Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Proview 2200w shimmering display

Hi all,
    So I found this monitor near the garbage the other day with a blown power cable on the back.
    I took it apart and replaced all the capacitors with new ones, fired it up and the screen lit up with a message "please connect monitor to computer".
    Grate, I assembled the monitor and connected it to a computer but then I got this shimmering on the screen.
    I tried to search the internet for something similar but without any luck...
    Any suggestions on whats causing this?

I attached pics of the problem + the power board with the capacitors that I changed marked with red circles.

Last edited by BrAvE_26; 03-12-2014, 12:04 PM.

Re: Proview 2200w shimmering display

Can we see the pictures of the screen shot? Bad filter caps on the logic (scaler) board can also cause shimmering/noise/bars on the screen.
    BTW, I do not see the attached pictures.
    OK, the pictures show up now.
    Last edited by budm; 03-12-2014, 12:39 PM.
    Never stop learning
    Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
    http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

I see the pics. It looks something like the clock signal is unstable... Do the menus jitter in the same way? If they do, i would look on the Tcon board. If the menus are fine the problem's gonna be on the logic board.
      Originally posted by PeteS in CA
      Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
      A working TV? How boring!

Comment

The menus do jitter the same exact way...
        Although when I unplug the DVI cable I get a clear "No Signal" message...
        Whats the Tcon board?
        The logic board dose have a few electrolytic capacitors BTW, but they "seem" fine.

Comment

The Tcon (Timing Control) board is the board that drives the display. It is found at the top of the display, under a metal shield. Some displays are mounted upside down so you may also find it at the bottom (mostly in TVs, never seen a monitor like that yet). It's connected by a wide ribbon cable to the main logic board.
          On most large monitors it's a separate board, small ones have it built into the panel (not replaceable, but sometimes repairable). Yours should have it separate.

It's interesting that the message is clean when there is no signal input - that still smells of a power issue there. By the way, does this monitor also have VGA input? Can you test that?
          Last edited by Th3_uN1Qu3; 03-12-2014, 06:14 PM.
          Originally posted by PeteS in CA
          Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
          A working TV? How boring!

Comment

So the minute you said "Timing Control" I remembered that I had a problem with the ribbon connecting between the logic board and the Tcon board on an old Dell laptop display I once fixed.
            Before I tested the 2 VGA ports this monitor has, I tried to reconnect this ribbon on the Tcon an logic boards sides just for my peace and quiet.
            It worked like magic, now the monitor works on the DVI and VGA ports!
            I'm going to let it work for a few good hours before I can call this a fixed monitor
            Thanks for the help!!!

BTW some one has an idea why it worked?
            Last edited by BrAvE_26; 03-13-2014, 05:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BrAvE_26 View Post
              So the minute you said "Timing Control" I remembered that I had a problem with the ribbon connecting between the logic board and the Tcon board on an old Dell laptop display I once fixed.
              Before I tested the 2 VGA ports this monitor has, I tried to reconnect this ribbon on the Tcon an logic boards sides just for my peace and quiet.
              It worked like magic, now the monitor works on the DVI and VGA ports!
              I'm going to let it work for a few good hours before I can call this a fixed monitor
              Thanks for the help!!!

BTW some one has an idea why it worked?
              An LCD monitor actually has micro-vibrations. With the switchmode transformer and other components, there is actually an undectable vibration going on inside. You can put your hand on your monitor and cannot feel it. But it can eventually lead to a slight disconnection of the LVDS cable or the Tcon ribbons.
              In fact I have fixed 3 LCD monitors simply by reconnecting the LVDS cable. And 1 by reconnecting the Tcon ribbons.
              That's why I always put tape over the connections; to prevent this from happening again.

Comment

Working...
              X