Snap On Verus Pro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Snap On Verus Pro

OK something out of the box... Diagnostic scanner for cars that runs Windows XP. My tool guy got it on trade for a newer unit... Originally I was going to offer him something, it has a 4 channel lab scope built in.. It doesn't recognize the scope module (plugs into the rear of the unit), can also be run externally via USB cable.. It also has a wireless scan module ( you plug this into the cars OBDII port), it doesn't see that either...

The software crashed on him so he gave it to me to tinker with.. There is a recovery partition in it and I re imaged the unit.. Boots fine but doesn't see anything plugged into it...

I have plugged the scope and the scan module into a computer running windows, it does recognize both units.. The scan module must be synced via an USB cable once to become wireless...

Here is what I know...It has 2 USB ports, one is broken, see pics... Both ports have the 5V feed and ground on the outside terminals... Between pins 2 and 3 I get on port "A" 1.380 volts, port "B" .246 volts... Port "A" from ground to pin 2 .548V Pin 3 .299V Port "B" Pin From ground to pin 2 1.380V and Pin 3 0V..

Something is definitely up with the USB, any recommendations how to proceed ?
    Attached Files

Re: Snap On Verus Pro

check if the four pins of the broken USB port are shorted together or to ground.

Comment

Originally posted by caspian View Post
      check if the four pins of the broken USB port are shorted together or to ground.
      Pins looked OK Might try to find the USB part and change that for a start...Looked fine with a 30X loupe

Comment

measure resistance to Ground on each pin.

Comment

measure resistance to Ground on each pin.
          Over 100K Ω each....

Comment

I hope this board gets fixed by USB connector replacement. If not so, a number of tests should be done. Since there is no schematics available, fixing it may get really difficult and time consuming. After this replacement, test a USB flash drive on these ports.
            When you connect the scope or the scan module to another computer, does it show an unknown device or it does no reaction to this connection?
            Last edited by caspian; 04-01-2018, 08:54 AM.

Comment

Other computers see the connections, unknown device, no drivers loaded.. They seem to have some function... I plugged a USB mouse in the Verus, no response...

Comment

Any common USB chips to look for ?

Comment

Is this a USB chip... Traced several pins from the USB to here... Too many to be coincidence...
                  Attached Files

Comment

This IC seems to be an RS232 controller. what is the model of the IC? the datasheet says what it is for.
                    Check where pin 2 and 3 of the USB connector are connected to.
                    Last edited by caspian; 04-02-2018, 04:01 AM.

Comment

This IC seems to be an RS232 controller. what is the model of the IC? the datasheet says what it is for.
                      Check where pin 2 and 3 of the USB connector are connected to.
                      F81216D/DG https://cdn.badcaps-static.com/pdfs/...d3b22de4db.pdf

Comment

U6 does not seem to be a USB controller. Now check U7 and find its model. It can not be read from the photos.

Comment

U6 does not seem to be a USB controller. Now check U7 and find its model. It can not be read from the photos.
                          U7 alc886 Realtek audio chip.... Guess I'll keep looking...LOL

Comment

it is also possible that the big green chip controls the USB itself.

Comment

Working...
                            X