"HERMEI" e-cap in HP L1502 LCD Monitor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"HERMEI" e-cap in HP L1502 LCD Monitor

There are 3 spoilt HP l1502 LCD monitors in my R&D office. It's been left at a corner for quite long time.
    Yesterday I tried to troublesoot the monitors and I found many bloated caps and a burnt zener diode. After I replaced all those faulty components, all three monitors are coming back to life !
    Attached Files

Re: "HERMEI" e-cap in HP L1502 LCD Monitor

I woud replace every capacitor on that board,regardless of value except for the main filter on the primary side.Wow that zener is a toasty critter,also check any other diodes and and I noticed you have a regulator on the board also,once you have the power supply working again I would check the output, against the specs to make sure the reg is working properly.You can go to www.datasheet4u.com and put in the device number and get a pdf datasheet with the specs.Those are some nasty caps

Comment

Identical layout and caps as a Dell 15" LCD I fixed. There must only be like 3 companies that make LCDs.

Comment

Voltage regulator IC is fine, other diodes also OK. I believed it is the bloated "HERMEI" e-cap that caused the failure. High ripple voltage might have overloaded the zener diode.

Comment

HERMEI caps are apparently known crap and used a lot with these types of monitors
          from posts Ive read...

If you got anymore hanging around I rip them all down and recap...sounds like its only a matter of time.

Cheers
          You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you may be swept off to." Bilbo Baggins ...

Comment

just fixed several hp like that.
            all the hermei caps were blown.
            they were purple.

Comment

Yeah the same purple that Oscon uses.

I found bunch of these in a Dell LCD monitor even though they were not bulged I replaced them with Pana FCs since I remembered reading about them.

Whats with those weird turtle shell vents?

The Hermeis on the Dell had standard X shaped vents.
              Last edited by Krankshaft; 11-18-2007, 05:53 PM.
              Elements of the past and the future combining to make something not quite as good as either.

Comment

The same "power board 715L1034-1" circa October 2003 with potentially faulty HERMEI caps has been used in quite a few LCD monitors e.g. HP1502, Compaq FP15 & FP5315, Iyama PLE383, Dell ?, etc. I had the same problem as everybody else: see my post under "Compaq/HP FP15"
                Vince

Comment

Good to know.
                  Dead monitors come cheap!
                  Mann-Made Global Warming.
                  - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
                  Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                  -
                  You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                  -

Comment

Thanks for the pix and info- helped fix 5216b1hp board

Comment

i need schematic hp1502...

Comment

Working...
                      X