Turn your trashed LED TV into a shop light

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turn your trashed LED TV into a shop light

your LED TV's display screen puckered from that well placed beer bottle shot??, Or is it gonna cost too much to repair??...
    simply need more light??

fret not frustrated friend, simply make your own shop light or area light from it.
    I tried this as a joke, but dang it...it worked. I just gutted this 42" Vizio I found on the curb (made 117$ off it selling the boards on fleBay) then added a 24v PS from an ancient HP to it, kept the diffusers in it, and Ta-Da!! ...instant bright light source!!
    added a couple handles and a kick-stand ... whole thing weighs about 2lbs
    got a 42" and a 26" model...lolz

"Our technologies have surpassed our humanity" ~Einstein

Re: Turn your trashed LED TV into a shop light

Originally posted by Shock2cure View Post
    fret not frustrated friend, simply make your own shop light or area light from it.
    I did similar with a ~22" HP monitor (the kind with the rigid front glass) to make a "light box" for tracing (think: X-Ray viewer)

Comment

i pulled one from recycle bins . never used it . seems to work ok though .. i prefer the lighting i use as the old tv is not as durable .

Comment

Originally posted by Curious.George View Post
        I did similar with a ~22" HP monitor (the kind with the rigid front glass) to make a "light box" for tracing (think: X-Ray viewer)
        a lightbox!! ....brilliant!! (pun intended)
        my brother owns a T-shirt silk screen biz (1988- 30 years), I used to do a lot of the artwork back in the true cut-n-paste b4 winblows existed daze, this would have been a cheap alt... good one

Comment

I did this years ago with 2x 30" monitors that had a broken LCD panels. They were CFL backlit. The only exception, I didn't light a shop with it, I mounted 2 of these 30" panels over a 9ft pool table. Best pool table lighting I've ever had! I have since taken them down, as I want to find one more and make a decorative wooden housing for them to live in. I ran them long-way with the table, I want to turn them sideways and run 3 of them....that will be a work of art when I finish it!
          <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
          Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
          http://folding.stanford.edu/
          Team : 49813
          Join in!!
          Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
            I did this years ago with 2x 30" monitors that had a broken LCD panels. They were CFL backlit. The only exception, I didn't light a shop with it, I mounted 2 of these 30" panels over a 9ft pool table....
            oh snap ... friend o mine just got a 7ft one... he's wanting to buy a used one from a defunct bar here for crazy mad $$$...

Comment

Originally posted by Shock2cure View Post
              a lightbox!! ....brilliant!! (pun intended)
              my brother owns a T-shirt silk screen biz (1988- 30 years), I used to do a lot of the artwork back in the true cut-n-paste b4 winblows existed daze, this would have been a cheap alt... good one
              Most lightboxes are rather thick -- typically employing fluorescent lamps (T12's, etc.). This is considerably thinner so doesn't take up much space to store when not in use (you 86 the base, of course).

I've been waiting to find a suitable LED monitor to see if I can make an even thinner version...

Comment

Working...
              X