Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Asus P5KPL-AM EPU power on-off issues

Hi guys,

Two weeks ago I took this old motherboard from an old PC and installed it into another one. The board's been powered down for a couple of months when it was in the old PC.

So, installed it in the 'new' pc case, put in a new 3.3v battery, powered it on and installed Windows and it was fine for a couple of days. Two days ago clicking shutdown in Windows makes the PC shut down but immediately powers it on again. Powering it on is also not possible with the button on the case. Shorting the power on pins on the motherboard also doesn't work.

What does work is flipping the power switch on the PSU, then it turns on fine and everything is ok, except powering off of course. Voltages in the BIOS also look fine.

I took the motherboard out of the case to check if there was something shorting underneath the motherboard in the case, but no difference.
    A different PSU shows the same symptoms.

Bad capacitors on the motherboard *maybe*? Any suggestions what else to check? I looked at the motherboard and I couldn't see anything bad like bulging capacitors. I can take a look at them (brand, etc.) and report back here if that might help.

Thanks!

Re: Asus P5KPL-AM EPU power on-off issues

try clearing the cmos with the clear cmos jumper. sometimes after changing the cmos battery, the board will become glitched until the cmos is cleared.

however, im most likely guessing it will still behave the same after that. in which case, it sounds like a shorted southbridge and/or super io chip caused by esd. u did take anti-static precautions, did u? only plug in the psu cable into the mains last after plugging everything else in and after u are done tinkering with the innards? also was there a thunderstorm recently? it might have been damaged by lightning.

u can also try with the mains plug disconnected. hold down the power button for a few minutes, then plug in and try again. sometimes that method works for reviving a mobo that wont power on due to esd issues.

Comment

No, there weren't any storms last weeks. I confused another PC with this one about replacing the battery, I didn't replace this one's battery as it is still good. So, I only transported it in it's original bag and installed it in the new PC case.

Anyway, did the main plug power button thing you said but didn't work. My guess is that this is it then. Too bad, it wasn't exactly new or fast but still a shame.
      Thanks for your help though.
      Last edited by Justin1091; 08-22-2018, 02:36 PM.

Comment

nope its not done yet. it could be that the previous psu was poorly built and damaged something on the mobo and it will no longer power on due to the damage already done regardless of the psu.

so dont junk it just yet. perhaps someone with more experience than me can help. in the meantime, i recommend u post pictures of the mobo so other members can study the pictures to see if anything is off with the board.

Comment

unplug the computer, take the memory battery out for a while, then plug it in and press that power button without that battery being installed.
          Make sure that all plugs and socketed IC's are properly seated
          Last edited by CapLeaker; 08-24-2018, 07:12 PM.

Comment

I did these things guys, didn't work. A new motherboard has become available to me, so it's obsolete now. Won't throw the old one away yet though.

Comment

Working...
            X