Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sony KDL-40W600B 6 blinking lights

Originally posted by nomoresonys View Post
    " Sometimes, it will power down after a few minutes, and yet other times, it'll stay on for hours." Seems like a bad/weak capacitor.
    Possibly. Some more data: sometimes, just a split second before it turns off, the picture becomes suddenly dimmer, and then it turns off. Also, I had it set to "vivid" mode, which had the brightness set at max: it couldn't sustain it, and it would shutdown with the 6 blinks. Then, I set the picture to "standard", and it was able to stay on longer (initially for hours, then for only minutes).

Does this strengthen the bad capacitor argument? Will it be on the BAXL? Because the LD board, which drives the LEDs, was changed, and the problem didn't go away? Or could it also be a led problem?

Thanks

Comment

it is more likely that you have a "weaken led" as opposed to a "driving capacitor issue"... the "overdriven led" is eventually drawing more power causing protection to kick in.

Comment

Originally posted by yohnsee View Post
        While in service menu, can you get enough time to enter the error code list? I believe, sonys has that. Maybe that would give us some useful information, before we go in and test everything.
        I don't know, if anyone has suggested yet, try to cool specific parts of the TV and see if it stays on longer. For example, first the TCON, then make a test. Then the mainboard, then test again. This is carried out the easiest way if you have canned air at home, turn it upside down and spray on the board from 15-20cm. It will cool it down very quickly. After these tests we can move on with other ideas.
        R_J: With all due respect, as OP said in the first or second comment, he has picture and sound, so the TV works good for a short period of time. This should not be a cable connection problem.
        yohnsee:

whenever I was able to get to the service menu, the only errors show up under 006 BACKLIGHT, with a counter equal to the number of times the error came up (47 the last time I checked). There are also numbers indicating the exact time and date of the last 3 backlight errors.

There is no TCON board I can readily access in this TV.

Thanks

Comment

There are at least two seperate strings of leds and each string seems to have 5 led strips, if one of the strips has a loose connection it will not stay lit. and post an error.
          Last edited by R_J; 06-21-2018, 07:07 AM.

Comment

\
            Last edited by Rvang; 06-21-2018, 06:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by R_J View Post
              That picture I posted was from shopjimmy, his may have looked like this
              Yes, That's it, exactly

Last edited by Rvang; 06-21-2018, 07:23 AM.

Comment

So Far so good.....
                Attached Files

Comment

Why would Sony disable the whole damn tv for a bad LED. Coudln't they just flash an error?

Comment

Likely worried about this, and I have seen a lot worse, I've seen the white reflector sheet with a 4 inch strip burnt into it
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by R_J; 06-21-2018, 07:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by R_J View Post
                      Likely worried about this, and I have seen a lot worse, I've seen the white reflector sheet with a 4 inch strip burnt into it
                      Ahh, I see, Makes sense

Comment

Well this is day 3 without any problems. The set would flash a 6 almost instantly before.
                        I think the cause was related to poor contacts causing high resistance in the LED circuits.
                        I would assume the system monitors the load on the LED circuits and faults out if it exceeds the set range /window.
                        Again, All I did was disassemble all the LED connections and re seat them multiple times.
                        I have seen this happen in automotive Air bag systems. They monitor the resistance of the air bag to a very narrow range. Any resistance introduce into the circuit and it faults out.

Comment

Perhaps.... but didn't you also indicate that you change some settings?

Comment

Originally posted by budwich View Post
                            Perhaps.... but didn't you also indicate that you change some settings?
                            No, I changed the BAXL and HDLM on a hip shot and it didn't work, did the same thing. I then whacked the upper corners of the set and it started working. That prompted me to take it apart down to the LED Strips and have a look see.

Comment

Originally posted by budwich View Post
                              it is more likely that you have a "weaken led" as opposed to a "driving capacitor issue"... the "overdriven led" is eventually drawing more power causing protection to kick in.
                              Well, this was indeed the case: one of the B strips had 2 burned LEDs (out of the 5). I replaced the LED strip today, and so far so good.

I thank you all for taking the time to answer. You really helped me narrow down the problem and eventually fix it.

Best

Comment

I have a Sony KDL-40W600B that was blinking 6 times and ordered a replacement LD board... When installed the set would come on for a very short time... Not even long enough to get to the service screens... (bad used replacement board)... I took another look at the original LD board and found that the 19v power supply was good at the white fuse above the power connector but was missing at the two 22mfd 50v surface mount caps... There was a direct short across these caps and an extremely small 5a fuse blown (located to the right of the power connector aprox 5/8" from the lower board edge)... This looks like an extremely small resistor...

There are numerous capacitors across these filter capacitors from B+ to ground... I found one chip capacitor (located just to the lower left of the CN2000 LED connector) that was shorted and was shorting out the 19v line and making the 22mfd caps "look" bad... I replaced the shorted cap with a small value disk cap (around 22pf) and scraped off the green copper resist areas where the tiny fuse was located and soldered in a standard "F" type 5 amp glass fuse.... No more flashing LED and the set fired up and worked beautifully... Less than a dollar invested in a freebee LCD TV...

I did spend the time checking the LED strips before doing the board repair and found they were not the original fault... Both boards were the problems...

I hope this may help others with this model Sony...
                                Dave

Comment

I also had a Sony with 6 flashes on the standby LED - model KD-60x690E. Thought I'd post what i found. The problem was intermittent, so it was hard to trace, but checking the LED strips with a backlight tester showed one of the sets (combined A & B strips) had an operating voltage about 5 volts higher than the others. Each of the individual LEDs tested OK as did the individual A and B strips. I noticed that the connector between the two sections appeared to have small burn marks where the small clips on the B strips touched the contacts on the A strip. I cleaned the contacts and clips and reseated all the sections toghether, but adjusted where they joined slightly so the spring clips touched a different part of the contact area. Hard to believe that 5 volts high would trigger protection mode, but it makes sense, I guess. Hope this helps someone.
                                  Last edited by petersor; 10-26-2020, 05:24 AM.

Comment

In retrospect (i.e. after the TV was back on the wall), I probably should have just soldered the strips together, eliminating the connector as the weak link . . .

Comment

Originally posted by petersor View Post
                                      in retrospect (i.e. After the tv was back on the wall), i probably should have just soldered the strips together, eliminating the connector as the weak link . . .
                                      +1

Comment

Working...
                                      X