Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This is Why You NEVER Ignore Bad Capacitors!

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: This is Why You NEVER Ignore Bad Capacitors!

It is, indirectly. The system would have to be packed full of dust. If a MOSFET flared as a result of the caps, it could then set the dust on fire.
    I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

I have a 8 year old computer (may not be 8 years old) that has a PSU and a GPU with bulging caps. For whatever reason, the computer still works. The GPU issue probably started while this computer was being gamed on by some friends.

Photos:
      PSU caps:
      https://www.badcaps.net/forum/attach...1&d=1420420251

GPU cap:

Attached Files
      Don't buy those $10 PSU "specials". They fail, and they have taken whole computers with them.

My computer doubles as a space heater.

Permanently Retired Systems:
      RIP Advantech UNO-3072LA (2008-2021) - Decommissioned and taken out of service permanently due to lack of software support for it. Not very likely to ever be recommissioned again.
      Asus Q550LF (Old main laptop, 2014-2022) - Decommissioned and stripped due to a myriad of problems, the main battery bloating being the final nail in the coffin.

Kooky and Kool Systems
      - 1996 Power Macintosh 7200/120 + PC Compatibility Card - Under Restoration
      - 1993 Gateway 2000 80486DX/50 - Fully Operational/WIP
      - 2004 Athlon 64 Retro Gaming System - Indefinitely Parked
      - Main Workstation - Fully operational!

sigpic

Comment

PSU pc case kill the motherboard (motherboard repaired, working now):

Label PSU:

PCB:

Bad cap: (brand unknown)

Motherboard killed:

Therefore, should not put sources of cheap supply.
        Bye
        Attached Files
        Gaming pc:
        nVidia RTX 3080 TI, Corsair RM750I.
        Workshop PC:
        Intel core i5 8400, Intel SSD 256GB, nvidia gt1030, asus b365-a.
        Server:

Comment

The PSU probably had nothing to do with it, unless you already replaced them the 16v capacitors that are directly connected to the psu's 12v are not affected. The KZG capacitors are after the dc-dc converter for the cpu.

The KZG series of capacitors from UCC is notoriously bad, they go bad in time in lots of computers even if they were equipped with high end power supplies.
          They probably died due to heat from the cpu heatsink and from simple "wear and tear", i mean long time use of the computer. Like i said, these series of capacitors is simply bad.
          Last edited by mariushm; 05-07-2015, 05:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mariushm View Post
            The PSU probably had nothing to do with it, unless you already replaced them the 16v capacitors that are directly connected to the psu's 12v are not affected. The KZG capacitors are after the dc-dc converter for the cpu.

The KZG series of capacitors from UCC is notoriously bad, they go bad in time in lots of computers even if they were equipped with high end power supplies.
            They probably died due to heat from the cpu heatsink and from simple "wear and tear", i mean long time use of the computer. Like i said, these series of capacitors is simply bad.
            Yes, there was a batch of defective KZG/KZJ.
            But this source was very unstable electrically, because broken a hard disk.
            Last edited by kevin!; 05-16-2015, 08:10 AM.
            Gaming pc:
            Workshop PC:
            Server:

Comment

The forum FRAME SIZE was getting thrown off here..
              Don't buy those $10 PSU "specials". They fail, and they have taken whole computers with them.

My computer doubles as a space heater.

Permanently Retired Systems:
              RIP Advantech UNO-3072LA (2008-2021) - Decommissioned and taken out of service permanently due to lack of software support for it. Not very likely to ever be recommissioned again.
              Asus Q550LF (Old main laptop, 2014-2022) - Decommissioned and stripped due to a myriad of problems, the main battery bloating being the final nail in the coffin.

Kooky and Kool Systems
              - 1996 Power Macintosh 7200/120 + PC Compatibility Card - Under Restoration
              - 1993 Gateway 2000 80486DX/50 - Fully Operational/WIP
              - 2004 Athlon 64 Retro Gaming System - Indefinitely Parked
              - Main Workstation - Fully operational!

sigpic

Comment

I seen a lot of bad caps in my days, but that vp6 take the cake for catastrophic failure.

Comment

My FSP300-60PN (PF) unit just went crap on me today. Initially I thought the problem was in those 3 small (D6.3) Teapos SEK 470/6.3 out of 5 I left on the MB which bulged. But than I found the PSU was only working with no load. So than I found also another two Teapos (2.2/50) around the primary switchers went high ESR.

Next time I will always replace ALL caps no matter how terrible work that is. Because both the board and the PSU were recapped years ago, but I omitted these small ones. After over half a year of 24/7 full 3GHz 478 Prescott (@3.3 GHz) load under BOINC, this cost me half a day of wasted time…

I hate Teapo! At least now it is clean once again, RAM is slightly upgraded and I found second USB header so I got more USBs now. (I was not using this still 6 years ago when ppl already got dozens of USB devices, now it has catched me unprepared on this bench comp and 5 USB seems like not enough anymore lol now i got 7 and hub just in case )
                  Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Exclusive caps, meters and more!
                  Hardware Insights - power supply reviews and more!

Comment

Why is it Teapos fault when you messed up?!

Especially since this unit is rather oldly.
                    The specs I found for this unit says something about 65% efficiency...
                    Especially since this unit seems to be rather old...

Comment

Originally posted by Behemot View Post
                      So than I found also another two Teapos (2.2/50) around the primary switchers went high ESR.)
                      The bias caps for the switching transistors. Out of all the small caps, in a half-bridge, among the more important ones.

Grasping at straws to keep the "small caps aren't important" myth alive, are we?

I've only been saying that, what, since I joined BCN. Why are you so surprised that it finally acted up when you neglected to change them?

You had to know of cheapo-teapo's non-quality; that's why you were in there to begin with. Why you left them in when you first recapped it is beyond me... Don't blame far-fetched, obscure non-issues, like the transformer, when those craps are in plain sight.

You hate teapo?! I sure as shit would never stoop that low if I neglected to effect a COMPLETE repair. That's as bad (worse?) as recapping a motherboard with KZG pulls "that looked good," then blaming whoever made the mobo for the (guaranteed!) instability five months after the "recap."
                      "pokemon go... to hell!"

EOL it...
                      Originally posted by shango066
                      All style and no substance.
                      Originally posted by smashstuff30
                      guilty,guilty,guilty,guilty!
                      guilty of being cheap-made!

Comment

Well, so far, they NEVER got bad so it seems I had a period when I left them alone. Now I mostly do, can handle those ten minutes when I already spent who knows how long in there. These days I usually only leave the secondary ones on the daughterboard

I am now thinking if I have not omitted them on purpose in this unit, knowing I will use it so I won't be putting anybody else in hazard. If so, I guess I can say experiment was sucessfull…as always in the worst possible moment.
                        Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Comment

Look at the datasheet of those caps.
                          They are rated for 1.000h of Lifetime. And they just say that SEK equals SE series...

So whenever you see that, it may be better to replace those tiny things on sight...

CapXon has a way better choice of Standard type caps, Teapo doesn't seem to have anything interesting, besides their low ESR types...

As for CapXon the KH, TH and TE series seems to be quite interesting as replacement.

Comment

Originally posted by kevin! View Post
                            Yes, there was a batch of defective KZG/KZJ.
                            I can confirm that I have a bad batch of them! IIRC, all of the 3300 uF KZGs on my 2004 Asus A7N8X-X visibly failed, bulging and leaking when just sitting in my room!

I think that even Teapo isn't this bad... The Teapo caps were still looking good on my 2008 FSP! (The voltages are also stable in the BIOS)

Ironically, the voltages are dropping alot on my 2011 Antec VP-450! It looks like the caps in the 2011 Antec VP-450 possibly failed without bulging! IIRC, I think it may also drop as low as 11.4 V and maybe lower when loading the GeForce GTX 660 Ti at stock clocks...

No sign of major voltage fluctuations on my older PSU! The 2008 FSP seems unstoppable!

Is there even any evidence of Teapo caps in PSUs failing like Fuhjyyu caps did in CWT Antecs???

The 2011 PSU has a Capxon cap, if not 2 or 3 of them, IIRC. That could be the cause...
                            Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 04-03-2016, 03:32 AM.
                            ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

What exactly has voltage regulation to do with caps? The Antec is simply heavier on +5 V rail.

Comment

Originally posted by RJARRRPCGP View Post
                                I can confirm that I have a bad batch of them! IIRC, all of the 3300 uF KZGs on my 2004 Asus A7N8X-X visibly failed, bulging and leaking when just sitting in my room!

I think that even Teapo isn't this bad... The Teapo caps were still looking good on my 2008 FSP! (The voltages are also stable in the BIOS)
                                I agree, The Teapo capacitors, usually come out good.

I also have a FPS with Teapo from 250w, carries 4 years non-stop (24/7), and there are no signs of exhaustion or stability problems or fluctuations.
                                The source is 2005, rescue of a computer wet.

It is the best source I've ever had!
                                Gaming pc:
                                Workshop PC:
                                Server:

Comment

Hello BadCaps users! This'll be my first post here.

I recently got a Dell Optiplex in for repair, the symptom being overheating and shutting down randomly.

Come to find, 3 motherboard capacitors have gone.

I'm not sure of the brand, but if I'm not mistaken they're Nippons?

They have a similar logo and I can't see the sides of them very well, I will take the motherboard out later and invesigate further, but thankfully these were caught before any severe damage was caused.
                                  Attached Files
                                  Popcorn.

Comment

Originally posted by kevin! View Post
                                    I agree, The Teapo capacitors, usually come out good.

I also have a FPS with Teapo from 250w, carries 4 years non-stop (24/7), and there are no signs of exhaustion or stability problems or fluctuations.
                                    The source is 2005, rescue of a computer wet.

It is the best source I've ever had!
                                    I've actually had bad luck with Teapos.

I had an Antec Basiq 450 rated @ 450W continuous. Whenever I used this PSU with a computer I wanted to build, it never ran correctly, meanwhile a brand new PSU was fine. I ran some tests on the PSU and I found that there was excessive noise on all of the rails. I could not see the tops of the filter caps because they were covered so I pushed on them with my finger and I I felt a small bulge. The filter caps were Teapos rated 200V 820uF. I decided to test them by hooking them up to a rectifier that was hooked to wall current. The first one's ratings came to being 344uF @ 117V and the other one was wide open...

This PSU was purchased in 2011 so I'm very surprised that it's gone bad so quickly. The PSU is still on the shelf, not doing much. I will fix it when I need it or have time, I will probably recap the entire thing as well.
                                    Popcorn.

Comment

Originally posted by jazzie366 View Post
                                      I'm not sure of the brand, but if I'm not mistaken they're Nippons?
                                      Nippon Chemicon KZJ's

Comment

Anyone else take apart a dead XBox 1 to find the design flaw that causes a cap to leak on basically every single one of them, destroying the board in the process?

My spouse's brother had one. It was babied and kept dust-free but there was nothing he could do about the cap.

Comment

it's not a design fault - supercaps do that.

you can just leave it out on a 1.0 - 1.5 series board.
                                          on a 1.6 board you need "something" or it wont start, so i fit a low impedence 220uf cap.

Comment

Working...
                                          X