Toshiba Satellite - Locks up when plugged in

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Toshiba Satellite - Locks up when plugged in

I dont know what those numbers mean at the moment. Did you buy them new?
    If you look at examples in earlier posts, It's not necessary to do so much scratching.
    Did you check for shorts? Look at earlier posts for more detail.

EXTRA: That "e" number seems to indicate the ESR value. The capacitors that I use are marked with e90 and their specs say 9 milliohms.
    Last edited by rievax_60; 02-26-2015, 06:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rievax_60 View Post
      I dont know what those numbers mean at the moment. Did you buy them new?
      If you look at examples in earlier posts, It's not necessary to do so much scratching.
      Did you check for shorts? Look at earlier posts for more detail.

EXTRA: That "e" number seems to indicate the ESR value. The capacitors that I use are marked with e90 and their specs say 9 milliohms.
      thanks again. Yes they are new bought from china. The other ones i bought and successfuly put on my other a300 were from portugal. I have read all the postings in this thread however i cant seem to figure much. If i take the caps off and get as much solder off with a wick, then measure the + & - on the board pads using multi meter on ohms mode what should be the reading. Should the cpu be on or out when i take the reading. What would be the reading to indicate a short? If there is a short and there is no visable signs of the + & - touching what else do i look for. Regards Paul

Comment

You should get about 5 ohms with the CPU fitted. With the CPU out, the reading should be much higher, very roughly 1K or so. It's not critical.
        If there is a short, It could be because you have caused a solder bridge or there might be a shorted MOSFET in the regulator, not likely at this stage.

EXTRA: A short circuit would be indicated by a reading that is the same as when you press your multimetermeter probes together while the multimeter is set to it's lowest resistance range. Usually less than 0.5 ohms. Is it a good multimeter?
        Last edited by rievax_60; 02-26-2015, 07:54 PM.

Comment

You should get about 5 ohms with the CPU fitted. With the CPU out, the reading should be much higher, very roughly 1K or so. It's not critical.
          If there is a short, It could be because you have caused a solder bridge or there might be a shorted MOSFET in the regulator, not likely at this stage.

EXTRA: A short circuit would be indicated by a reading that is the same as when you press your multimetermeter probes together while the multimeter is set to it's lowest resistance range. Usually less than 0.5 ohms. Is it a good multimeter?
          thanks rievax, it is a cheap meter it functions:
          ua ma off Vac Vdc Ω very basic. so when taking a reading do you take the reading with the mother board out of the laptop, I guess you do not take a reading when it has power to it!!!

Comment

That's right, be certain it's not powered which includes removing the battery. There is no need to remove the mainboard unless you want to remove the CPU. What resistance reading did you get?

Comment

That's right, be certain it's not powered which includes removing the battery. There is no need to remove the mainboard unless you want to remove the CPU. What resistance reading did you get?
              Hi rievax, I did some more testing, I switched the meter to dispay Ω reading,

Ω gives a reading of LO i guess that is 0.00

Ω v = .750

Ω k = 3.30

In this photo I've maked with the yellow arrow where there seems to be a scratch between the + & - do you think I have stuffed the board???

Comment

I dont understand your readings. Do some research on how to do resistance measurements.
                The yellow arrow seems to be pointing to the normal gap in the copper print between the + and - sides. The photo does not have enough resolution.
                A while back, another member ruined his mainboard by scratching at the wrong places. It can be difficult to explain how PCBs are structured and what to do and what not to do without the other end misunderstanding and doing completely the wrong thing.
                Ill see if I can find the posts.

Extra: Carefully read this thread, https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...t=40103&page=2
                Last edited by rievax_60; 02-28-2015, 09:20 AM.

Comment

I dont understand your readings. Do some research on how to do resistance measurements.
                  The yellow arrow seems to be pointing to the normal gap in the copper print between the + and - sides. The photo does not have enough resolution.
                  A while back, another member ruined his mainboard by scratching at the wrong places. It can be difficult to explain how PCBs are structured and what to do and what not to do without the other end misunderstanding and doing completely the wrong thing.
                  Ill see if I can find the posts.

Extra: Carefully read this thread, https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...t=40103&page=2
                  ok rievax, having had a look at the link, I must say I think I've done a neater job than some. tonight I grabbed the board to test again: with the cpu out of the board I took a measurement, both + & - on each side give a reading of 3.06 Ωk, so can I assume there is not short on the board???? as re: the photo I posted you can see I scraped out the green between the 2 negative strips, I didn't do this on my other A300, however after reading some of the posts some were saying that that area was all negative and removing the green to expose the copper makes it easier to solder the caps.

So where does this leave me now?? I have ordered more caps from the first place I got them which fixed the first one, was this a good move??? or is there other areas I should now be looking at. Thanks rievax

Comment

It seems there is no short now from your reading. You should also take a reading with the CPU inserted to get a better idea of making sense of the readings.
                    It's usually safe to scrape the green Solder Resist from large areas of continuous copper print so long as it's not done too aggressively. There is a risk of damaging the vias that connect the surface copper print to internal layers.
                    By now I would suspect that all capacitors sold on eBay should be fit for purpose. It does not hurt to be certain by getting ones that are known to work.

Comment

Hi again rievax, just want to thank you again for your continued support, it is very much appreciated.
                      I took an Ω measurement with the CPU mounted on the board, it is giving me a reading of 29.1 is this a further positive sign???
                      Took another 3 photos of the board, hopefully it gives a better picture. Regards Paul

Comment

Hello everyone. IT WORKS!!!I am so happy to let you know that my Toshiba
                        Satellite A305 is ALIVE again! I replaced the NEC TOKIN OE 128 with four 470
                        uF 2.5 volts tantalum capacitors as suggested in this forum. Now my Toshiba
                        laptop is running again! Thank you all for the help. Thanks to the Badcap forum.
                        A very informative and helpful forum you are.
                        Last edited by Marbc; 03-02-2015, 08:14 PM. Reason: Incorrect part number.

Comment

Originally posted by bonniedoon View Post
                          Hi again rievax, just want to thank you again for your continued support, it is very much appreciated.
                          I took an Ω measurement with the CPU mounted on the board, it is giving me a reading of 29.1 is this a further positive sign???
                          Took another 3 photos of the board, hopefully it gives a better picture. Regards Paul
                          Although there is no short circuit, the 29 ohm reading it wrong. Check your multimeter by touching the probes together and by measuring known resistors.

Comment

Although there is no short circuit, the 29 ohm reading it wrong. Check your multimeter by touching the probes together and by measuring known resistors.
                            Hi rievax. Well i took more readings today. Under ohm setting mode ohm (m), the reading starts off with 00.7 then jumps up this time settling at 28.4 and stays there. Then switching onto the next ohm (ohm) mode when testing you get a continuos long beep and get the exact same readings. What do you think? I do touch the probes together to get a 0.00 reading each time. When you suggest testing known resistors, can you please give me some guidance in that area and what should I be looking for. What would be the reason for the high reason? Hope i will get the new caps this week, but i dont want to use them if you feel that there are other issues to deal with first. Regards Paul

Comment

Originally posted by bonniedoon View Post
                              Hi rievax. Well i took more readings today. Under ohm setting mode ohm (m), the reading starts off with 00.7 then jumps up this time settling at 28.4 and stays there. Then switching onto the next ohm (ohm) mode when testing you get a continuos long beep and get the exact same readings. What do you think? I do touch the probes together to get a 0.00 reading each time. When you suggest testing known resistors, can you please give me some guidance in that area and what should I be looking for. What would be the reason for the high reason? Hope i will get the new caps this week, but i dont want to use them if you feel that there are other issues to deal with first. Regards Paul
                              I can't make much sense of those readings.
                              You should always use the lowest resistance range that doesn't show "OL" in the display. Use any resistors you have handy in the 10 to 100 ohm range. There is too much detail to be explained here. Do a search on "resistance measurement"

Extra: Take notice of anything you find that explains Ohms Law.
                              Last edited by rievax_60; 03-03-2015, 03:03 AM. Reason: extra

Comment

I can't make much sense of those readings.
                                You should always use the lowest resistance range that doesn't show "OL" in the display. Use any resistors you have handy in the 10 to 100 ohm range. There is too much detail to be explained here. Do a search on "resistance measurement"

Extra: Take notice of anything you find that explains Ohms Law.
                                Hi rievax, I'm still waiting for my new caps, anyways I took the board out and put it on my table and took an ΩK reading this time for some reason the reading is 3.10 does this make a difference????

Comment

Originally posted by Marbc View Post
                                  Hello everyone. IT WORKS!!!I am so happy to let you know that my Toshiba
                                  Satellite A305 is ALIVE again! I replaced the NEC TOKIN OE 128 with four 470
                                  uF 2.5 volts tantalum capacitors as suggested in this forum. Now my Toshiba
                                  laptop is running again! Thank you all for the help. Thanks to the Badcap forum.
                                  A very informative and helpful forum you are.
                                  Hi Marbc, are the 470uF tantalus working out ok? Seems like most people are using 330uF. If doing good for you I may try them, I am having problems with the 330uF tantalum I used. Thanks

Comment

I did some resistance measurements across the + and - of the Tokin capacitor pads on a working A300 mainboard. This is referred to as the Vcore voltage rail.
                                    My Fluke 87V multimeter read 2.4 ohms with the T7300 CPU installed.
                                    With the CPU removed, the reading never settled while the meter was allowed to auto range. When I set it to manual ranges, I got 0.6K on one range and 6K on another range.
                                    There must be components in the circuit that make it impossible to take a stable reading.
                                    The main thing is that the readings don't indicate a short circuit. The 2.4 ohm reading with the CPU installed might cause some doubt. Then getting a much higher reading with the CPU removed indicates no short circuit.

Comment

I did some resistance measurements across the + and - of the Tokin capacitor pads on a working A300 mainboard. This is referred to as the Vcore voltage rail.
                                      My Fluke 87V multimeter read 2.4 ohms with the T7300 CPU installed.
                                      With the CPU removed, the reading never settled while the meter was allowed to auto range. When I set it to manual ranges, I got 0.6K on one range and 6K on another range.
                                      There must be components in the circuit that make it impossible to take a stable reading.
                                      The main thing is that the readings don't indicate a short circuit. The 2.4 ohm reading with the CPU installed might cause some doubt. Then getting a much higher reading with the CPU removed indicates no short circuit.
                                      Hi rievax, I got the new caps from where I previously bought then, before I soldered them on the board I took further readings. The time the readings were different than before the numbers seemed to jump around a lot with out settling, go figure. Well the result is awesome It worked as before, I've loaded windows7 and installed a few programs to give it a bit of a work out, and wow things are going like a train.

So to you my friend thanks heaps you have been very patient with me and very helpful, I am nearly 60 years old so I consider working on the these laptops as an achievement, since I am not a techy person.

So I've got everything crossed that it keeps going. Thanks again

Comment

I would like to report another succes story of an A300 with no display at boot.
                                        I also would like to thank everybody on this forum for all the information given.

Comment

Hey Guys,

Like many others, I have ended up discovering this forum after researching a solution to the common ‘Toshiba random shutdown, slow death' problem. I purchased a Toshiba A200 years ago and unfortunately have recently joined the mass of other affected owners with this problem.

As the symptoms of my A200 are consistent with others here, I'm prepared and looking forward to getting into a capacitor swap out

Now, sorry if this has been answered already but I thought it would be best to confirm the answer as recent information may have changed... but where is the best place to purchase the capacitors from and is there now a standard "best" or "recommended" type to use in place of the failing NEC/TOKIN Proadlizer Capacitor??

Are there any other owners in the thread that are in Australia that might have recommendations on where to get the Capacitors base on their experiences??

Thanks for all the shared info throughout this thread everybody... and for any advice you can provide!

Tech Enthusiast - Lojix Net

Intel Core i7 3770K | GIGABYTE Z68XP-UD4 | 32GB RAM | Ge-Force 660Ti/OC | Kingston Hyper-X 240GB SSD| Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 RPM​

Web Browsing Powered By Firefox

Comment

Working...
                                          X