Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Average lifespan of a polymer capacitor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Average lifespan of a polymer capacitor?

Hi, I was just curious if the brand of solid capacitors mattered as much as it did for electrolytic capacitors and if solid caps last a long time in general if they're used in things like motherboards and graphics cards.

Re: Average lifespan of a polymer capacitor?

Depends which...

There are different kinds of polymers... If your thinking about Ultra-Low ESR polymers, there are two varieties, both of which should last well over several thousand hours, one more significantly longer than the other.
    "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

should last well over several thousand hours
      That's not very comforting. There's 8765 hours in a year so it sounds like if you leave it running, you should expect it to fail in about six months. I'd really expect 50,000 hour minimum for a consumer product. Maybe even 100,000 hours.

Comment

remember that the rating is at max rated ripple and temp.
        and they dont just die at the end they just go out of spec.
        only way a pc runs at 105c is if its on fire.or the room its in is.
        and something else will give up before the polys.

Comment

I was just curious if the brand of solid capacitors mattered
          the brand of any cap always matters!

In solid caps, stick with Rubycon, Panasonic, Nippon Chemi-Con, Fujitsu, and Nichicon

the BIG 4

~~~ the top tier of low-ESR electrolytic capacitors ~~~

Comment

Originally posted by kc8adu View Post
            remember that the rating is at max rated ripple and temp.
            and they dont just die at the end they just go out of spec.
            Actually, I hear it doesn't even mean that much... I heard that it means "after this many hours, it will still be in spec". It doesn't mean it'll go out of spec right then. It could last twice that, or even more...

Comment

Originally posted by theOracle View Post
              the brand of any cap always matters!

In solid caps, stick with Rubycon, Panasonic, Nippon Chemi-Con, Fujitsu, and Nichicon
              The (reliable and proven specs) for a cap matter more than anything. Just going with a brand can leave you paying more and getting less if you don't know what you are buying. Solid Polymers tend to last longer than electrolytic due to design and being the next generation per say.

Any cap misused or abused will fail, but for a general standard (used correctly in the circuit) Polys will last longer than Electrolytic only because they are designed to do so.
              Last edited by brethin; 09-30-2013, 08:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by brethin View Post
                The (reliable and proven specs) for a cap matter more than anything. Just going with a brand can leave you paying more and getting less if you don't know what you are buying.
                Sorry pardner, but that's as silly as saying what brand of car you buy has no effect on reliability!

but in reality, the brand of car and capacitor you buy has everything to do with reliability and durability!

There are Lexus's, Hondas, Subarus, Acuras, Toyotas and Infinitis at one extreme if you like to never see your mechanic, and Dodge, Ford, Land Rover, Jaguar and Chrysler's for you folks who like to have your car fixed on a regular basis.

In the capacitor world, pretty much the same story, just a different set of Japanese names at the top! - and as far "paying more"? - I don't think that 10 cents for the finest low-ESR 10uF 50V cap made is gonna break me, ya see, I've got that kinda cash!
                Last edited by theOracle; 10-01-2013, 12:01 AM.

the BIG 4

Comment

Sorry pardner, but that's as silly as saying what brand of car you buy has no effect on reliability!

but in reality, the brand of car and capacitor you buy has everything to do with reliability and durability!

There are Lexus's, Hondas, Subarus, Acuras, Toyotas and Infinitis at one extreme if you like to never see your mechanic, and Dodge, Ford, Land Rover, Jaguar and Chrysler's for you folks who like to have your car fixed on a regular basis.

In the capacitor world, pretty much the same story, just a different set of Japanese names at the top! - and as far "paying more"? - I don't think that 10 cents for the finest low-ESR 10uF 50V cap made is gonna break me, ya see, I've got that kinda cash!
                  i think this is half on topic lol, how long will a motherboard with Taiwanese polys probably last me?

Comment

Originally posted by KKvantas View Post
                    i think this is half on topic lol, how long will a motherboard with Taiwanese polys probably last me?
                    if the polys are from a top Taiwan, Japan or Korea cap company, they will last long enough that you will no longer care about the old board by the time they go bad.

the BIG 4

Comment

if the polys are from a top Taiwan, Japan or Korea cap company, they will last long enough that you will no longer care about the old board by the time they go bad.
                      what would a top Taiwanese brand be?

Comment

Teapo?

Comment

Taicon?

Comment

Lelon?

( by marketing and sales volume only, not necessarily quality)

Comment

I'd say Samxon minus their GF series.

EDIT: That is if we're talking Chinese capacitors, and if not them then Aishi. Taiwan would be Taicon, probably.
                              Last edited by Wester547; 10-02-2013, 09:48 PM.

Comment

I thought Samxon was based in china? I guess I would say Taicon

Comment

I only use Japanese and Korean capacitors.

favorite Korean brand is Samyoung

some other great Japanese electrolytic brands not mentioned in my previous posts are Toshin Kogyo, ELNA, and Hitachi
                                  Last edited by theOracle; 10-03-2013, 02:18 AM.

the BIG 4

Comment

I wouldn't consider TK great. Seen a lot of them fail, especially on motherboards

Comment

Originally posted by Pentium4 View Post
                                      I wouldn't consider TK great. Seen a lot of them fail, especially on motherboards
                                      I guess I should clarify, I mean the Japanese made ones, not the relabeled OST crap

the BIG 4

Comment

I guess I should clarify, I mean the Japanese made ones, not the relabeled OST crap

Comment

Working...
                                        X