Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

APC 900 UPS fan going into high speed for no reason at all for long period of time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

APC 900 UPS fan going into high speed for no reason at all for long period of time

I have APC 900 UPS for about 4 to 6 years now and works very good except the cooling fan goes into high speed for no real good reason and sometimes does this for hours

Anyone have any idea what could be be the problem with it and what it will take to fix it

I have noticed is that it has two temperature sensors one on the two LM317 heat sinks and one in the battery compartment but I have not figured out how the fan is controlled ( yet )

I am going to recap this board before I put it back in service
    Attached Files
    Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 04-25-2018, 07:02 PM.
    9 PC LCD Monitor
    6 LCD Flat Screen TV
    30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
    10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
    6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
    1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
    25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
    6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
    1 Dell Mother Board
    15 Computer Power Supply
    1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
    2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
    All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Re: APC 900 UPS fan going into high speed for no reason at all for long period of tim

If you pull it off the connector, will the fan comes on full speed? If it does then it may have bad connection or bad sensor. It looks like thermistor which you can check if it is NTC or PTC Thermistor.
    BTW, did you verify that the heatsink did not get real hot, right?
    Never stop learning
    Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
    http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

Re: APC 900 UPS fan going into high speed for no reason at all for long period of tim

Originally posted by sam_sam_sam View Post
      I have APC 900 UPS for about 4 to 6 years now and works very good except the cooling fan goes into high speed for no real good reason and sometimes does this for hours

Anyone have any idea what could be be the problem with it and what it will take to fix it

I have noticed is that it has two temperature sensors one on the two LM317 heat sinks and one in the battery compartment but I have not figured out how the fan is controlled ( yet )
      Does the UPS have a "logging interface"? If so, it may (mine do) report these temperatures -- as often as you configure the interface to do the reporting.

I accumulate the log information from my UPSs every hour (1 minute intervals) so I can see if something is going screwy on any of them (as well as monitoring the power that is being consumed by each). I've equipped some of them with "environmental monitors" (temperature and humidity) so I also have an ongoing log of the ambient temperature in the room (if the ambient isn't changing, then any changes in internal temperatures is due to power being consumed inside the UPS -- typ when it has to carry the load on battery or if it has engaged a test cycle).

[N.B. The UPS is capable of logging this information even when "off" as it's never REALLY "off"! As such, they make crude "line monitors" 24/7/365]

I am going to recap this board before I put it back in service
      Why? Do the caps show signs of distress? Known "problem manufacturers"?

Replacing caps isn't a panacea. If they aren't a problem, you stand to do more harm than good.

Comment

Attached is a snippet from one of my UPS's log files. I snipped much of the day's reports to trim it down to a manageable size. And, I added whitespace to the "column title" line to align the titles with the corresponding data columns beneath (the report is designed for a machine to parse, not a human!).

The last four columns -- three of which are absent due to sensors not being installed -- represent data external to the UPS (e.g., ambient temperature in the ROOM -- a steady 77.something).

The Tups column (rightmost prior to the Environmental Monitoring Unit columns) indicates the internal temperature of the UPS itself. Note that it hovers around 91-92 degrees (it appears that the resolution of the temperature sensor is a bit better than 1 degree F at this temperature: 91.92 - 91.02; 91.02 - 90.30. (By contrast, the ambient temperature is only reported to 1 degree precision so you don't know if it's 77.000, 77.999, 78.001, etc. But, the fact that it spends most of its time at "77" is suggestive)

The load figures are misleading. This UPS nominally powers a 24-port office switch, 24/7/365. So, it has a "non 0.0" load, despite the fact that the log only shows "0.0"!

However, the "0.43A" load appearing from 02:01 - 03:51 represents a ~50W incandescent lamp powered from the same UPS. (the "9.68%" figure for %Wout indicates 9.68% * 500W = 48.4W; the "7.00" figure for %out indicates 7.00% * 750VA = 52.50VA -- the difference being measurement or quantization error)

Note that the UPS internal temperature (Tups) bounces around even when the load is constant ("0.00A" or "0.43A"). So, the microcontroller is obviously twiddling "something" inside the UPS to cause these variations. The temperature doesn't track the changes in the load! (though it would if the unit was running off battery power)

[Why is the battery voltage bouncing around if the unit isn't running off battery?]

If you want to know what is driving the fan, forcibly cool each sensor and note the results. If NO change, suspect the sensor!

But, see what information you can extract from the UPS before doing so as it will tell you what the UPS thinks is going on!
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Curious.George; 04-26-2018, 01:34 AM.

Comment

The reason I was going to recap this board is because I do not recognize the brand name of the caps use
          9 PC LCD Monitor
          6 LCD Flat Screen TV
          1 Dell Mother Board
          15 Computer Power Supply

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

Comment

The reason I was going to recap this board is because I do not recognize the brand name of the caps use
            The manufacturer date on the board says 2006
            9 PC LCD Monitor
            6 LCD Flat Screen TV
            1 Dell Mother Board
            15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

When my APC SMT-750 did things for no reason at all, I had found a bad battery and few bad capacitors. You can read about it if you want. I've replaced the battery and the bad capacitors and the unit works A1 since.
              Last edited by CapLeaker; 04-27-2018, 04:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by CapLeaker View Post
                When my APC SMT-750 did things for no reason at all, I had found a bad battery and few bad capacitors. You can read about it if you want. I've replaced the battery and the bad capacitors and the unit works A1 since.
                Do you have a link to your post
                9 PC LCD Monitor
                6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                1 Dell Mother Board
                15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=66277

Comment

Here is a photo of the caps that was on this board
                    The 220uf@63 volts one is a FC
                    ***This is not a miss print***

330uf@63 volts ESR = .06 New one ESR .11
                    220uf@63 volts ESR = .16 New one ESR .13
                    47uf@50 volts ESR = 1.9 *** New one ESR .33
                    47uf@50 volts ESR = 1.2
                    47uf@50 volts ESR = 1.4
                    47uf@50 volts ESR = 72 ***
                    47uf@50 volts ESR = 68 ***
                    47uf@50 volts ESR = 52 ***
                    47uf@50 volts ESR = 1.5
                    22uf@63 volts ESR = 1.2 New one ESR .91
                    22uf@63 volts ESR = 1.9 ***
                    22uf@63 volts ESR = 1.2
                    22uf@63 volts ESR = .72
                    22uf@50 volts ESR = 2.0 ***
                    22uf@50 volts ESR = 7.8 *** New one ESR .41
                    4.7@50 volts ESR = 4.7 *** New one ESR .38

Some very bad caps on this board
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 04-29-2018, 05:25 PM.
                    9 PC LCD Monitor
                    6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                    1 Dell Mother Board
                    15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

Now I have to put board back in the case and see what happens next
                      9 PC LCD Monitor
                      6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                      1 Dell Mother Board
                      15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

I am curious too! Did you fully recap it?

Comment

Originally posted by CapLeaker View Post
                          I am curious too! Did you fully recap it?
                          Yes I fully recap the board
                          I have to put it back in it case but I do not have have time for next couple of days to do it

I will post the results after I get it put back together
                          9 PC LCD Monitor
                          6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                          1 Dell Mother Board
                          15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

Update

This was a pain in the A** to put this unit back together

I forgot to mention a few other things that this UPS battery back up was doing
                            When ever the air conditioner would come on it would start beeping a few times and stop
                            The fan would run at high speed for long periods of time

Now the fan runs at slow speed the heat sinks where the LM317 are mounted are warm ( not hot )

Now when the air conditioner comes on it does not beep

So it looks like it working like it suppose to which now I have an extra battery back up to put some where it new home is in our office it was in the living room

my son and my wife could not take the noise of the fan going at high speed

One note I am using lipo 4 batteries in this battery backup
                            The protection board is very similar to the one I used but it has 7 battery inputs not 4
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 05-06-2018, 06:28 PM.
                            9 PC LCD Monitor
                            6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                            1 Dell Mother Board
                            15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

Another update

The fan seems to be stuck between medium and low speed

but it is not very loud and the case is little bit warm on one side where the transformer is

but ( not hot ) I can live with it
                              Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 05-07-2018, 08:17 PM.
                              9 PC LCD Monitor
                              6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                              1 Dell Mother Board
                              15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

Update

This was a pain in the A** to put this unit back together

I forgot to mention a few other things that this UPS battery back up was doing
                                When ever the air conditioner would come on it would start beeping a few times and stop
                                The fan would run at high speed for long periods of time

Now the fan runs at slow speed the heat sinks where the LM317 are mounted are warm ( not hot )

Now when the air conditioner comes on it does not beep

So it looks like it working like it suppose to which now I have an extra battery back up to put some where it new home is in our office it was in the living room

my son and my wife could not take the noise of the fan going at high speed

One note I am using lipo 4 batteries in this battery backup
                                The protection board is very similar to the one I used but it has 7 battery inputs not 4
                                Can you please give me the link to that Batt protection board?
                                How do you manage the battery charging circuit?
                                Never stop learning
                                Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
                                http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
                                http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
                                http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
                                http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
                                http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

Another update

The fan seems to be stuck between medium and low speed

but it is not very loud and the case is little bit warm on one side where the transformer is

but ( not hot ) I can live with it
                                  I am not familiar with that exact APC 900 model. There are some APC UPS's where the fan does not run. There are also others and the fan runs all the time. Fan speed depending on internal temperature.

Comment

Several "3S or 4S Li-ion BMS board" from 10A-50A (or 100A chinese amps) on fleabay and Ali which cover charge balance, over/under voltage, temperature monitoring, for a few bucks.

"900VA" (540W) 5 minute run-time UPS would use around 52A at 12V (assuming 85% efficiency).

You'd just have to modify the UPS charge voltage to 4.2Vx3S = 12.6V or 14.8V for 4S but the cell voltages are different, so the UPS would make mistakes with % charge and it would have to have CV charging only.
                                    I'm not sure 18650's can take the discharge current- high discharge 18650's I see for vaping and RC cars.
                                    Attached Files

Comment

This is reason that I use 7 cells than 8 cells is because of the charging voltage is only about 27 volts 8X3.6 volts = 28.8 volts

Yes I know that 7X3.6 volts = 23.0 the protection board end the charging voltage when the voltage on the battery reachs 3.6 volts so I do not worry about it over charging them
                                      They have been in there for about a year now with out problems

One note I can not find the exact same protection boards that I use but you could use 2 - 12 volt protection boards they should work if you have the room for the batteries and protection boards
                                      Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 05-08-2018, 07:35 PM.
                                      9 PC LCD Monitor
                                      6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                                      1 Dell Mother Board
                                      15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

Originally posted by redwire View Post
                                        "900VA" (540W) 5 minute run-time UPS would use around 52A at 12V (assuming 85% efficiency).
                                        Office
                                        The only thing that I am running on this battery backup now is powering a cable modem , a router a lap top computer and a I cloud hard drive

Living room

It was powering a 55 inch LCD tv and the cable box and a clock

So I am not drawing that much current it would run about 15 minuets the only downside to this setup is that if you let run more 15 minuets then you have to repower the protection board again

This UPS battery back up does not turn on the charging circuit with out the battery voltage being there

I have another UPS battery back up that does have charging voltage even if the battery is not there
                                        Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 05-08-2018, 07:33 PM.
                                        9 PC LCD Monitor
                                        6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                                        1 Dell Mother Board
                                        15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

Working...
                                        X