Help with LG DVD player recap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with LG DVD player recap

Hello everyone need some help with an LG DVD player.Bought it last year and the caps in the primary power supply area have not bulged but capacitance is definitely not in spec, the ones in the decoder board are all bulged.

The power supply board has a mix of Jicon and ZHN caps?

I was thinking of replacing the caps with IC (illinois capacitor) or Vishay caps not willing to spend much but mostly as a project to practice recapping.

I can use general purpose caps in the power supply? and low esr/low impedance in the decoder board?

Thanks for your help
    Yes i love Nichicon MUSE Audio Capacitors...they would look awesome all over any motherboard

Re: Help with LG DVD player recap

Originally posted by coreAngel View Post
    Hello everyone need some help with an LG DVD player.Bought it last year and the caps in the primary power supply area have not bulged but capacitance is definitely not in spec, the ones in the decoder board are all bulged.

The power supply board has a mix of Jicon and ZHN caps?
    Garbage! As Shango066 would say, chineezium caps... Amazing you got a whole year out of it, those are junk/leaky/out of spec within 6 months.

I was thinking of replacing the caps with IC (illinois capacitor) or Vishay caps not willing to spend much but mostly as a project to practice recapping.

I can use general purpose caps in the power supply? and low esr/low impedance in the decoder board?

Thanks for your help
    Nichicon VZ, CS, PW, PS, HE or Panasonic FC, FR, NHG for the bulk cap after the line rectifier. Not all of those series are available in 200V.

For other power supply caps: Nichicon PW or HE, or Panasonic FC or FR.

ASSuming the decoder is thru hole, try Chemicon KYB for smaller can sizes in addition to PW, HE, FC, FR. Any nonpolar electros can be replaced with Nichicon EP. Panasonic has equivalents, but I use so few nonpolars that I've never needed to look them up.

The only IC caps which are true-to-heritage are the large can, screw terminal ones. If you look at any of their small electros, you'll see the "circle-R" trademark thing just beside the IC logo. Someone else makes those for IC; they aren't the Illinois Capacitor of the 80's and 90's. From my research, they're overpriced at best, dubious at worst in high temp cramped electronics. Not a fan of Vishay electros- too much under the "umbrella" if will...
    "pokemon go... to hell!"

EOL it...
    Originally posted by shango066
    All style and no substance.
    Originally posted by smashstuff30
    guilty,guilty,guilty,guilty!
    guilty of being cheap-made!

Comment

Originally posted by kaboom View Post
      Garbage! As Shango066 would say, chineezium caps... Amazing you got a whole year out of it, those are junk/leaky/out of spec within 6 months.

Nichicon VZ, CS, PW, PS, HE or Panasonic FC, FR, NHG for the bulk cap after the line rectifier. Not all of those series are available in 200V.

For other power supply caps: Nichicon PW or HE, or Panasonic FC or FR.

ASSuming the decoder is thru hole, try Chemicon KYB for smaller can sizes in addition to PW, HE, FC, FR. Any nonpolar electros can be replaced with Nichicon EP. Panasonic has equivalents, but I use so few nonpolars that I've never needed to look them up.

The only IC caps which are true-to-heritage are the large can, screw terminal ones. If you look at any of their small electros, you'll see the "circle-R" trademark thing just beside the IC logo. Someone else makes those for IC; they aren't the Illinois Capacitor of the 80's and 90's. From my research, they're overpriced at best, dubious at worst in high temp cramped electronics. Not a fan of Vishay electros- too much under the "umbrella" if will...
      Thanks for the response

I spent about 19 dollars on this unit, and even though its under warranty cause the caps look ok but the player has problems, it costs almost as much as the unit to send it and get a "refurbished" one back

I asked about IC cause they are cheap i mean like less than 10-15 cents a piece, there are Lelon (Lecraps as i call them) and the are like one to 3 cents a piece... the ones i might prob go with is Kemet or United Chemicon, the pannys and nichicons are expensive over a dollar each for some of them.But i didnt really want to spend too much as i just plan to use it for practice on replacing caps.

I haven't heard anything bad about Vishay, i dont know how they are quality wise.
      Yes i love Nichicon MUSE Audio Capacitors...they would look awesome all over any motherboard

Comment

Vishay ceramics and MLCCs are OK, I just never use the 'lytics...

If this is just for practice/experience and you're not interested in the repair lasting 10-15 years, you can even "substitute" general purpose caps for everything, if they're excellent quality.

Relatively speaking, I've put Nichicon VRs in similar power supplies when waiting for "correct" replacements to arrive. Yes, VRs are even better than some of the junk I've seen. Samsung VCRs used similar trash capacitors- I was usually able to bring up the power supply even with half the output section recapped with Nichicon VRs.

The rest of said VCRs were another story. Not just dirty mode switches, but they had a run of bad micros where the bonding wires broke inside the IC- made for strange issues. Every one of those got junked- they'd be OK anywhere from a week to a month of evening use, but just when you thought it was safe to give back, the micro would run the loading motor to the mechanical limit and jam everything. Was not the mode switch, but deck/servo control ckts inside that big IC. The inputs from the mode switch were ignored. Not bad soldering either- those things were absolute pigs.

Fun times, but I digress...
        "pokemon go... to hell!"

EOL it...
        Originally posted by shango066
        All style and no substance.
        Originally posted by smashstuff30
        guilty,guilty,guilty,guilty!
        guilty of being cheap-made!

Comment

Vishay ceramics and MLCCs are OK, I just never use the 'lytics...

If this is just for practice/experience and you're not interested in the repair lasting 10-15 years, you can even "substitute" general purpose caps for everything, if they're excellent quality.

Relatively speaking, I've put Nichicon VRs in similar power supplies when waiting for "correct" replacements to arrive. Yes, VRs are even better than some of the junk I've seen. Samsung VCRs used similar trash capacitors- I was usually able to bring up the power supply even with half the output section recapped with Nichicon VRs.

The rest of said VCRs were another story. Not just dirty mode switches, but they had a run of bad micros where the bonding wires broke inside the IC- made for strange issues. Every one of those got junked- they'd be OK anywhere from a week to a month of evening use, but just when you thought it was safe to give back, the micro would run the loading motor to the mechanical limit and jam everything. Was not the mode switch, but deck/servo control ckts inside that big IC. The inputs from the mode switch were ignored. Not bad soldering either- those things were absolute pigs.

Fun times, but I digress...

Most of the DVD players i have one is LG like i asked here, the other one is Sony with Taicon caps, all are in spec (after 5 years im surprised), the last one is Sanyo (made by Funai Corp) All Lelon c(r)aps ...

So ill mix some Kemet, Nichicon's whatever is at a reasonable price, ill post here what i got.

Even one of my TV Digital Analog Decoders, is using get this: Daewoo capacitors.... it was in spec, Daewoo?? wow, and Toshin Kogyo parts..

The best VCR i had that lasted 20 years from 1992 to 2012 was a (Radio Shack) Realistic VCR (assembled in taiwan) all had NCC,Sanyo,Nichicon parts.

Fun times are the best,

The worst thing i have dealt with was a jWin Radio i purchased for my grandmother, after 12 years the audio quality was poor, so i opened it, good lord i have never seen so many odd name c(r)aps in my life all leaking and eating through the board.
          Names, XEN, FCARP, Benqt, Jkoe, Chengli, i dumped it after popping all the caps lol.

Comment

you need low esr caps or they will overheat - just saying.

Comment

Lelon is junk. Maybe higher end, well marketed junk, but junk.

Your time is worth more than the cost of whatever caps you use, so use good caps - PW and HE from Nichicon, LXZ and KZE from UCC, etc..
              PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
              To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

Part it out, it's not worth fixing.

Comment

^Agreed, plain old DVD players are a dime a dozen in thrift stores. for $20, if it's nothing special (not blu-ray, HD-DVD, etc.) you legitimately were ripped off. Hell I scored an LG "smart" blu-ray player for $20 not too long ago... certainly loads faster than my ancient Sony unit (which was an early blu-ray model, slow as dog shit). Even if it has a VCR combined (minus one exception), those too are easy to come by, at least around here.

Now if it was a DVD player/S-VHS combo unit (extremely rare), then it would be worth it; I did actually find one once and the PSU inside needed recapped badly... so I did go through the trouble.

Fix things that are actually worth fixing. Time is too valuable to bother with things that are easily and cheaply replaced, unless you have a very specific reason to go there (learning, etc.).
                  sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
                    ^Agreed, plain old DVD players are a dime a dozen in thrift stores. for $20, if it's nothing special (not blu-ray, HD-DVD, etc.) you legitimately were ripped off. Hell I scored an LG "smart" blu-ray player for $20 not too long ago... certainly loads faster than my ancient Sony unit (which was an early blu-ray model, slow as dog shit). Even if it has a VCR combined (minus one exception), those too are easy to come by, at least around here.

Now if it was a DVD player/S-VHS combo unit (extremely rare), then it would be worth it; I did actually find one once and the PSU inside needed recapped badly... so I did go through the trouble.

Fix things that are actually worth fixing. Time is too valuable to bother with things that are easily and cheaply replaced, unless you have a very specific reason to go there (learning, etc.).
                    Well its like i've mentioned before, its more of learning with soldering and de-soldering caps than anything, not really interested in the LG DVD player, the Sony one is ok. The Sanyo was like 10-11 bucks brand new and has play from USB thing, and still works, the worst is the LG one.
                    Last edited by coreAngel; 06-16-2018, 08:35 PM.

Comment

These are the caps i've selected to use as replacements

Power Supply Board

General Purpose Caps

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/667-ECA-2EM220
                      https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/80-ESK108M016AH2AA
                      https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/710-860020374012
                      https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/710-860240672002

Main Board

Low Impedance Caps

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/647-UPS1C101MED
                      https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/647-UPJ1C470MDD
                      https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/647-UPJ1C221MPD
                      https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/647-UPW1C100MDD1TD

Any suggestions? Thanks

Comment

Any suggestions?

Comment

Can a mod close this post since its gone inactive

Comment

Sometimes when I get something to repair, I consider the cost of my valuable time, electricity bill, etc and if it isn't worth it as my service charge might very well be more than the cost of a new unit, I return it to the Customer-No Charge. Of course I explain this to them and let them leave with their junk as I have enough junk of my own.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew F. Ali View Post
                              Sometimes when I get something to repair, I consider the cost of my valuable time, electricity bill, etc and if it isn't worth it as my service charge might very well be more than the cost of a new unit, I return it to the Customer-No Charge. Of course I explain this to them and let them leave with their junk as I have enough junk of my own.
                              Oh yes im well aware of the time, and it may be junk, but im using it really as soldering practice and repairing stuff, plus it gives me an excuse to buy caps.

Comment

The list of low-impedance caps looks good to me. You have Nichicon PS, PJ, and PW. Those are all fine for PSU use.

As for the general-purpose caps list, I suggest staying away from Kemet and Wurth electrolytic capacitors. I don't know if they are bad (well, in all honesty, they probably are still much better than no-name Chinese garbage craps), but I don't know how "good" they are either... or particularly how long they would last.

Like you, I often find myself looking for the cheapest caps to buy on Mouser and Digikey when repairing something "not-really-worth-the-time-but-fun". What I've found, though, is that there is almost no reason to ever buy GP caps, because some entry-level low-ESR caps can be just as cheap, if not cheaper than GP caps.

That said, here is a list of low-ESR caps I regularly use in PSUs:
                                Panasonic: FC, FK, FR, FM, FS
                                Rubycon: YXA, YXJ, YXG, ZL, ZLH
                                Nichicon: PS, PJ, PM, PW, PA, PV, and HE
                                Chemicon: KMY, KY, KYB, LXV, LXY, LXZ

In particular, I find that Rubycon YXJ and ZLH, as well as Nichicon PS, PJ, PM, and PW are usually the cheapest caps to buy.

But if you don't mind GP caps, there's always these:
                                Panasonic: M, EB, EC(A)
                                Rubycon: AX, PX
                                Nichicon: VR, VZ, VY
                                Chemicon: KMG, KMQ, KMY

In the end, though, I don't really think it's worth going ultra-cheap and getting GP caps where you should have low-ESR ones. The difference, for something like your DVD player might be $1-3 at most. To me, that's not too much of a difference when you consider that quality caps will outlast the useful life of the device (and when they do, you can pull them out and re-use them in something else).
                                Last edited by momaka; 06-21-2018, 11:00 AM.

Comment

Oh yes im well aware of the time, and it may be junk, but im using it really as soldering practice and repairing stuff, plus it gives me an excuse to buy caps.
                                  If you want soldering practice and really want to learn about how different parts/components work and there use/purpose in electronics you could probably get some building projects. This way once you understand the basic principles troubleshooting would be easier.

Comment

ASSuming the decoder is thru hole...
                                    Well, even if it isn't, you can always bend through-hole caps to the side and solder their leads in place of where the SMD caps had theirs.
                                    FWIW, SMD caps are almost always overpriced relative to their through-hole counter parts, and to add injury to the insult, they typically have lower endurance ratings too.

Thus, I never buy SMD caps. However, I do re-use them - that is, if I can take them off without destroying them. Most recent and easiest method I've developed for that is: screwdriver + hammer
                                    Works without damage almost every time. And if it's a lead-free mobo, put it in the freezer and the solder is even easier to break.

Relatively speaking, I've put Nichicon VRs in similar power supplies when waiting for "correct" replacements to arrive. Yes, VRs are even better than some of the junk I've seen.
                                    No surprise there at all. After all, many late (and not-so-late) -era Sony CRT monitors and TVs were full of these, along with Rubycon YK. Even in the hottest sections of the CRT (the CRT neck board), these would still hold up fine for at least 10 years without issues. Same goes with Panasonic CRTs filled with their own Panasonic GP (M?) caps.

And like you, I've done temporary recaps of SMPSes with those GP caps as well, and they held up fine for whatever duration I needed them to work without a hitch.

On that note... CoreAngel, if you see any busted Sony, Mitsubishi, or Panasonic CRT TVs on the side of the road, see if they still have their boards inside them. You'd get a ton of useful parts from them, including quality GP caps. Sure they may be old and possibly getting near their end of "estimated" service life, but I'm still willing to bet down a $20 they are better than Chinese/Taiwanese no-name garbage caps (and in some cases, even better than the known-garbage caps, like CapXon, for example).

The rest of said VCRs were another story. Not just dirty mode switches, but they had a run of bad micros where the bonding wires broke inside the IC- made for strange issues. Every one of those got junked- they'd be OK anywhere from a week to a month of evening use, but just when you thought it was safe to give back, the micro would run the loading motor to the mechanical limit and jam everything. Was not the mode switch, but deck/servo control ckts inside that big IC. The inputs from the mode switch were ignored.
                                    LOL!
                                    Last edited by momaka; 06-21-2018, 11:24 AM.

Comment

file a claim for unfit for purpose .

Comment

Working...
                                      X