Do I Have Bad Caps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do I Have Bad Caps?

Hello, I'm new to this site and have found much of the material to be very informative. I came across two threads which were particularly interesting: 'Only old boards have badcaps....Right?' and 'Intel D865GBF has bad caps'. The reason for my search is because my primary computer (I'm on my wife's now) has given up working.

Here's the story:

(apologies for the large images--I'd specify a max-size if I knew how)

Initially, I got a STOP: c000021a with winlogon, and after restarting, was given a Stop: c0000221 checksum failed on mpr.dll. At this point, I ran DFT,Memtest and both utilities reported no problems with either of my hdds or RAM. 'Last known good config' did nothing, though I was able to get into safe mode.

I expanded the mpr.dll file from the XP setup disk and checked the event viewer. Nothing out of the ordinary as far as errors, but the most recent events posted were dated 2038 (or some outrageous date). I don't recall having changed the Year in Date and time properties to "12006", but that's what it had stored.

After rebooting again and still running into the stop on mpr.dll, I decided it was time for a repair install. I restarted, but was given an error message about the cmos checksum failing. I shut the computer off, shut off the power supply and tested the cmos battery, which gave a reading of ~3V-- no problems there.

After putting the battery back in, flipping the psu switch and turning the PC on, it gets no video. The keyboard also seems to be nonresponsive (hitting caps doesn't toggle the led). I put one of my monitors on the onboard vga port in the event bios defaults were restored, but no luck.

I powered off the system again and upon further inspection, noticed some caps that were bulging.

I have a few reasons I'm seeking the lowest cost solution that are not particularly of self-interest (see: family). I saw Intel offers a 3-year warranty on their boards, though I believe I'm just outside that window.

My question: Are these caps causing the problem? I know it can't be said for sure, but what do you think?

I appreciate any input offered.

TIA
    Attached Files

Re: Do I Have Bad Caps?

yup those HN(M) are bad.
    try outside warranty replacement with intel they are aware of this problem. you will have to be pushy though.

dont bother any more troubleshooting until the board or those caps are replaced
    capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

Thanks for the advice.

I was a little wary of continuing any troubleshooting as I've seen some of the terrifying images from exploded caps here, ie This is Why You NEVER Ignore Bad Capacitors!

I'll see what Intel can do and post a follow-up.

Comment

Same Nichicon caps here --> https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2866
        My SAMXON Capacitors Database HERE!!

X-CON is a new brand for SAMXON's Polymer Capacitors.

Comment

Classic case of bad caps. Shoot me a PM if you want it recapped.
          <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
          Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
          http://folding.stanford.edu/
          Team : 49813
          Join in!!
          Team Stats

Comment

Big Pope: Yep, we've got the same caps. Our boards look very similar as well--the d865 series.

Topcat: I appreciate the offer. I will definitely take you up on it if Intel shafts me, as I don't trust my soldering experience to something so important.

I'm trying to get through to Intel by email and will give them a few more days for a non-automated response.

Comment

Working...
            X