPSs would tell me one is a PFC controller and the other is the "run" controller for the outputs. "V-AUX" is present (those 14v I was mentioning), but it's not jumping across the optoisolator despite this guy replacing several of them...I still think the control IC is not functioning, but that doesn't explain why there's no VCC going through to the IC. I THINK this place has some oscilloscopes I could source to probe those output pins of the ICs after we identify them. Better yet, power the ICs with a bench supply at their rated voltage to see if 1: I get an abnormal current draw which would mean something's shorted and 2 if the IC pulses the gates of the FETs as it should (it's obviously NOT, but this will also help determine whether it's a power issue or an IC issue).

No shorts or anything obvious unfortunately on the board...any help from people more skilled with ATX supplies would be great...I used to fix these relative ease, but I haven't done it in quite a while (not wanting to bother) and it seems now I need it but I forgot how to do it

I forgot my past, my humble beginnings when I was just a skinny lad with his multimeter probing away at ATX supplies and fixing them for a quick buck....it's all SMDs now, supplies are getting more and more complex.....*sad*
    Attached Files
    Wattevah...

Re: Tyco spi270f4b24 ATX supply repair tips (not starting)

wrf is that?
    i would have thrown it at the owner!!

raped & butchered!

Comment

Yeah, looks like sh!t I know....told you it's been sodomized At this point it would probably be easy just to adapt another supply, but still: I like a good challenge. Space is at a premium inside this thing, so obviously any old ATX won't fit.
      Wattevah...

Comment

look for a shuttle psu - and re-cap it.

Comment

It's an FSP according to the UL code E190414.

That riser control board reminds me of units from the 80's that used the same- except they were thru-hole, not SMT...

The "click" you hear could be either the main supply or PFC booster starting into a short and shutting down. Check the sec rectifiers for shorts, easily by plugging ohmmeter into the output leads. Red wire into each output, black wire to sec common- any black wire on molex/ATX plugs. Be sure the sec caps are discharged first.

If they check out, PFC could be starting and shutting down. Check boost voltage across the big cap- first in standby, then when connecting PS-ON. If booster is working, you should see the voltage increase. Again, measure across the boost cap for this. You may have to solder leads on and attach to your meter's clips.

When the booster is running, you'll have ~400V DC on that cap.

Do the outputs give a "pulse" of voltage when attempting to power up? Try a 12V fan directly connected to the +12 output.
          You can't always use the internal fan to check this, since there may be a controller/resistor- it is an FSP after all...

It's not fun when dealing with a "gotten to" unit either.
          Last edited by kaboom; 11-23-2018, 10:35 PM.
          "pokemon go... to hell!"

EOL it...
          Originally posted by shango066
          All style and no substance.
          Originally posted by smashstuff30
          guilty,guilty,guilty,guilty!
          guilty of being cheap-made!

Comment

Ironically, in one of the repair shops where I worked a while back, I had a PSU very similar to this to fix. I don't remember if it was made by SPI/Forton specifically, but it was for a POS/cash register system too. It had a blown APFC side and fuse. I didn't know how to fix it at the time, so we just replaced it with a regular ATX PSU wired externally with long wires (ghetto solution, but owner was okay with that).

Anyways... regarding your unit, I see an optocoupler removed and soldered on the bottom. Make sure that opto is soldered the right way - not just diode to diode side and output to output side, but that the pins for the diode and output are also wired correctly. If the diode, for example, is reverse-biased, of course the output side won't pass current. So that's #1 thing on the list.

Next, check the voltage across the primary cap when you jumper PS_ON to ground (make sure you got some load on the PSU too). Most likely, it should go to at least 360V. Any less means it's probably not boosting.

#3: can you tell us what ICs are in this PSU? APFC chip? PWM chip? (I suspect UC384x family, if not CM6800 PWM-APFC combo). Supervisor?

Yes, it's a good challenge, but when it comes to electronics, I sometimes really hate working on other people's half-assed jobs, lol.

*EDIT*
            Seems like I'm repeating a lot of what Kaboom has said. Should have refreshed the page before typing my post.
            Last edited by momaka; 11-23-2018, 11:00 PM.

Comment

Silly question: what does FSP stand for ?

I didn't try any of the "major" stuff personally (like measuring the output for shorts or checking large components etc) because I PRESUMED any of the guys before with the least bit of electronics knowledge would've done that first thing....of course you never know. I delved straight into the nitty-gritty of the PSU without checking major stuff first, which I shall just for good measure. One thing is certain: nothing was burnt to a crisp from the get-go, it just wouldn't start up.

About the optoisolator: I mentioned in my original post, but since I tend to write a lot people often give up and miss certain details: it's soldered like that solely for testing so we could measure the resistance across the internal transistor (the legs sticking out in the air) when the LED lights up when the PS_ON command is sent (green wire to GND). The LED does light up, because standby is handled by a small 8 pin IC and transformer (you can see them towards the edge of the board).

PFC most likely doesn't start because there's no VCC AUX being sent to the ICs (what actually turns them on). I also said I'd track down and measure the actual VCC pin of the IC rather than assuming the optocoupler is connected straight to the VCC pin. There's most likely going to be a resistor in there too.

Might not start without a load: that's another thing that needs to be tested.

I shall post more info about the ICs when I can get to them.
              Last edited by Dannyx; 11-24-2018, 04:55 AM.
              Wattevah...

Comment

FSP seems to make acceptable PSUs...

Wish it were true that you can make assumptions of previous attempts, but it rarely turns out to be the case, and have to do all of the analysis over again

Comment

Oh so it's a brand

Tomorrow it's back to work on this PSU, so I'll start by measuring for shorts just for good measure and also check the ICs and post back.
                  Wattevah...

Comment

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FSP_Group
                    PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
                    To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

Originally posted by kaboom View Post
                      It's an FSP according to the UL code E190414.
                      A look at the Label would already have told you that
                      As they didn't even change that, just put their name instead of FSP on it.

And there is the SPI (Sparkle Power Incorporated??) Number on the PSU as well, wich points also towards FSP...

Comment

Turns out I was wrong: there's only ONE IC on the primary - the other one is on the secondary.
                        The one on the primary is a CM6800 so VCC is on pin 13 which is indeed connected to the other side of the photocouple. My buddy suggested jumping across the optocoupler, but I'm not sure that's a good idea...

Also, the secondary DOES seem to go up for a brief moment - like 1-2v, so it looks like it's shutting down for some reason...the IC on the secondary is a PS223 and it's supposed to "sink" the cathode of the LED in the photocoupler to GND when it's issued a "PS_ON" command. This works, because I removed the "output" leg on the primary side of the optocoupler and there was 14v going through when the green wire is shorted to GND and it disappeared when it was removed. Still, when I put it back in, it's being shut off by the secondary I THINK, so my buddy's assumption was flawed all along and I rest my case: I've NEVER seen a bad optocoupler causing issues in a PSU...
                        Last edited by Dannyx; 11-26-2018, 03:37 AM.
                        Wattevah...

Comment

Follow-up: today, my co worker messed around with this supply some more after I put it aside for a while. I'm not entirely sure what he did to it, but it's a step in the right direction, annoyingly enough

From what I gather (the old man himself forgot what he did to it ), he pulled off the CM6800 and replaced it with another one from a different supply, along with a small SMD cap on its VCC pin and also the PC223 on the secondary. This I believe is the second/third time he's replaced these ICs and the PS223 was actually a PS224 originally. Today he noticed a difference on pin 9 between the two. One is called Pext and the other OTP...funnily enough the original 224 used Pext, whereas the board actually has an NTC on there which would make it more suited for the 223 which has NTC "support" (or it could very well be for fan control and not involved in any temperature sensing)...he put back the original 224 and somehow, all of these combined lead to 14v passing through the optocoupler which originally caused so much trouble...my money is on the PS224 - there was nothing wrong with the primary to begin with.

It's not fixed yet though because he's tested it through a series lighbulb on the mains which stays on constantly because of the PFC booster - it's not a defect, I've seen it happen many times on PFC circuits. The added current limit prevents the circuit from going up to 400v which forces the "pump" circuit to stay on to try to compensate, thus drawing a lot of current, but it works fined if you attempt a startup straight on the mains. No major components were popped if you think about it.
                          Wattevah...

Comment

Well that didn't work so well and we broke the damn thing: a startup on the mains was somewhat successful, in that the fan started to spin, but here's the weird part: the green wire wasn't jumped to GND, yet the thing turned on...it worked for a few seconds then something popped in the secondary (I saw a little spark in the general area of the heatsink), but even inspect it for hours today I COULD NOT see what the hell popped there to cause that light I saw...there aren't even any components there !
                            Wattevah...

Comment

Just discovered another hurdle: there's a dedicated 6P connector (beside the 24p one) where the brown wires are 24v outputs, which are obviously not found on any ol' crappy ATX supply, so adapting one is not possible, even if it were to physically fit in the enclosure. I realised this only when looking at the top cover again that it said "24v (BROWN)", because I was seriously considering replacing the whole unit at this point. What threw me off all this time is that the point on the board where the bundle of brown wires is soldered and crimped is marked as "+3.3VSN", so I just assumed it's another 3.3v rail and I could adapt that from the regular 3.3v line on a standard ATX, but no...don't know which to trust: board or cover

I actually started doodling a schematic of the riser board in MS Paint...it's going slow with all those SMDs, but I'm doing it...
                              Wattevah...

Comment

it probably turned on because of that fuckery with the opto-isolator!

Comment

I also don't imagine this thing running with a 223 instead of a 224 because of the slight differences on pin 9 - this is why I began drawing a schematic (a software better suited for this purpose might've been better than MS Paint, but hey....). I'm now back to square one where there's some voltage coming on briefly at startup, but then shuts down (this with a series lightbulb, so it could be normal). Still, something popped there for sure but I can't find it...might have to start removing components, since something could be buried towards the board and I can't see it. Why don't people have DVRs in their eyes ?
                                  Wattevah...

Comment

Schematic is almost complete and it's a good thing I spend all that time with a M/M probing each and every single component because I did spot a f-up: there was a short created by solder blob between a ground plane and a components lead which was not supposed to go to GND (I think the FGO pin, which also explains why the supply fired up by itself for no reason back there)...
                                    Wattevah...

Comment

Here's the schematic for the riser board with the PS224 IC, I'm just gonna leave it here for people to analyze, but it's provided "as-is", so it may not be correct and it's also rather crudely drawn in MS Paint.

There's a couple of unknown SOT-23 components on there, but I ASSUMED they're equivalents of KIA431, because there's another one of these controlling the feedback optocoupler for the 5VSB bus and they bear the same marking, A98F, so by analysing its pins and comparing them to the ones on the riser, I concluded they're the same: anode at GND, cathode to whatever's being controlled and the REF pin to a resistor divider usually.

The values on the resistors are the actual markings on them to help me follow along easier as I'd get lost otherwise. I don't think there's anything wrong with this circuit, but there WAS a short there which I now removed - it was between pin 3 of PS224 and GND, causing the LED in the optocoupler to turn on as soon as power was applied regardless of what the PS224 was doing. Don't know why this caused something to pop though and I sure hope it's the PS223 currently on there that popped, since it will be replaced anyway with the correct 224 part.
                                      Attached Files
                                      Last edited by Dannyx; 12-04-2018, 04:48 AM. Reason: Reposted due to error in Schematic
                                      Wattevah...

Comment

v2.0 Corrections, tidied up. This might happen later on too, so sorry for posting so often
                                        Attached Files
                                        Wattevah...

Comment

Working...
                                        X