Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heat sinks, learn from my mistake!

LG 60PA6500-UA
    If someone can learn from my screw up, maybe I can make a contribution here at BCN. I had a problem with my TV last year. I left with it on one day and it was off when I came back. It wouldn't turn back on. Troubleshooting led me to a bad main board. Replaced that, It then powered on, had sound but no picture. More troubleshooting led to replacing the logic board. I then had sound and two thirds of a picture. The cause of the one third picture problem was a ribbon terminal lifted up at the logic board, I DID NOT NOTICE THIS YET! I then thought I'd check voltage, etc, at the lower address buffer boards. Here's my major screw up. I took off what I thought was just some kind of bracket to access the boards. powered it on, checked voltages, and of course found the display degrading in a major way. I didn't know the part I thought was a bracket that I took off was in fact a heat sink put there to keep the panel ICs in the ribbon connectors cooled. As most of you know this totaled the set.
    As a complete Greenhorn, Rookie, Newbie, and in some cases a Dumb Ass, if I can prevent someone from making the same screw up I did, I'll feel I've helped in some way.
    There was some good news though. I thought I only had a year warranty, the problem happened a couple of months passed that one year. I looked at my paperwork again later and seen the panel itself had a two year warranty. I followed Dr Tom66's advice and found a great LG certified TV repair shop, pled my case as honest as I could, and now my TV and I often stare at each other again! This did have a happy ending but I could have avoided a lot of problems had I researched better.
    (The heat sink is the thin metal strip laying on the table next to the TV in the picture.)
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Poor Flick; 03-18-2015, 09:14 PM. Reason: Cpeling airer!
    From my favoritest movie ever!:
    Cledus Snow: Can I ask you a question?
    Bo Darville: Sure, ask me what?
    Cleedus: What the Hell do we want to go to Texas for and haul beer back here? What is that?
    Bo: For the good old American life. For the money, the glory, and the fun. Mostly for the money.

Re: Heat sinks, learn from my mistake!

A few of us have learnt the hard way. easy to think it's a cover strip when indeed it's a heatsink for those lower address boards. Without it the ICs that are embedded on the ribbons burn up within secs and bye bye panel

Comment

One thing's for certain--You NEVER stop Learning!

Gawd knows how many cock-ups Ive made over the years, some easy simple fixes--some total disasters, and sure as eggs--I'll still make more in the future....
      TELEFIX

How PLASMA SCREENS WORK, X-SUS and Y-SUS what they do--
      http://www.irf.com/technical-info/appnotes/an-1088.pdf
      PLEASE DO NOT EMAIL ME PRIVATELY FOR REPAIR ADVICE. QUESTIONS BELONG ON THE FORUM!

Comment

Thank You guys and to the others for the help when I was working on it and for the pep talk now!
        Alastair E, I've never heard of a cock-up before! That's funny!
        From my favoritest movie ever!:
        Cledus Snow: Can I ask you a question?
        Bo Darville: Sure, ask me what?
        Cleedus: What the Hell do we want to go to Texas for and haul beer back here? What is that?
        Bo: For the good old American life. For the money, the glory, and the fun. Mostly for the money.

Comment

Working...
        X