Trying to Determine if Bad Caps is Really The Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Trying to Determine if Bad Caps is Really The Problem

I'm using a Presidian Personal Internet Communicator to get online; it is basically just a "box" and not a computer; a closed system using Windows CE for an OS that does not allow download, upload, or updating of any software by the user, just the ability to get online and do research/email. It has no drives and all udating is done through the ISP.

On one hand it is great; on another, frustrating to not be able to download/upload anything!

Hey, I hope I'm not wearing everybody out w/my multiple threads... just trying to solve the problems. :

Thanks again for taking a look at the issues

Comment

caps can be leaning when they are installed or get pushed when you install the mobo. it does not always indicate badcaps.

can you install xp without your pci cards and then add them one by one after xp is installed.
      capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

Originally posted by ASUSP2B-D
        4. I can't test the mem untul I can get online, or find somewhere to burn an online test to disk and run it in Safe Mode.
        Feedback, PLEASE!!!
        Memtest86 and/or Memtest+ is/are not run on-line or from Windows. You download the program, install it onto a floppy or CD (depending on which version you got), then reboot with the floppy or CD, and the program runs automatically. I've attached the latest version of Memtest86 (for use with a floppy) from www.memtest86.com; I've had problems with the Memtest+ program.
        Attached Files

Comment

user is only online with a ce internet device, no download.

Comment

Hey, Thanks for posting that file; I'll get to it and give it a try and then I'll let you know the results.

Good to know on the caps issue; Thanks for telling me that!

As for removing all pc cards, yup, I've done that; all except for an extra "easy parallel" card that I seem to keep forgetting is in there... still no progress w/a skeletal system; I think I may go ahead and remove that par card and try again w/install...

HardwareAnalysis.com has a long list of folks who have encountered this problem w/XP Pro (Splash Screen freeze). It isn't easy to make out what worked for people and apply it to my situation, but the good news is that they have tried everything suggested here and seem to have all concluded the prob is w/installing OS software rather than a hardware problem. Still doesn't help to know what the bleep to do next that will get this bleeping thing to boot up, but I guess it narrows things down (or helps to!)

Alright then... I'll keep working on the prob....and keep y'all in the loop; much gratitude guys...

Comment

except for an extra "easy parallel" card
              whats that? doesnt your board have parallel port? recommend to install without that it may be causing probs

anyway if others have the same probs and no solution i would look for another board on ebay or if any of the members here put something up for sale. you should be able to pick up a nice 815 chipset with an 866 or whatever cheap if you want to keep your ram or otherwise an 845 with p4 but needs ddr also. personally its not worth running 98 anymore especially if you are on the net (bad security)
              Last edited by willawake; 03-12-2006, 04:28 PM.

Comment

sure my board has par port; it is just an extra! (a vintage leftover, one might say...)

Yup, definately am considering another board... which one, don't know... suggestions are always welcome

Is that Guiness I see in that glass?

Comment

sure my board has par port; it is just an extra! (a vintage leftover, one might say...)

definitely take it out before you install xp it could cause problems. try again to install without it.

if you want to buy a new board tell us you country and your budget

Comment

We have lift-off!!!! Yeahhh!!!!

Willawake, you did it! I took out that extra par port card (don't know why I kept missing it), reformatted the HD, did a clean install of XP Pro and it worked like a charm!!!!!

_THANK YOU_!!!!!!

Comment

no problem

Comment

That is pretty logical, the computers own parallel port prolly had the same memory address as the one you put in... (0378 - 037F) Change it to another memory range and you will prolly be fine...

You can probably do that on the add in parallel card too via jumpers if you want to go that route...
                        "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Working...
                        X