GX520 same board as GX620?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GX520 same board as GX620?

I have a Dell GX520 USFF that I want to re-cap. Can I just buy the GX620 USFF kit? I could not find any information on the Boards used. I can post the boards model# tonight if that might help.

Thanks,

Eric

Re: GX520 same board as GX620?

make a list of the caps in it or post a foto.

Comment

I took a close look, and can't seem to find any caps that are bulging or leaking... This may not be a cap issue after all. I tested the PS, but it tests good. The thing just shuts down randomly. Sometimes it will stay on for hours, even days. But other times it won't even make it to the Windows logon screen before shutting down.

Here is the best pic i could get. Could it still be a cap issue?

BTW, It looks like they were all Rubycon caps with exception from 6 caps located near the socket and 1 next to dimm2...
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by torpex505 View Post
        I took a close look, and can't seem to find any caps that are bulging or leaking... This may not be a cap issue after all. I tested the PS, but it tests good. The thing just shuts down randomly. Sometimes it will stay on for hours, even days. But other times it won't even make it to the Windows logon screen before shutting down.

Here is the best pic i could get. Could it still be a cap issue?

BTW, It looks like they were all Rubycon caps with exception from 6 caps located near the socket and 1 next to dimm2...
        GX620's will blow the little 4&5 mm caps which don't always bloat.
        Presumably the GX520 will too.
        https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=6055
        Mann-Made Global Warming.
        - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
        Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
        -
        You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
        -

Comment

I tested the PS, but it tests good. The thing just shuts down randomly.
          How did you test the power supply?
          Does the computer really shut down or does it restart (big difference here)?

Comment

I tested using a nifty little powersupply tester that I got on eBay a while back. It does not provide actual voltage, but rather a red or green led that's based on wether it's getting the voltage that it's supposed to get per wire. I probably should go in with a multimeter to verify. It shuts down and flashes an amber light on the power button. It does not restart.

Thanks

Comment

The problem with those is that they don't put enough load on the PSU to tell you if the PSU is good in a real world application.

They will tell you if a PSU is stone dead...
              But they won't tell you if a PSU will run a system.

It's not -> go/no go
              It's -> no go/maybe

-
              Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
              -
              You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
              -

Comment

What would be the best way to test then? Should I just boot the computer and test the wires one by one with a multimeter?

Comment

Check the voltages with a multimeter while the system is doing something beyond just being idle.

It's either that or scare up a slew of test loads.

-

- Dr Seuss
                  -
                  -

Comment

You have a desktop or small form factor GX520, the GX620 that like to bake caps are usually ultra small form factor - very different systems.

Is your cooling fan working correctly? Is the heatsink seated correctly?

Comment

Originally posted by PCBONEZ View Post
                      Check the voltages with a multimeter while the system is doing something beyond just being idle.

It's either that or scare up a slew of test loads.
                      Or try a different power supply altogether and see if the problem disappears. The power supply needs to be rated for at least 14A on the 12v rail, though.
                      Also check the caps in the original power supply.

Comment

I'll try with a different PS to see. And check caps in original PS as well.
                        Thanks

Comment

I have a Dell GX520 USFF that I want to re-cap. Can I just buy the GX620 USFF kit? I could not find any information on the Boards used. I can post the boards model# tonight if that might help.

Thanks,

Eric
                          Short answer is no, they are not the same.

Comment

Sorry I've been inactive for a bit. Ok, so it's a GX520 SFF, not USFF... But yeah, deffinatly not teh same board.

What program should I run to runup the load to test the PS? Would a Dell diagnostics or memtest scan be suffecient? or is there another program that will give me the load that I would need to get a good test?

Thanks for the help,

Eric

Comment

Prime95 for cpu and furmark on the graphics while playing a dvd and doing a drive error check using hdtune. Thatll stress it out as much aa possiblr

Comment

Working...
                              X