This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: ESR meter upgrades

Have you placed the downloaded files into the same location as avrdude? That seems to be the issue you were having, avrdude couldn’t find the files, so the flash didn’t even start.

Comment

Originally posted by TEDDIBEAR View Post
      Thanks to all for your help,and to Stj for finding the error, unfortunately being very new to using usbasp I am having trouble after downloading program transfering it to avrdude files, what files would I need to add to this (
      avrdude -c USBasp -P usb -p m328p -U flash:w:TransistorTester.hex \-U eeprom:w:TransistorTester.eep \-U lfuse:w:0xf7:m \-U hfuse:w:0xd9:m \-U efuse:w:0xfc:m) to get the flash for mcu to except, sorry if I sound a bit thick
      but I have been told this can not be done, only through arduino, by local computer engineer, but I think you guys know a lot more than he does.
      John
      Maybe check this video from about 11.30 onwards not sure if it will help you though
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_LY...dex=76&list=WL

Comment

the files must be in the same folder the command-line window is in.

if the window is in root (/)
        you can move around with the "cd" command.
        like "cd Downloads"

Comment

but I have been told this can not be done, only through arduino, by local computer engineer,
          tell him to stop calling himself an engineer - he's a fucking clown.
          USBasp is a dedicated AVR chip programmer - arduino is a learning toy.

Comment

o.k.
            flashing for beginners.

make a folder on the drive called "flashing"
            extract the files into it.
            open the command-line up
            type "cd /flashing" hitting enter afterwards obviously.
            type "dir"
            you should see the extracted files.
            if you do then you can do the job - if not then post what happened.

Comment

Well, as he is running Windows it might be better to use paths that work in Windows?
              So if you open up the command prompt it will show you what directory it is in.
              Normally that would be the users home directory so for example C:\Users\Per
              If you have the files in "downloads" just change into that directory:
              cd Downloads
              And then run the avrdude command.
              "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

the problem is every windows is a bit different.
                (and progressivly worse with stuff more scattered - but that's a recovery issue)

Comment

Thanks all for your help ref my possibly bricked LCR-T4 v2.68, thanks STJ for helping me to understand the basics and getting me up and running, ( analog brain in a digital world) lol.
                  I have managed to get AVRDUDE up and running have tried every Hex and eep file I can find including ones from this thread all to no avail, I still finish with a blank illuminated screen at the end, one thing I have noticed is this (avrdude: safemode:efuse changed was FC now 4. would you like this fuse to be changed back?) (y/n) if you press y it locks the program, if you press n it changes to 4, does this matter or have I Bricked the chip?

Code:
                  C:\avrdude>avrdude -c USBasp -P usb -p m328p -U flash:w:TransistorTester.hex \
                   eeprom:w:TransistorTester.eep \-U lfuse:w:0xf7:m \-U hfuse:w:0xd9:m \-U efuse
                  :0xfc:m

avrdude: warning: cannot set sck period. please check for usbasp firmware upda
                  avrdude: AVR device initialized and ready to accept instructions

Reading | ################################################## | 100% 0.09s

avrdude: Device signature = 0x1e950f
                  avrdude: NOTE: "flash" memory has been specified, an erase cycle will be perfo
                  ed
                       To disable this feature, specify the -D option.
                  avrdude: erasing chip
                  avrdude: warning: cannot set sck period. please check for usbasp firmware upda
                  avrdude: reading input file "TransistorTester.hex"
                  avrdude: input file TransistorTester.hex auto detected as Intel Hex
                  avrdude: writing flash (30078 bytes):

Writing | ################################################## | 100% 29.06s

avrdude: 30078 bytes of flash written
                  avrdude: verifying flash memory against TransistorTester.hex:
                  avrdude: load data flash data from input file TransistorTester.hex:
                  avrdude: input file TransistorTester.hex auto detected as Intel Hex
                  avrdude: input file TransistorTester.hex contains 30078 bytes
                  avrdude: reading on-chip flash data:

Reading | ################################################## | 100% 19.55s

avrdude: verifying ...
                  avrdude: 30078 bytes of flash verified

avrdude: safemode: Fuses OK (E:04, H:D9, L:F7)

avrdude done. Thank you.

C:\avrdude>

avrdude version 6.1, URL: <http://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/avrdude/>

C:\avrdude>avrdude -c USBasp -p m328p -U efuse:w:0xfc:m

avrdude: warning: cannot set sck period. please check for usbasp firmware update
                  avrdude: AVR device initialized and ready to accept instructions

Reading | ################################################## | 100% 0.02s

avrdude: Device signature = 0x1e950f
                  avrdude: reading input file "0xfc"
                  avrdude: writing efuse (1 bytes):

Writing |                          | 0% 0.00s ***faile
                  d;
                  Writing | ################################################## | 100% 0.11s

avrdude: 1 bytes of efuse written
                  avrdude: verifying efuse memory against 0xfc:
                  avrdude: load data efuse data from input file 0xfc:
                  avrdude: input file 0xfc contains 1 bytes
                  avrdude: reading on-chip efuse data:

Reading | ################################################## | 100% 0.00s

avrdude: verifying ...
                  avrdude: verification error, first mismatch at byte 0x0000
                       0x04 != 0xfc
                  avrdude: verification error; content mismatch

avrdude: safemode: efuse changed! Was fc, and is now 4
                  Would you like this fuse to be changed back? [y/n] y
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Per Hansson; 11-18-2017, 03:09 AM. Reason: Added CODE tags

Comment

that 04/fc thing can be ignored.
                    some chips do that - it's fine.

Comment

So the tester is still not working? still showing the blank illuminated screen at the end of programming?

Comment

Originally posted by vinceroger69 View Post
                        So the tester is still not working? still showing the blank illuminated screen at the end of programming?
                        Must have tried every hex file out there they all loaded but still the same result.on switch on black full screen grid then illumination with blank screen.
                        perhaps I need the specific V2.68 firmware for this LCR-T4 which originally came with a couple of strange names on boot up, unfortunately all I can remember is it was something like Hoxin & ****.
                        John

Comment

did you try tom66 firmware he posted in this thread about halfway down the page
                          https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testge...r-project/939/
                          Last edited by Per Hansson; 11-18-2017, 03:12 AM. Reason: Added URL tags

Comment

I went around in circles like this for a while with mine, I'm sure you'll get there. Going out on a limb here could it be the firmware isn't compatible with that LCD or that particular hardware? I note from the trunk there are three variants of the st7565

st7565/
                            st7565_kit/
                            wei_st7565/

https://www.mikrocontroller.net/svnb...oftware/trunk/

Click on the Rev. number for the file you want and save link.

Comment

I also found this thread, someone else in a similar situation as yourself.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testge...k-block-issue/

bonus Russian flashing his device, with links to files under the video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDHIITj1BZ4
                              Last edited by jondoe; 11-16-2017, 02:29 PM. Reason: extra link

Comment

Hi jondoe & vinceroger, yes have tried all of those, I think it could be a graphics fault with the chip as when a battery is attached and the button pressed it switches on with a illuminated full black matrix, which disappears after 2 seconds , the display then stays illuminated for one and a half minutes then switches off,
                                so it looks like something is happening behind the scenes, my next thought is replace the chip. any suggestions?

Comment

Id start by trying to confirm the LCD controller/type. For the price of a replacement Atmel chip you might as well buy a different model and build it yourself!

Comment

replace the chip?
                                    how does that help find the right software??

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                                      replace the chip?
                                      how does that help find the right software??
                                      It does'nt, I was only going down this road as trying all the software available with no success could the chip be faulty? as it does not seem to have any display only the full grid pattern for two seconds at switch on, could it be I am missing a file?

I know I can buy a replacement cheaply, but when I get my teeth into a project I like to think I can achieve something ( with a little help of course).
                                      john

Comment

It does'nt, I was only going down this road as trying all the software available with no success could the chip be faulty? as it does not seem to have any display only the full grid pattern for two seconds at switch on, could it be I am missing a file?

I know I can buy a replacement cheaply, but when I get my teeth into a project I like to think I can achieve something ( with a little help of course).
                                        john
                                        maybe worth you also posting in the eev blog forum as few of use are members on there too hopefully someone on there has seen this problem before.

Comment

john

You might go to the length of replacing the MCU and not be any better off as you can't confirm that is the failure. I'd suggest trying to flash each of the three variants for that LCD screen I posted earlier on (if you haven't already), if none of those three work out-of-the-box, consider compiling your own for each version.

It might be worth, if you can see it, looking for the chip details for the LCD controller, it might be something completely different!

Comment

Working...
                                          X