Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chinese 845GL Motherboard [ Recapping ]

Hi Guys ,
    My name is Amarbir and i am from india .I ran a Computer & Portable Audio store here [ That i have closed ] . Diversifying this financial year to " Data Recovery " and Sale Of Electronic Instruments And Tools and Also Repair and Maintenance Tools .I Will also Include Some Other Services Regarding Computer and audio that i might like later . Started electronics since class 3 as a hobbyist now i am 37 years old and still cannot get it off my head .I have a passion to collect good gadgets for helping me do my work and experiments .

In my data recovery business we have some tools that work solely with some el cheapo chinese make motherboards .The chipset of the motherboard is 845gl .This motherboard has 20 capacitors in total .Here goes the list

1 : 2200 micro farad / 16 volts X 2 Units
    2 : 2200 micro farad / 6.3 volts X 5 Units
    3 : 1000 Micro Farad / 6.3 Volts X 4 Units
    4 : 220 Micro Farad / X 7 Units
    5 : 100 Micro Farad / X 2 Units

All are Caps With "HR" written on them ,have no idea who the manufacturer is .Anyways my observation is that the caps 2200 micro farad 6.3 volts and the 1000 microfard 6.3 volts are the once that go bad more often cos this board is always on when we are using these machines for data recovery .I Planned To change all 20 of them ,Is this a wise step or i should stuck myself to change just serial no 1,2,3 .I have a bunch of old 478 socket motherboards and i could take off good capacitors from there and put in this system .I would like to do this first so that i could start my two pc's asap .Once things are rolling i would like to order top grade caps with your assistance on the forums and then recap the same board again with those .The tools for Testing i have Are the following

1 : Protek 608 Multimeter
    2 : Dick Smith Kit for ESR Meter By BOB PARKER Not The New Blue ESR Meter
    3 : Goot Soldering station
    4 : Quick Hot Air to preheat board at large ground plane .
    6 : Inspection Glass

Re: Chinese 845GL Motherboard [ Recapping ]

Well,
    No Response From such a Great Forum ? .any Clarification Needed

Comment

give us a pic of the caps in question. I'm not finding much on HR by itself
      Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
      ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

Originally posted by Uranium-235 View Post
        give us a pic of the caps in question. I'm not finding much on HR by itself

Sir ,
        Today i Am sorting Out My 20 Years collection Of Caps .Will Get Them Out And Show It To The Forum Users .

Comment

I don't know what electronics suppliers are available to you in India, but I'm pretty sure Topcat (the owner of this site) sends caps to most countries. So, here's what I'd recommend to replace your caps

1 : 2200 micro farad / 16 volts X 2 Units - https://www.badcaps.net/store/produc...roducts_id=167 (Assuming they are 12.5mm Diameter)
          2 : 2200 micro farad / 6.3 volts X 5 Units - https://www.badcaps.net/store/produc...roducts_id=168
          3 : 1000 Micro Farad / 6.3 Volts X 4 Units - https://www.badcaps.net/store/produc...roducts_id=131
          4 : 220 Micro Farad / X 7 Units - https://www.badcaps.net/store/produc...products_id=53 (Assuming they are 16V or less)
          5 : 100 Micro Farad / X 2 Units - can probably be left alone
          I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by c_hegge View Post
            I don't know what electronics suppliers are available to you in India, but I'm pretty sure Topcat (the owner of this site) sends caps to most countries. So, here's what I'd recommend to replace your caps

1 : 2200 micro farad / 16 volts X 2 Units - https://www.badcaps.net/store/produc...roducts_id=167 (Assuming they are 12.5mm Diameter)
            2 : 2200 micro farad / 6.3 volts X 5 Units - https://www.badcaps.net/store/produc...roducts_id=168
            3 : 1000 Micro Farad / 6.3 Volts X 4 Units - https://www.badcaps.net/store/produc...roducts_id=131
            4 : 220 Micro Farad / X 7 Units - https://www.badcaps.net/store/produc...products_id=53 (Assuming they are 16V or less)
            5 : 100 Micro Farad / X 2 Units - can probably be left alone
            Sir ,
            initial plans are to use the spares i have in stock on the motherboards i have and the motherboards are head due to other issues other then caps

Comment

There was no real need for this post your question is a waste of time. You intend to
              recap 2 motherboards with bad caps with poor caps off other boards you already have.
              You dont really need any advice - just go ahead and do it and let us know how you get on.
              I suspect from your other post that you dont have any 220 uf caps and were hoping to use 330uf caps which have degraded to 220uf

The only sound advice - recap with good quality caps has been provided.
              Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
              http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

Originally posted by selldoor View Post
                There was no real need for this post your question is a waste of time. You intend to
                recap 2 motherboards with bad caps with poor caps off other boards you already have.
                You dont really need any advice - just go ahead and do it and let us know how you get on.
                I suspect from your other post that you dont have any 220 uf caps and were hoping to use 330uf caps which have degraded to 220uf

The only sound advice - recap with good quality caps has been provided.
                Well,
                No Way I Do Not Intend To Recap The Two chinese boards with el cheapo caps off other boards .I took out about a bunch of the boards and handpicked some good quality caps off boards like original intel And Some other brands and took out the caps from them .This is what i did today with all the support i got from the forum .I Decided I Would Just Recap The Following Once Only .

1 : 2200 micro farad / 16 volts X 2 Units
                2 : 2200 micro farad / 6.3 volts X 5 Units
                3 : 1000 Micro Farad / 6.3 Volts X 4 Units

I Tested Each Old Cap i took Out for the following tests .

1 : Open And Short Circuit Test On a Multimeter " analogue One "
                2 : Capacitance Testing On a Digital Multimeter The Protek 608 Within 10% specs
                3 : Checked ESR value of all the caps that i intended to put online .

I have completed the same and the boards are back to life ,I am just stress testing the same now .I did take some excellent pics off the process and hope to update them online if i do get the time .

Comment

keep in mind, just because its a 'good board' doesn't mean it has good brand caps. I've seen intel boards with cheap UCC KZG's before. Look for the following brands:

rubycon: "K" stamp
                  Sanyo: off "K" stamp
                  panasonic: wierd T stamp, how can I explain, ahh: http://www.rock-grotto.co.uk/v3v3/DSCF2152.jpg
                  Nichicon: X stamp, nothing between '04 and '06 on date codes

Comment

^
                    The problem HMs were '01 - '05
                    I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

I see nothing wrong with attempting to recap a socket 478 board with used capacitors as long as they check good for capacitance and ESR. Reason being that the entire socket 478 platform is pretty much near the point where it is no longer cost effective to repair with new caps. Of course other's opinions will differ on this, but considering how cheap LGA775 boards and used celerons are nowadays it makes no sense in my opinion to plunk down an hour's labor and $15-20 dollars worth of caps on some energy inefficient system that takes overpriced RAM, uses underhorsepowered AGP graphics cards, and consumes two to three times the electricity of a newer platform.

Comment

Originally posted by Evil Lurker View Post
                        I see nothing wrong with attempting to recap a socket 478 board with used capacitors as long as they check good for capacitance and ESR. Reason being that the entire socket 478 platform is pretty much near the point where it is no longer cost effective to repair with new caps. Of course other's opinions will differ on this, but considering how cheap LGA775 boards and used celerons are nowadays it makes no sense in my opinion to plunk down an hour's labor and $15-20 dollars worth of caps on some energy inefficient system that takes overpriced RAM, uses underhorsepowered AGP graphics cards, and consumes two to three times the electricity of a newer platform.
                        Sir ,
                        You Missed This from my first post "In my data recovery business we have some tools that work solely with some el cheapo chinese make motherboards .The chipset of the motherboard is 845gl ."

Comment

Originally posted by Amarbir[CDRLABS] View Post
                          Sir ,
                          You Missed This from my first post "In my data recovery business we have some tools that work solely with some el cheapo chinese make motherboards .The chipset of the motherboard is 845gl ."

Oh ok I think I understand now... so what your saying is you have a lot of very expensive software that when the motherboard dies, the software dies too because the two are "married" and you can't install the software on any other machine because of anti-piracy or licensing protections built into the software.

If that is the case then money is no option contact the owner of this forum Topcat for replacement capacitors. Yes you can probably source them cheaper and faster in your own country, but if you purchase them here you are guaranteed to get first quality genuine Japanese manufactured capacitors which could save a lot of headaches down the road. Also you may look into purchasing used boards in working condition locally and swapping BIOS chips if you need an exact replacement.

Comment

i'm curious as to what the name of these tools are

Comment

All cap available in india, but you need low esr and 105'c should be replace all new caps.
                              because caps are using in electronic circuits day by day and year , changing value by heat.

Comment

i'm curious as to what the name of these tools are
                                PCI 3000 (Chinese)

Comment

I think it should work with any intel 845 based chipset.

you can go through websites with old hardware listings and find model numbers, then maybe find what you need on ebay

I certainly ran across tons of that shit in my time at goodwill

Comment

Originally posted by Amarbir[CDRLABS] View Post
                                    Well,
                                    No Response From such a Great Forum ? .any Clarification Needed
                                    I am sure you will get some helpful responses when you ask real questions with real details. I am not going to rip apart all your posts but things like "EL Cheapo Chinese made motherboard with 845GL chipset" doesn't tell us shit.
                                    Try providing Brand/Model names when asking for help, pictures are a plus too. When it comes to help with capacitors you need to provide more information than just the capacitance and voltage, again pictures are a plus.

What we don't need to know is your resume and what tools (toys) you have.

Comment

actually I asked him what software he was using to come to the conclusion that consumer boards eventually die no matter how good or bad the caps are. hes going to eather find more 845 boards or move to something different in a few years

Comment

Working...
                                      X