How do I get rid of the burning smell?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do I get rid of the burning smell?

So my pre-amplifier took a dump, tonight. No apparent reason other than age, I suspect. It's a Yamaha C-65 preamp. I suspect the transformer itself may have taken a dump--I'll open it up, tomorrow to see if I find anything obvious, but I had to physically remove the unit from the house, and store it out in my car for the night because it stinks so bad. The remaining burning smell is stinking up the apartment, and I have one of those wives with the super sensitive noses, who smell every little thing so it's bugging the hell out of her.

Is this smell gonna stick for a long time? Do I need to go at the whole house with some Lysol or other deodorizer? I've got fans blowing across the apartment, all the windows open, but it's lingering. I used some citrus cleaner around the area the preamp was sitting, hoping to remove any residue? I don't know.

Ideas?

Matthew

p.s. This was the preamp I used for headphone listening, too! Waaah!
    Presonus Audiobox USB, Schiit Magni 3, Sony MDR-V700

Re: How do I get rid of the burning smell?

That burning smell could be from a ruptured capacitor in the power supply or anywhere in the circuit. Though too it could be a semi-conductor like rectifier diode, transistor or IC. It is only when you open it up and switch it ON in a controlled environment, then you may discover the source of the smell and the fault on the pre-amp.

Comment

it could be anything - even burned paxoline or cable insulation.
      get it open fast - the sooner it's open, the sooner you can blow out the smell and find the cause.

Comment

This was what caused the smell, which seems to have subsided from the house, today. Although, I had a wooden crate sitting on top of the unit (there's no vents so it doesn't matter) and it seems to have absorbed the smell.
        Attached Files
        Presonus Audiobox USB, Schiit Magni 3, Sony MDR-V700

Comment

Those two transistors probably shorted out burning the resistors and PCB. I am almost certain the copper traces were burnt as well. Can be repaired but will take some time and patience.

Comment

that has been cooking a long time.
            looks like a design flaw that finally caught up to it.

Comment

Working...
            X