Netgear WPN824 drops off the LAN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Netgear WPN824 drops off the LAN

My up to now very reliable Netgear wireless router suddenly started dropping off the LAN. Wireless connections stay up, but can't see the LAN. Power off then back on and it's good for a day or 2.

I cracked it open, and looky there, 2 Teapos and 6 Capxons.
    I wonder if they're the issue. Guess I'll order some replacements and give it a try. I s'pose I should check the wall-wart too.
    36 Monitors, 3 TVs, 4 Laptops, 1 motherboard, 1 Printer, 1 iMac, 2 hard drive docks and one IP Phone repaired so far....

Re: Netgear WPN824 drops off the LAN

Did you change or enable any new features on the router? Add any new devices on the LAN side?

In the enterprise network world, this sounds like a classic memory leak issue. Something has changed and causing the software to slowly consume all free memory until you reboot it.

When it drops off the LAN, can you ping the router? Does the ARP cache look right?

Also try hooking up a computer running wireshark to see if it sends out ethernet packets or not.

Originally posted by smason
    My up to now very reliable Netgear wireless router suddenly started dropping off the LAN. Wireless connections stay up, but can't see the LAN. Power off then back on and it's good for a day or 2.

I wonder if they're the issue. Guess I'll order some replacements and give it a try. I s'pose I should check the wall-wart too.
    --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps
      In the enterprise network world, this sounds like a classic memory leak issue. Something has changed and causing the software to slowly consume all free memory until you reboot it.
      Have you tried the latest firmware update? This may fix this problem.
      My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Comment

That's the odd thing, nothing has changed in a year. It defintely doesn't respond to pings, in fact I get an alert from Nagios saying it's down.

Next time it dies I'll do a tcpdump and see if it's talking at all.
        36 Monitors, 3 TVs, 4 Laptops, 1 motherboard, 1 Printer, 1 iMac, 2 hard drive docks and one IP Phone repaired so far....

Comment

I wonder if they're the issue.
          most likely dried out / baked dry. happened in my router (D-Link DI-604 from 2004) too.
          the caps (Teapo and TBOR (?)) looked fine, but that thing was flaky as hell.

recapped with panny FC's and never had any problems since then.

edit: runs quite a bit cooler too. probably due to less ripple/noise..

Comment

It is also possible that something external is causing the wireless side of the software to consume/leak memory which causes the LAN side not to respond.

Darn, if only these home routers had a show memory command, you could rule out a memory leak!

tcpdump will also work.

I think I'm in the minority of people who actually power off their router when not in use. Most of the other people I know leave them on 24/7. So it is possible that your caps are reaching end of life depending on the inside temp?

That's the odd thing, nothing has changed in a year. It defintely doesn't respond to pings, in fact I get an alert from Nagios saying it's down.

Next time it dies I'll do a tcpdump and see if it's talking at all.
            --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

not in use?

most people use the router 24/7
              either for torrent/mule or just to monitor email & stuff.

Comment

I think I'm in the minority of people who actually power off their router when not in use.
                wow, getting online would take forever. I don't think I've ever met anyone who powers off their networking gear.

Comment

It takes less than 20 seconds for any modern home router to boot and get a dhcp address from the isp. That is alot faster than my home computer booting up. So I power up the router first and then the home computer.

Originally posted by NxB
                  wow, getting online would take forever. I don't think I've ever met anyone who powers off their networking gear.
                  --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps
                    I think I'm in the minority of people who actually power off their router when not in use.
                    20 second or 10 minutes. Having to plug in the router to use the Internet brings back some of the torture of dial-up. The whole point of low power consumption high reliability networking is so it can be left on all the time.

If the caps wear out they get replaced.
                    sig files are for morons

Comment

Working...
                    X