Bad ASRock P4i45PE Motherboard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bad ASRock P4i45PE Motherboard

All of a sudden, I started getting blue screens, freezing, restarts, just after posting, when Windows XP was starting. I've checked the hard drive, memory, graphic card, power supply, reset BIOS, nothing makes much of a difference. With a different power supply, it got thru the post every time, start loading windows (I was trying to do a clean install), and the process would just stop at different points when booting from the disc.
    Got it apart, all 4 of the 3300 uf caps looked domed.
    3300 uf 6.3v KZG (M) 105ยบ
    KZG 10.3mm dia 22.23mm tall (brown)
    The four 1500 uf 6.3v look Ok, they had KZE on them 10.3mm x 19mm (green)
    Need advice on type of replacements.
    I've got some pictures, not able to upload them on dial-up. I'll put them on here later.

Re: Bad ASRock P4i45PE Motherboard

Replace those KZG with Nichicon HM, HN, HZ (good to best). UCC KZE would work though ideally you'd want something even better than KZE there.

This site's online store has them, order them from here if you want.

Otherwise, these would work:

http://www.digikey.com/product-detai...MPD-ND/2428120
    http://www.newark.com/nichicon/uhm0j...-3v/dp/70R1133

Comment

So, it's best to replace the 3300 uf and the 1500 uf.

Comment

No, I meant KZE series capacitors of value 3300uF 6.3v would work instead of KZG but they're a bit less good on paper compared to those Nichicon HM, HN, HZ capacitors. They're not ideal, but in real world I believe they would work fine.

The circuits where those KZG capacitors are connected to are quite sensitive about the "degree of performance" of the capacitors, they have to be quite high grade.

Let's say on a scale of 1 to 100, the circuits need any capacitor with a score above 90. KZG is about 93 on the scale, while KZE is about 85-88. Nichicon HM is about 90, HN about 92-93, HZ about 95-97

Your swollen capacitors are now probably at about 60 but you have to keep in mind, the capacitors started to go bad slowly before they even started to swell up.

So the circuitry on the motherboard still worked even when the capacitor's quality went below 90 by quite a lot, and at a certain point it just stopped being reliable. Hence why I'm saying a KZE with 85-88 would still be safe to use, the circuitry kept the system stable with even worse capacitors.

Other parts of the motherboard aren't so finicky about what capacitors are used, that's why you see KZE and probably other brands and series in other parts of the motherboard.

KZG is a series made by Nippon Chemi Con / United Chemi Con (NCC or UCC, however you want to say it) that had some manufacturing issue, it's flawed, the capacitors of this series go bad often. KZJ series is another series using the same substances as KZG so it's also bad, but luckily it's not so common.

Other than these two series, NCC/UCC is a very good manufacturer, reliable, just like Nichicon or Rubycon or Panasonic. That's why you can leave those KZE 1500uF if they look good, it's unlikely they went bad.
        Last edited by mariushm; 10-27-2012, 05:42 PM.

Comment

Finally able to upload pics Of motherboard. I've gotten the 3300uf caps off the board. Still don't know about the 1500uf replacements.
          The pics should help.
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by maybenever View Post
            Finally able to upload pics Of motherboard. I've gotten the 3300uf caps off the board. Still don't know about the 1500uf replacements.
            The pics should help.
            1500uF 6.3v Nichicon HN on Mouser. They are slightly shorter, and have a lower ESR than the KZE.
            Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

Will the Nichicon HMs be OK, I jumped the gun and have alteady ordered them

Comment

Yes, they'll be OK.

Don't worry about it. There's quite a bit of tolerance in the board like I explained above.

But I don't think you have to replace those KZE, I'd say replace the KZG first and run some stability tests

Comment

Thanks, I'll get the 3300's in and test, and get back.

Comment

GOOD NEWS, got the 3300uf caps from Digikey, put em on the board and it works like new. I just had it set up on the bench, but it posted, booted from XP disc and I went on and did a clean install. 45 min of running, all was good.
                    One more question, my power supply (400w DURO) is 10 years old like the MB, I noticed in BIOS hardware info that all voltages were good except fo the 3.3V, it bounced between 2.85v and 3.28v. Is this a sign of failing for this thing? The power supply I tested the repaired board with showed 3.35v.
                    Thanks for all your time and help.

Comment

Originally posted by maybenever View Post
                      GOOD NEWS, got the 3300uf caps from Digikey, put em on the board and it works like new. I just had it set up on the bench, but it posted, booted from XP disc and I went on and did a clean install. 45 min of running, all was good.
                      One more question, my power supply (400w DURO) is 10 years old like the MB, I noticed in BIOS hardware info that all voltages were good except fo the 3.3V, it bounced between 2.85v and 3.28v. Is this a sign of failing for this thing? The power supply I tested the repaired board with showed 3.35v.
                      Thanks for all your time and help.
                      I'd say the PSU is at fault. Did you measure the 3.3v with the PSU unplugged from the motherboard? If so, thats why you got the stable 3.3v there. It is oscillating under load.

What is the part number for the PSU, and can we have some pics of it? I'd say open it up and see if there are any badcaps.
                      Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

I did not measure the voltage wth the PSU unplugged. The steady 3.3v I got was from a used PSU out of the junk box. I'll get a look at this PSU before I get the MB and all the extras back in the case.
                        Thanks.

Comment

Pop the cover off and check the PSU's caps.
                          I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

That's going to be another progect fo another thread. For now, the 350w PSU is one I bought new 11 years ago and only used it a year. It's working fine, I'm getting everything installed, all looks good. I wish I Had gone straight to the motherboard for my problems and not messed with with the operating system.Oh well, nothing like a clean slate.
                            Again, thanks to all for your time and input. I'll be watching and learing.

Comment

no display in asrock motherboard. how do i fix this problem? whatsapp 18764380954

Comment

Working...
                              X