Socket 940/939 Cooler bracket failure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Socket 940/939 Cooler bracket failure

Found some missing pieces (thumbscrews) to one of my retired rigs, my dual Opteron X2 Socket 940 rig, went to move it to replace them, and made an unfortunate discovery:

The freaking plastic heatsink bracket sheared off while sitting. Thank goodness that didn't happen when it was running!

I removed the thermal compound before shooting that... it wasn't until after that I figured out why the cooler came loose, right as I was about to apply fresh

I have some Dead/Disused socket 940 stuff floating around if I want the cheap way to fix... anyway, anybody know of who/what makes for a better cooler bracket?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by ratdude747; 04-04-2021, 09:58 AM.
    sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Re: Socket 940/939 Cooler bracket failure

I've seen this happen before. The metal integrated heat-spreader varies in height between Socket 939 and Socket AM2/2+. It looks like the HSF is interchangeable between the two, but the difference in the IHS height sometimes increases the stress in the plastic retaining bracket when the HSF is locked, causing the tab to snap on occasion. You can replace the whole assembly from a dead or flaky mobo if available.

There's an alternate heat-pipe stacked-fin cooler which uses the cabinet airflow, instead of a mounted fan, to cool the stack. I had that on a DFI Lanparty SLI board with a S939 Opteron 165, now retired. I'll take a pic in due course.

Comment

you can literally replace it with another bracket from a 939/am2/am3's motherboard
      Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
      ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

The tabs breaking off a socket370 meant the kiss of death... That one can easily be replaced. The socket-A/462 had the 3-tab sockets, and were pretty tough if using a heatsink that grabbed all 3.

939/940/AM2 were like skt478 brackets...broke easily, but cheap and easy to replace.
        <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
        Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
        http://folding.stanford.edu/
        Team : 49813
        Join in!!
        Team Stats

Comment

Yeah I know it's replaceable... that wasn't my question. My question was more along the lines of "is there a particular brand or style that is less prone to breakage"?

The coolers are Cooler Master TX3's, for the record.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
            Yeah I know it's replaceable... that wasn't my question. My question was more along the lines of "is there a particular brand or style that is less prone to breakage"?

The coolers are Cooler Master TX3's, for the record.
            The socket brackets are pretty universal like a P4 skt478 bracket is... If you need a replacement, just say the word, I've got a bunch of them. Are they prone to breaking? I've seen a few....but it wasn't a really big problem.
            <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
            Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
            http://folding.stanford.edu/
            Team : 49813
            Join in!!
            Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
              The socket brackets are pretty universal like a P4 skt478 bracket is... If you need a replacement, just say the word, I've got a bunch of them. Are they prone to breaking? I've seen a few....but it wasn't a really big problem.
              I have some on dead/defunct boards... Just seeing if there's something to look out for when picking a replacement.
              sigpic

Comment

Back in 2001 and 2002, I only had a heatsink for socket 462 that connected to the middle tabs! Especially with a T-bird when gaming, losing a middle tab was death for them!
                ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

some companies like scythe, came up with metal heatsink mounting brackets for s478 and 775. ditto for 754/939/am2(+).

TechPowerup - Scythe enhances Cooler Mounting: CPU Cooler Stabilizer 775 replaces Push Pins
                  Quiet PC - Scythe CPU Cooler Stabiliser 775

TechPowerup - Scythe Brings In CPU Cooler Stabilizer for AMD Sockets 939, AM2
                  Quiet PC - Scythe CPU Cooler Stabiliser AMD

funny how the japanese always come to the rescue everytime someone else comes up with shitty aesthetics for their products!

Comment

Originally posted by ChaosLegionnaire View Post
                    some companies like scythe, came up with metal heatsink mounting brackets for s478 and 775. ditto for 754/939/am2(+).

TechPowerup - Scythe enhances Cooler Mounting: CPU Cooler Stabilizer 775 replaces Push Pins
                    Quiet PC - Scythe CPU Cooler Stabiliser 775

TechPowerup - Scythe Brings In CPU Cooler Stabilizer for AMD Sockets 939, AM2
                    Quiet PC - Scythe CPU Cooler Stabiliser AMD

funny how the japanese always come to the rescue everytime someone else comes up with shitty aesthetics for their products!
                    Shame, they seem to be unobtainium... otherwise I'd buy four, for the two of my three AMD systems that could use such (I have a socket F system with the same TX3 coolers; my socket 940 server has Screw-down dynatrons that don't have this issue!)
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
                      Shame, they seem to be unobtainium... otherwise I'd buy four, for the two of my three AMD systems that could use such (I have a socket F system with the same TX3 coolers; my socket 940 server has Screw-down dynatrons that don't have this issue!)
                      They made an updated version called the Scythe Universal Retention Kit III, frozencpu seem to have some in stock

https://www.frozencpu.com/products/2...2_AM2_AM3.html
                      Last edited by SMDFlea; 04-06-2021, 01:30 PM.
                      All donations to badcaps are welcome, click on this link to donate. Thanks to all supporters

Comment

Originally posted by SMDFlea View Post
                        They made an updated version called the Scythe Universal Retention Kit III, frozencpu seem to have some in stock

https://www.frozencpu.com/products/2...2_AM2_AM3.html
                        Good find. Noted... will probably get me some.
                        sigpic

Comment

Working...
                        X