X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: the gutless, bloated, and fried power supply hall of shame

Originally posted by Wester547 View Post
    CRT TVs / monitors aren't nearly as hard on their caps as LCD TVs / monitors are.

Heh, it's only 3 years old. The real test of any bad cap is time.

One could also chalk that up to the inconsistency that is characteristic of many bad crap brands.
    Inconsistency true, but seeing as they've been the same for so long, and that the datasheets haven't changed in ages other than for looks I'm not buying it.

They may not be as hard on the caps, but then there's people like Samsung that used them. One might argue KSC branded caps are bad, meanwhile Apple also used them in their PSUs, just opened one from over 10 years ago recently, the caps are all KSC and doing fine. Same can go for Beryl, Lscon, Su'Scon etc. I blame the manufacturers more than anything.
    Popcorn.

Comment

Originally posted by jazzie366 View Post
      They may not be as hard on the caps, but then there's people like Samsung that used them. One might argue KSC branded caps are bad, meanwhile Apple also used them in their PSUs, just opened one from over 10 years ago recently, the caps are all KSC and doing fine. Same can go for Beryl, Lscon, Su'Scon etc. I blame the manufacturers more than anything.
      That's exactly the problem with crap cap brands - some will run 10+ years and some will die in a year or less.
      Yes, it is important how the cap is used in the device and if abused by heat, excessive ripple, and whatnot. But still, I have seen way too many crap cap brands last only a little bit in one device and much longer in the same model device - particularly in PC PSUs. So I still rather avoid crap cap brands when possible - or at least when doing repairs for other people. For my own stuff, I often leave the device alone until a problem surfaces. Or in some cases, I replace only the caps that are most critical and can cause damage if they failed.
      Last edited by momaka; 10-04-2017, 06:15 PM.

Comment

I’ve seen many a failed KSC in Huntkey PSUs, the same PSUs in which Fcon and Teapo regularly blow up (along with a host of relatively unknown Chinese brands). KSC don’t always show visible signs of failure either. Yes, they may be better than CapXon, Sacon/Evercon/GSC, YEC, Stone, Rulycon/Jee, Goldlink, pre-merger G-Luxon, Jackcon, Hermei, Arcon, Chhsi, Fuhjyyu, etc, but that doesn’t make them trustworthy.

My takeaway is that such brands (and bad series) should not be used in mission critical / heavy duty applications at the very least, such as a workstation or a server PSU or motherboard.
        Last edited by Wester547; 10-04-2017, 07:11 PM.

Comment

What? That has full wave bridge rectification? There are 4 diodes right outside the AC input.
          I wasn't talking about that one, watch closely to what you're quoting.

I was talking about the one _I_ had, and prepare to wince in pain where three diodes AND the feedback circuitry were omitted for cost savings:
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by eccerr0r View Post

I was talking about the one _I_ had, and prepare to wince in pain where three diodes AND the feedback circuitry were omitted for cost savings:
            HOLYSHIT

Is that a measly 47uF smoothing cap on the output?!
            Popcorn.

Comment

noname pos at supply found in industrial equipment.
              more wire jumpers than parts.
              Attached Files

Comment

what regulation?
                and who cares about line/load isolation?

Comment

Yeah that wall wart was a real POS. I wonder how well it'd perform if I added the missing parts...

Comment

Oh yeah baby, there's that diode treatment too

That AT unit, so some turning machine or something like that?
                    Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Exclusive caps, meters and more!
                    Hardware Insights - power supply reviews and more!

Comment

Yeah that wall wart was a real POS. I wonder how well it'd perform if I added the missing parts...
                      Maybe you can take a look at this one and tell me if it can output 2 amps.
                      (this one you can't fill in the missing parts)

When it arrived i found out it was broken. (the seller is shipping me a new one for no extra cost even though i just wanted a refund, oh well)
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by RukyCon; 10-13-2017, 11:40 PM.
                      I'm not a expert, I'm just doing my best.

Comment

Maybe about an amp. I presume the blue cap is not safety-rated.
                        Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Comment

Originally posted by Behemot View Post
                          Maybe about an amp. I presume the blue cap is not safety-rated.
                          You are right about the blue capacitor not being safety rated.
                          Also the primary capacitor is a fake Ymin LKL 6.8uf 400v capacitor. (Two reasons why i think the Ymin cap is fake. #1 the print on the heatshrink looks like crap and #2 the maximum temperature rating on the capacitor is "125°C" when on the datasheet it says it should be 130°C)

Comment

Originally posted by kc8adu View Post
                            It reminded me of this, it's kinda the opposite where the PSU is fine, but just as many jumper wires
                            https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...postcount=1039
                            "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Originally posted by Wester547 View Post
                              I've seen many a failed KSC in Huntkey PSUs, the same PSUs in which Fcon and Teapo regularly blow up (along with a host of relatively unknown Chinese brands). KSC don't always show visible signs of failure either. Yes, they may be better than CapXon, Sacon/Evercon/GSC, YEC, Stone, Rulycon/Jee, Goldlink, pre-merger G-Luxon, Jackcon, Hermei, Arcon, Chhsi, Fuhjyyu, etc, but that doesn't make them trustworthy.

My takeaway is that such brands (and bad series) should not be used in mission critical / heavy duty applications at the very least, such as a workstation or a server PSU or motherboard.
                              Yeah, Huntkey was BestBuy's house brand right? I know currently Insignia is, and they are still using the same OEM from ages ago, still using fCon cabps in them. I know they aren't all fCon now though, some of them are Taicon on the secondary, some are fCon and they're quite large values (3300uF and 2200uF seemed to be the most common ones).

Yes, I know it doesn't make the caps trustworthy, but I'm still blaming the manufacturers of the power supplies for the failures, seeing as in other applications, albeit they were smaller, they lasted and are still good to this day. So while that might not make them "amazing" capacitors, but they're at least half decent so I'd assume if they were ran well under spec they'd be fine.
                              Popcorn.

Comment

Originally posted by ruky con View Post
                                You are right about the blue capacitor not being safety rated.
                                Also the primary capacitor is a fake Ymin LKL 6.8uf 400v capacitor. (Two reasons why i think the Ymin cap is fake. #1 the print on the heatshrink looks like crap and #2 the maximum temperature rating on the capacitor is "125°C" when on the datasheet it says it should be 130°C)
                                That is in fact, a fake Ymin. The vent is wrong, and it's pushed in. That's the #1 sign of a fake cap, the vent. That's a common cheapo way of putting a vent on a crap cap. They use a punching machine to put the vent in without supporting the bottom of the can, so it just presses in. This almost ALWAYS makes contact with the foil on top, so if it's a high voltage cap, the WHOLE CASE it live at mains voltage. Now, this might be true for most caps, except in this case, there is an incredible current behind it.

And the printing with the logo is wrong, there should be more spacing between it. The spec of temp being wrong is also a dead giveaway.

I'm curious as to why there are so many fakes of brands like these. One thing I've started to notice is that they all are re-wrapped. I've found knife marks and scratching on the cases of crap caps, indicating that the fakers are buying caps from someone, and then re-wrapping them.

There's a brand of cap called Orient that I'm suspicious of being behind this. I've received some of their caps from cheap china lots, and what I've seen is that they re-wrap their caps with newer wrappings on them, meaning they've taken older stock and re-wrapped it with newer wrappings to make them look new. It makes me suspicious that there's some fuckery going on there.
                                Popcorn.

Comment

Recycling is a big thing in the west, so China's just trying to catch up. So we send them ships filled with e-waste, and they try to reuse everything. Either whole refurbished and repacked boards, or at least as a spare parts. In worst case they disassemble it to the basic components and resell those. Back here OFC. They've been doing that for some time now with lithium cells. Obviously they moved forward and started re-wrapping caps too.

I bought some used MOSFETs some time ago with new electrodes stamped onto the old ones. This may actually be the cheapest way how to obtain genuine power FETs from China as they won't be faking used transistors when there is so many genuine ones going back for free. Among the new ones, if it is really cheap, 99 % of them are fakes.

Kinda makes you wonder why ppl are so dumb to send it there for free (throwing it to those like an all eco-friendly-whatever-crap e-waste bins and making some subsidised suckers rich) and than buy it back again as a „new one“ on sale from fleebay etc.…

Comment

Originally posted by Behemot View Post
                                    Kinda makes you wonder why ppl are so dumb to send it there for free (throwing it to those like an all eco-friendly-whatever-crap e-waste bins and making some subsidised suckers rich) and than buy it back again as a „new one“ on sale from fleebay etc.…
                                    Semiconductor companies and component distributors are going to make more profit selling next year's designs to new industry than anyone selling recycled parts to repair technicians.

Average consumer Joe doesn't know what a MOSFET is, but he can buy a new TV for $199 on sale so he doesn't care anyway.

Only people like us care, but we are not a high profit market. China makes a profit because they get all the e-waste for free (or get paid to take it) and the market is bigger than zero, so they're still not losing money and they don't seem to care about tiny profit margins (for now).
                                    "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
                                    -David VanHorn

Comment

I just noticed some scratches on the vent like someone used a knife on this capacitor. This makes me believe that this capacitor is indeed second hand.
                                      Last edited by RukyCon; 10-14-2017, 04:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kc8adu View Post
                                        Awesome!

With mostly jumpers inside, that label sure puts a whole new meaning to "NO SERVICEABLE COMPONENTS INSIDE"
                                        Last edited by momaka; 10-14-2017, 08:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ruky con View Post
                                          Maybe you can take a look at this one and tell me if it can output 2 amps.
                                          (this one you can't fill in the missing parts)

When it arrived i found out it was broken. (the seller is shipping me a new one for no extra cost even though i just wanted a refund, oh well)
                                          Out of curiosity, can you crack open that transformer? It looks half decent for an overall shit power supply.
                                          Popcorn.

Comment

Working...
                                          X