VIA P4PA-UL Bad Caps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VIA P4PA-UL Bad Caps

Hey folks, I bought the subject mentioned mobo about a year and a half ago. It was fine for a while, but then it started rebooting itself. I thought it may be a voltage issue so I turned the voltage down. But it didn't make any difference.

Then about two months ago it wouldn't do a proper restart. Sometimes it wouldn't restart at all, other time it would start the process at post but then it would just sit there spinning the hard-drive, at which point i'd have to hit my reset switch to boot it properly.

Then just last month I looked at my mobo and discovered two bulged and leaking capacitors right next to the CPU. So I imediately dismantled my machine and i've been searching for new/better capacitors to replace them with ever since, believe me, around here they're hard to find.

Anyway, I was just wondering if the caps on my board have been blacklisted. They are manufactured by a company called GSC, the whole mobo uses this companies caps.

GSC is a very commonly known crappy cap! MANY companies used them, and I'm sure that now they wish they didn't. If you plan to recap your board, replace all caps 680uF and up.
    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
    Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
    http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Team : 49813
    Join in!!
    Team Stats

Comment

Yeah, the two that went were 3300uF. I'm just gonna bye a new board though, since the P4PA is a pretty old board now. I'll hang onto it though for a future project or something.

I just wanted to know if GSC was blacklisted. Thanks for the help.

Comment

Re: VIA P4PA-UL Bad Caps

Me too
        Not only it's full of bad caps (GSC)

Someone tried to replace some of them with totally unsuitable caps (1500uF/16V -> 1000uF/10V on 12V, 3300uF/6.3V -> 1000uF/10V...)

Someone also scratched the PCB, breaking 3 traces

And even inserted memory backwards, destroying this diode

After fixing the traces and replacing the diode and caps, it works. Sometimes - depending on CPU heatsink movement. There's probably a bad solder joint under the CPU socket (SMD)...
        Attached Files

Comment

Working...
        X