Some outlets for replacement capacitors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some outlets for replacement capacitors

One of the many questions that I get asked and even pop up in here is where to get replacement caps.... Your local Radio Shack is NOT a good outlet, as they seem to carry strange values of caps, and for some reason, their caps are HUGE in side and pricetag... Most of the time, they don't even have enough in stock to complete the job. My goal isn't to bash the Shack, as I buy all kinds of other good and useless trinkets there...

I just thought I'd post a few places I've located quality replacement caps:

My personal favorite is Digikey Electronics (http://www.digikey.com/)
    They primarily sell in bulk, and can be expensive for small quantities. However, their service and shipping speed is very good! If you're looking for enough caps for just one board, they're very expensive... If you need enough for one or two boards, email me with your needs.

Another one I've HEARD good things about is Mouser Electronics (http://www.mouser.com/)
    I have never ordered from them, but looking through their site, they have a good selection, and their prices are OK...

If anyone else has any others to post, please share with the rest of us!
    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
    Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
    http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Team : 49813
    Join in!!
    Team Stats

I'll add Future Electronics.

Digikey carries Panasonic, while Mouser carries Nichicon....if that makes a difference.... :|

In the past, I've ordered components from all three. No complaints yet.
    "Its all about the boom....."

Guns kill people like spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled drinking.

"Fear accompanies the possibility of death.....calm shepherds its certainty"

Originally posted by Topcat
    AWD is just training wheels for RWD.

Comment

digikey part numbers

1500@6.3=p10202-nd
      1200@10=p10226-nd
      2200@6.3=p10204-nd
      4700@10=p10236-nd
      hint get a groupbuy going and save some money!
      these are what i use most here
      these are panasonic fc low esr.
      digikey 1-800-344-4539

Comment

I've used both Panasonic and Nichicon capacitors, and never had any problems with either brand. I have a good local supplier for Nichicon, so I use them frequently.

One thing I need that I can't seem to find is good quality low profile (low ESR) caps. I need some 1500uF 6.3v and some 2200uF 6.3v caps with dimensions no bigger than 10mm diameter, and 12-14mm height.

I've got a shuttle SFX motherboard I'm recapping, and this little toaster is so cramped I can't use regular height caps installed at an angle... I must find exact replacements. If anyone has or knows of an outlet for these, let me know PLEASE!!
        <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
        Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
        http://folding.stanford.edu/
        Team : 49813
        Join in!!
        Team Stats

Comment

In the UK I can recommend Farnell (www.farnell.co.uk) and RS components (rswww.com). Both will sell small quantities of components and carry a large selection of stock. They tend to be a little more expensive than some suppliers but you can't complain - they can usually deliver next day if you order before 4pm !

Comment

Mouser seems a lot cheaper then Digi-Key, but I still can't find all the types I need there.

In order to replace all the caps on 5 8K7A's and 3 8RDA+'s, I would need all these:

Prices are for 1, 10, 100 units.

12x 10v 2200uf 10mm 647-UHE1A222MPD .71 .56 .42
            18x 6.3v 3300uf 10mm
            70x 6.3v 2200uf 10mm 647-UHE0J222MPD .55 .44 .33
            60x 6.3v 1500uf 10mm 647-UPW0J152MPH .78 .60 .42
            3x 6.3v 1500uf 8mm
            39x 6.3v 1000uf 8mm 647-UHE0J102MPD .23 .18 .14

I could not find the 6.3v 3300uf in the 10mm size. I think I can substitute a 10mm 6.3v 1500uf where the board currently has that 8mm one though.

Comment

Could someone help me identify the exact capacitor I need to purchase from digikey or mouser?

1200uf 6.3v 105c 10mm
              1000uf 6.3v 105c 8mm

It seems knowing this information is not enough as there are a bunch of other parameters that I am not familiar with in the search filters.

Comment

I think anything on or (not 420 or any other page) from mouser are good for motherboards. While you can measure the value of the ESR, I have only really seen caps for sale that are normal (high?) ESR or Low ESR, so I just assume any Low means Low enough.

For the 1200uF you can get 647-UPW0J122MPH6. 647-UHE0J122MPD would work too I think, its 8mm wide though, it would still fit.

The 1000uF ones are 647-UHE0J102MPD, thats what I got.

Comment

Is it important that they are low esr, i.e if I get non-low esr caps will they not work?

Comment

yeah mouser aint bad, i got the ultra low impedance nichicon capacitors and they worked great, got 5x2700uf 10v and 5x3900uf 10v caps price after shiping ended up at like 18$

Comment

I notice that the UHE series caps from Mouser are considerably cheaper than the UPW series.

Apart from the price, is there any real difference between the two that accounts for this and should it influence my choice in choosing a replacement cap?

Neo.

Comment

Here is another source:
                        http://www.computekinc.us/prod01.htm
                        Minimum lot size is 20 pieces, but the prices are good. They also ship internationally.

Comment

Radar has nichicon...

http://www.radarinc.com/products_brand.html#N
                          Ya'll think us folk from the country's real funny-like, dontcha?

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of BADCAPS.NET or any of their affiliates.

Comment

Working...
                          X