• Show
Clear All

Please help me identify a component

Hi all,

I need help identifying a component.
    I am working on a Toshiba C70D-B-10N
    Motherboard is AR10AN-6050A2632101
    and the component is missing

Fortunately, I found a picture of the board.

Please have a look at the picture attached. Can anyone tell me what the component highlighted in red is?

It is between the power supply fuse and two n-channel mosfets

Thanks in advance

Re: Please help me identify a component

its the coil. smaller version of big grey cubes

Comment

Thank you for your reply!
      Where can I find a replacement? Any idea?

Comment

It's not usual that this component fails without external sign of damage.
        Why you want replace it ?

Comment

its just coil. winded wire, to filter. u can just jump it if it dont have 0ohm between pads. replacements is in every laptop board

Comment

Originally posted by jasko_jacker View Post
            It's not usual that this component fails without external sign of damage.
            Why you want replace it ?
            Well, I have replaced the fuse next to the coil. And I have realized after the repair that the coil is gone :/. And I can't find it anywhere - it's so tiny, no chance... That is why I need a replacement
            Last edited by vtfe; 05-15-2019, 03:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ktmmotocross View Post
              its just coil. winded wire, to filter. u can just jump it if it dont have 0ohm between pads. replacements is in every laptop board
              I am a beginner. Let me rephrase to be sure.
              I understand that I have to bring power to the board, check with a multimeter the Ohm value between the coil pads.
              If ohm value is over zero it is safe to bridge the pads

Originally posted by ktmmotocross View Post
              replacements is in every laptop board
              Do you mean that I could take a "standard" coil from another mobo and connect it?
              (using wires obv to connect it to the pads, because the size is very different)

Thank you again for your help. Much appreciated.
              Last edited by vtfe; 05-15-2019, 03:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by vtfe View Post
                I am a beginner. Let me rephrase to be sure.
                I understand that I have to bring power to the board, check with a multimeter the Ohm value between the coil pads.
                If ohm value is over zero it is safe to bridge the pads

Do you mean that I could take a "standard" coil from another mobo and connect it?
                (using wires obv to connect it to the pads, because the size is very different)

Thank you again for your help. Much appreciated.
                yes, bridge it, replace it with any other coil. it is the same

Comment

Thank you for your reply.
                  So, I will replace the coil. I have a choice of 2 coils from a dead mobo:
                  - 10UH/4.4A_10
                  - 2.5uH/7.5A_10
                  Which is better? considering that the coil will work with e0708n mosfets on the target board.
                  See datasheet here:

Also please tell me if the coil has polarity and should be connected in a given direction or not (sorry for the newbie question).

Thank you in advance!

Comment

Coil dont have polarity. You can use either of them.

Comment

Thank you for your help! I have replaced the coil. I now have continuity between the coil pads.
                      So, at the moment the fuse and the coil right next to the power connector are replaced. But I am back to the same problem I had when I received this mobo:
                      The mobo will post when on battery only. When mains is plugged in, no boot, no charge.

I do have 19v on the power connector. I don't have 3V on the power button.
                      I tested the "4R7" and "1R0" grey cubes between the battery connector and the ram slots
                      "4R7" is 11.4V on battery, 0.8V on mains
                      "1R0" is 0V on battery and on mains

Please tell me what I should be testing next.

I have no schematics but can provide the pictures of the motherboard:
                      Here
                      and
                      Here
                      Last edited by vtfe; 06-03-2019, 04:59 AM. Reason: Update

Comment

There is 19V on Q6011 ?

Comment

Ciao jasko,
                          Q6011 reads 3,62V
                          Q6010 reads 19V
                          The little component between the two mosfets reads 19V on one side and 3,62V on the other side.
                          See picture below.

What should I test now?

Thanks

Comment

remove that resistor after Q6011 and then apply power, recheck mosfet readings for Q6010/11

Comment

Hello mcplslg123,
                              Sorry to be a complete noob, but I need to clarify.
                              I would have assumed that it is the component between the two mosfets that was to be tested next - marked "2" in picture below.
                              But from what you say, the "resistor after Q6011" seems to be the component marked "1" in the picture below.
                              Which should I remove for tests: 1 or 2?

Also, I attach full pictures of the board for reference:
                              https://i.ibb.co/BTkh8sm/Toshiba-Sat...1-MB-A01-2.jpg
                              And
                              https://i.ibb.co/3N0KQhP/Toshiba-Sat...101-MB-A01.jpg
                              Last edited by vtfe; 06-07-2019, 04:55 AM. Reason: Pictures added

Comment

mcplslg123 mean to remove the resistor (number 3 in my pics) to isolate the two mosfet but before to remove it try to measure the voltages as I explain in pic
                                Attached Files
                                Last edited by jasko_jacker; 06-07-2019, 07:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jasko_jacker View Post
                                  mcplslg123 mean to remove the resistor (number 3 in my pics) to isolate the two mosfet but before to remove it try to measure the voltages as I explain in pic
                                  Yeh, @jasko has said it all

Comment

Here are the values in volts with power adapter plugged in:

Mosfet Q6010: Drain 19.15 / Source 3.62 / Gate 3.62

Mosfet Q6011: Drain 3.62 / Source 3.62 / Gate 3.62

FYI, the mosfets on my actual mobo are "E070BN"

Comment

except for the Drain of Q6010 (obviusly) the other voltages are bad, at this point usually I remove and test the mosfet or remove the connection from the charge ic to gates .
                                      It's possible to test mosfet with simple but inaccurate method:
                                      Multimeter on Diode, for every mosfet :
                                      Q6010 -> probe + on drain and probe - on source -> write result
                                      - on drain and + on source
                                      Q6011 -> probe + on drain and probe - on source -> write result
                                      - on drain and + on surce
                                      (this method works only if the mosfet are in short and not in on state)
                                      I don't think that there is a short on resistor 3 but you can check it
                                      Last edited by jasko_jacker; 06-07-2019, 09:57 AM.

Comment

I removed the charger and plugged in the battery, to test the voltage on both mosfets.
                                        Here are the values in volts with battery only plugged in:
                                        I started with
                                        Mosfet Q6011: Drain 11.40 / Source 11.40 / Gate 11.40

Then I wanted to check Mosfet Q6010. As I was trying to probe pin 5, although I was extra careful, a "dry" noise was heard followed by an "electrical burn" smell. I think I very shortly shorted pin 5 and the solder joint below :/

The reading for Q6010 are : Drain ~10.66 / Source ~11.40 / Gate ~11.21

The laptop won't start on battery now but I don't know if the battery is too low or something. I hope I did not burn a chip in the testing process. But I have a bad feeling...

I will test the mosfets in diode mode as you said and post the results.

When I test chip number 3 in diode mode, the multimeter beeps.

Comment

Working...
                                        X