cable modem frequently disconnects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: cable modem frequently disconnects

Just to clear something up... That coax cable is going directly to your cable modem? No splitter etc in line?
    The cox cable is connected directly to my modem but this cox cable most probably may be connected to the main cox cable through a splitter through which several other splitter cox cables could be connected. The technicians have also mentioned that they had changed the (radio frequency connector )
    on the building tares.

Comment

Well, then the only way to really figure out what is the problem between the cable network and your modem, you need a TDR (time domain reflector) and a rf test set with built in spectrum scope. The TDR gives a fault in the coax (impedance mismatch) and shows a hump and it tells you where the problem is. With the spectrum scope you look at the incoming and outgoing rf channels and the power levels. Now this a normal cable guy can't do, as most of them don't know what a TDR is.
      For me, I am fortunate to have a RF Service monitor and I can look at my cable rf signals all day long...
      From what you saying, tells me that either the rf signal is too high or too low, or there is somewhere water in the coax or splitter, there is an rf leak inducing noise in the system.
      There is a way to get inside the sb5101 with the web browser. See how much the rf levels change when it is operating vs non operating.
      Last edited by CapLeaker; 08-20-2015, 07:47 PM.

Comment

Hello there.
        I think this problem can be caused by two reasons:
        1) PSU can be problematic from the beginning
        Try 15W or 20W power in a PSU .
        2) Problems can often be related to the intensity of regional Internet traffic by that day . This is a strong possibility. Or a problem with the regional network infrastructure. Service providers are responsible for failing to provide proper service.

Comment

Will the Motorola Signal Booster broadband drop amp. http://www.amazon.in/Motorola-Signal...le+Modem+Boost
          solve the problem of the rf signal being high or low and can it also solve the problem of the rf leak inducing noise in the system.

Will it also solve the problem of intensity of Regional internet traffic by the day and problem with regional network infrastructure. Because I feel all these problems are creating one single problem that is they are making the rf signal too high or too low. So the modem is repeatedly trying to connect and reset itself but cannot come online due to a week signal.
          Last edited by Captain Bill grace digger; 08-24-2015, 06:03 AM.

Comment

Put in your web browser: 192.168.100.1
            That gets you the modems internal configuration and status webpage. Click on signal on the left and see what is when the modem works, vs non working. Also note down the S/N ratio. you also may check the logs.

Comment

That won't work on a modem that's locked down by the ISP.

A signal booster will also boost RF noise. If the problem is a crappy s/n ratio it won't help and might even make performance worse.

Regardless, the responsibility for the signal quality is on the ISP. You shouldn't have to spend any money on this problem.

Comment

Works fine as kind on my sb5101.

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Bill grace digger View Post
                  Will the Motorola Signal Booster broadband drop amp. http://www.amazon.in/Motorola-Signal...le+Modem+Boost
                  solve the problem of the rf signal being high or low and can it also solve the problem of the rf leak inducing noise in the system.

Will it also solve the problem of intensity of Regional internet traffic by the day and problem with regional network infrastructure. Because I feel all these problems are creating one single problem that is they are making the rf signal too high or too low. So the modem is repeatedly trying to connect and reset itself but cannot come online due to a week signal.

You say that you work correctly when you reset the modem for a while ...
                  A possibility that comes to mind:
                  Is your cable modem wireless system?
                  If so, try turning off wireless for a while. Compare the results ..
                  While your wireless network when wireless off better if it could be used in any way. In this case, you own line, it will be insufficient for the large number of entries. Unencrypted wireless network as it should invite a number of the thief input. So it can benefit from these types of problems. Service is slow, it becomes even impossible ..
                  It's best to disable the wireless services and make observations for a while .. what was the result? Is it better or is still the same?

Wireless can be viewed on the user manual to the external circuit. Or enter the modem interface. Do not touch the other settings. 'Wireless' click and remove the check mark in the fixed wireless network option in the options box ..

I enter my own modem to modem interface as follows:
                  1) I am writing browser to 192.168.1.1,
                  2) On the browser bar '' Enter ''
                  3) I enter the password provided by the ISP (which can be changed later)
                  4) In this step may vary depending on modem brand
                  5) Interface to the left when you enter the 'Advanced Setting' I click,
                  6) There is '' network '' I click,
                  7) On the following page, '' wireless '' I click,
                  8) 'Active Wireless' box on the sign by lifted, wireless is canceled ..
                  After a while you should look at the results of using wireless.

To make these settings, the phone can support the local ISP. Wireless will give you an idea or off line problem on ISS (service inadequate and unsuitable) Did you or the private line?
                  Last edited by Kom; 08-26-2015, 08:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kom View Post
                    You say that you work correctly when you reset the modem for a while ...
                    A possibility that comes to mind:
                    Is your cable modem wireless system?
                    If so, try turning off wireless for a while. Compare the results ..
                    While your wireless network when wireless off better if it could be used in any way. In this case, you own line, it will be insufficient for the large number of entries. Unencrypted wireless network as it should invite a number of the thief input. So it can benefit from these types of problems. Service is slow, it becomes even impossible ..
                    It's best to disable the wireless services and make observations for a while .. what was the result? Is it better or is still the same?

Wireless can be viewed on the user manual to the external circuit. Or enter the modem interface. Do not touch the other settings. 'Wireless' click and remove the check mark in the fixed wireless network option in the options box ..

I enter my own modem to modem interface as follows:
                    1) I am writing browser to 192.168.1.1,
                    2) On the browser bar '' Enter ''
                    3) I enter the password provided by the ISP (which can be changed later)
                    4) In this step may vary depending on modem brand
                    5) Interface to the left when you enter the 'Advanced Setting' I click,
                    6) There is '' network '' I click,
                    7) On the following page, '' wireless '' I click,
                    8) 'Active Wireless' box on the sign by lifted, wireless is canceled ..
                    After a while you should look at the results of using wireless.

To make these settings, the phone can support the local ISP. Wireless will give you an idea or off line problem on ISS (service inadequate and unsuitable) Did you or the private line?
                    Hi! I wish I had seen your post back then, but due to urgent life circumstances I missed it. "This was just exactly what I was going through". MY ROUTER WAS HACKED as back then I did not know how to secure my router properly. I had left the "upnp", "WAN ping" and "remote management" settings on my router activated.

I was like that for the next few months until finally I ended up getting my whole laptop hacked along with all my google accounts, email accounts and other online accounts. I was shocked to death . I could not understand what to do and how to stop the hack. I had to reinstall Windows and secure my router again. It took a while for me to learn that I also need to keep these settings disabled.

Comment

Working...
                    X