Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why this UPS is using 1200V IGBTs ?

Hello everybody.

I have opened a UPS for repair today and i was surprised to see 40A 1200V IGBTs in a bridge configuration along with 2 40A 600V IGBTs. and a 75A 1200V ultra fast diode.

The UPS has an input and output of 240 V ac .
    And using 12 Vdc 9Ah batterie totaling around 16 or 20 battery.

Re: Why this UPS is using 1200V IGBTs ?

bigger is better.

Comment

Originally posted by brethin View Post
      bigger is better.
      lolz.

I dont see why they are using those.

Comment

maybe they have lower on-resistance and generate less heat.

Comment

There is also 450 v 1000 uf electrolytics i think in the inverter board.
          And i cant find 1200v igbts only 600v in stores.
          Last edited by SistMaticZ; 10-09-2019, 06:50 AM.

Comment

what are the numbers on the originals?
            Last edited by R_J; 10-09-2019, 10:29 AM.

Comment

Ngtb40n120fl2w-d along with GP4063D on the right and a 75 A 1200V diode in the middle RHRG75120.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by SistMaticZ; 10-09-2019, 11:56 AM.

Comment

i think one pair is faulty.

Comment

Yes this UPS was sent for repair.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                    i think one pair is faulty.
                    bit of filler should fix them just fine

Comment

Still waiting for the service manual by email.

How do you tjink i can safely remove the pcbs ? i mean disconnect everything safely ?

Comment

Still waiting for the service manual by email.

Comment

are most upses using IGBTs nowadays or depends on VAs?

hmm...wonder when I should think about using IGBTs instead of MOSFETs...

Comment

The problem with IGBT module is that some of them are very hard to find a replacement for because it seems manufacturers are using obsolete parts from the word go and things are good until you have repair one of these units and it like what the heck I can not find the part or you can find the part but it from over seas and takes for ever to get

What up with this

In some cases when a manufacturer built a device even when they do an update version of this device they still use obsolete replacement part and you still have the same problem it might be a little easier to find the part but you still have to wait for awhile for part to come from over seas
                            Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 10-12-2019, 06:55 AM.
                            9 PC LCD Monitor
                            6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                            30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
                            10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
                            6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
                            1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
                            25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
                            6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
                            1 Dell Mother Board
                            15 Computer Power Supply
                            1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
                            2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
                            All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

Originally posted by sam_sam_sam View Post
                              The problem with IGBT module is that some of them are very hard to find a replacement for because it seems manufacturers are using obsolete parts from the word go and things are good until you have repair one of these units and it like what the heck I can not find the part or you can find the part but it from over seas and takes for ever to get

What up with this

In some cases when a manufacturer built a device even when they do an update version of this device they still use obsolete replacement part and you still have the same problem it might be a little easier to find the part but you still have to wait for awhile for part to come from over seas
                              I dont repair devices with igbt scr modules only to 247 package and similar . those are way easier to find and very cheap .

Comment

Here is where you can find some

https://f2rq3.app.goo.gl/?link=https...3451073&amv=69

But even these are hard to find because they are obsolete as well or they are were made a for manufacturer that does not use them any more

Because if you have to go to a website like this one it already tell me that is the case

Now if you can find them in places like Digikey or Mouser then this good unless it tell you end of life then this item has become obsolete
                                Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 10-12-2019, 07:32 AM.
                                9 PC LCD Monitor
                                6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                                1 Dell Mother Board
                                15 Computer Power Supply

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

Comment

Here is where you can find some

https://f2rq3.app.goo.gl/?link=https...3451073&amv=69

But even these are hard to find because they are obsolete as well or they are were made a for manufacturer that does not use them any more

Because if you have to go to a website like this one it already tell me that is the case

Now if you can find them in places like Digikey or Mouser then this good unless it tell you end of life then this item has become obsolete
                                  I dont know about the USA , but here entire city deals with chinese stuff specially casablanca.

Some electronic components dont exist but at least i can find equivalents if i search around a little bit more.

As for online shopping am trying to find good sources with good prices for shipping .

Comment

Originally posted by SistMaticZ View Post
                                    As for online shopping am trying to find good sources with good prices for shipping .
                                    This is hardest part of sourcing parts is cost and shipping cost can take some time to do
                                    9 PC LCD Monitor
                                    6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                                    1 Dell Mother Board
                                    15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

This is hardest part of sourcing parts is cost and shipping cost can take some time to do
                                      Whats worse is the delivery delay time . A client cant wait 1 month for his device to be repaired.

And that is the main reason that pushes me to think about changing my job.
                                      Last edited by SistMaticZ; 10-13-2019, 02:42 PM.

Comment

There might be a better way to deal with your customers ( that if you do not work for a company )

This is what I tell them once I know what the problem with their machine or item that I working on

I look up the parts that I think they are going to need if I find that the item is an obsolete part that I can get but it going to take a while to get I tell them how long plus add one or maybe two week more than it might take to get it

Then I ask the customer can you wait this long if you can not wait this long they need to make other plans

That might sound like I am mean but I rather be that way up front but I will not be stress out about your problem that I do not have any control of I am sorry about this fact

Some time where I work at the same exact thing happens and sometimes they get mad about it then I ask them what do you want to me do about this fact

Unless you want to spend a lot of money to do a machine upgrade then you will have to wait

I have this problem with a machine that the PLC took a s**t and the PLC is obsolete and the only thing I can do is find a used one or find a remanufactured PLC but going this route will take some time to get a working one

Or they can spend $6000.00 for a retro fit PLC and plus installation which would probably be any where from $2000.00 to maybe $4000.00 or maybe more ( they did not want to even think about going this route manufacturer date 2008 )

Because once a repair goes over a certain amount then it takes an act of Congress to get it approved this why they did not want to go this route

Just to show you how desperate they are we have another machine that is smiler but not the same exact model that the PLC

I hope this helps
                                        Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 10-13-2019, 04:22 PM.
                                        9 PC LCD Monitor
                                        6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                                        1 Dell Mother Board
                                        15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

Working...
                                        X