Capcom CPS1 with Unicon and Tk capacitors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Capcom CPS1 with Unicon and Tk capacitors

Hello. I have a broken Capcom CPS1 A board that uses Unicon and Tk capacitors. These electrolytics are only in the audio section of the circuit, the rest of the board has ceramic capacitors and tantalums. In my experience the Tk are almost always way out of spec.

I wonder if these capacitors may damage other parts of the circuit in spite of being only in the audio section. I've read that the custom chip CPS-A-01 has an exceptionally high failure rate, would be possible that these capacitors affect it when the board is running? apart from the risk of electrolyte leaking, would be electrically safe to run the board with the stock capacitors?

Board photo: http://fast1.onesite.com/capcom-unit...3.jpg?v=269400
    Schematics (PDF): https://cdn.badcaps-static.com/pdfs/...e133e9e8b0.pdf

Re: Capcom CPS1 with Unicon and Tk capacitors

no, the caps are only for audio.
    and because the board is not enclosed they dont usually fail.
    the audio cpu does - it's the wrong part number.
    they used a z80 and overclocked it instead of using a z80a.

so what's wrong with your board?

Comment

Thanks. I was looking to get a working CPS1 board and this is good to hear since I don't plan to use it enclosed. Yeah, I heard about that Z80 issue and I already got some Z80A replacements

I got this board as seen in the photo and I've not tested it yet since it lacks some 74LSxx integrated circuits so I have to solder them first, and I also need B+C boards... dunno if just connecting the A board gives some useful output. Any other think like check for short circuits or voltages in the connectors to check before plugging a game board?

I attach some photos of the board as I got it. I already cleaned the flux residues in the custom chip.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Y. Signal; 11-11-2018, 02:22 PM.

Comment

no idea, i never tried to run one without the full stack.
        strange that you even have it like that - there must be some bitch collecting rom boards like game cartridges!

Comment

Working...
        X