Samsung UN65LS003 BT/Wifi issues becoming more widespread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Samsung UN65LS003 BT/Wifi issues becoming more widespread

Device: UN65LS003AF (Samsung "The Frame" TV, featuring two power inputs - one for OneConnect box, and one directly into the Chassis)

Summary of Issue: The included, Bluetooth remote had a continuously blinking red light indicating lack of pairing. Attempts at pairing would result in message "Not Available". Normal, Samsung IR remote seemed to perform all functions normally. This is how I discovered wifi was also not functioning. These problems were intermittent, occasionally connecting to the router and pairing the BT remote.

Since there's a discrete wifi/bluetooth module I figured this may be the problem. I did a continuity test on the connector between the main board and the wifi/bt module (seemed fine), so I replaced the wifi module. This initially lead to success. But lasted a few minutes before problem of pairing and wifi returned. I also noticed occasional, somewhat random restarts at this point (Though it may have been there since the start).

I replaced the main board a few days ago. Initially things went well for almost and hour - connected to wifi and paining, but issues returned again. System settings would show wifi appearing and disappearing, remote would unpair sporadically. And over the last few days the issues became more frequent. Now even the IR remote does not consistently work, the TV restarts often when accessing the internet even using LAN.

Pertinent Questions
    I have a multimeter and soldering equipment. Is it possible that I could do this without a scope?
    Is it possible that a replacement power board swop could fix this?
    Is it possible that it is related to the OneConnect power input? (I 'think' it's connected to the TV by optic fiber cable to probably just digital signals though). In the later models all the power is supplied by the OneConnect box. Not so with this model.

Unnecessary Details: Initially I was hoping this was going to be a simple board-level repair. Seller told me I'd need to replace the OneConnect box, but couldn't explain except to say "that's where the brain of the TV is". After deciding that my tv was clearly possessed by a demonic being, I recalled something about intermittent issues related to capacitors, and helpful online members on another forum suggested issues with 'voltage ripple'. That's how I got here.

Any help is desperately needed, and much appreciated.
    Thanks!
    Last edited by NizNoz; 05-10-2021, 03:01 PM.

Re: Samsung UN65LS003 BT/Wifi issues becoming more widespread

Here's a pic I took of the three components I've focused on.. wifi module bottom left, main board, center, and power board top right. Not sure if there's much that can be seen from this.. Not sure if this should concern me at this point.. but there are some fingerprints on the heatsinks that I didn't put there...
    Attached Files

Comment

are you running the latest firmware in the set? try do an update. A long while ago, samsung had major issues with a wifi software update (was corrected).

Comment

Originally posted by budwich View Post
        are you running the latest firmware in the set? try do an update. A long while ago, samsung had major issues with a wifi software update (was corrected).
        Hi. Yes, I made sure I updated to the latest firmware.

Comment

The one connect allows other connections to the "frame" (ie. hdmi). Do those work? You probably need to provide close pictures of each board for the forum to help further... this is so people can see the component and voltage labeling clearly.

Comment

As far as I can tell, all the functions of the OneConnect box seemed to work- HDMI, USB, ethernet. When I have a chance I'll take clearer pics of each board. Here's the service manual..
            Attached Files
            Last edited by NizNoz; 05-11-2021, 10:05 AM.

Comment

I would first try to get some "consistency of connection" / "system up" via a wired path first to help isolate things a bit. How is your lan connection being done... ie. direct wire back to your router or thru other equipment (switch or otherwise)? The "one connect" does seem to have its share of issues in the samsung system design... :-( Hopefully, others with experience in this setup will pipe in.

In the manual that you have posted, have you checked the voltages that were shown in the troubleshooting section? There are similar voltages identified at the wifi board (section 4-8)
              Last edited by budwich; 05-11-2021, 01:30 PM.

Comment

I haven’t actually checked the voltages that the manual mentions. I’m not confident that I know how to safely test the voltages with my multimeter while the set is powered on. Also, if I followed the algorithm it suggests I’d end up excluding the wifi/Bluetooth module as a problem, then the connector, then the main board. I’ve now replaced both of the of the boards and tested the connector up to this point...

Comment

Just another note on internet connectivity.. The LAN ethernet connection, which comes via the OneConnect box, had been pretty reliable UNTIL I started using/leaving the set on for longer. The wifi and Bluetooth on the other hand, located in the TV itself, was always inconstant and is now as poor as it was before I replaced any of the components. The service manual states that if the Wired MAC address was not showing up I should suspect the Main Board. So this would indicate an issue affecting the main board or part of the power board affecting the main board, correct? (as opposed to the OneConnect box). I'm not sure if my reasoning overly simplistic..

Comment

Close ups of the main and power board.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Attempted some readings (black lead connected to metal interior frame, red on pin. Plugged in)

During Standby (CNM803)
                      Pin 1: 3.394v
                      Pin 2: 0.0v
                      Pin 3: 12.84v
                      Pin 4: 0.016v
                      Pin 5: 12.88v
                      Pin 6: 0.018v
                      Pin 7: 12.88v
                      Pin 8: 0.018v
                      Pin 9: 12.88v
                      Pin 10: 0.019v
                      Pin 11: 0.00v
                      Pin 12: 0.018v
                      Pin 13: 12.90v
                      Pin 14: 0.018v
                      Pin 15: 12.88v
                      Pin 16: 0.002v
                      Pin 17: 12.86v

Comment

you probably also need to same "chart" with the set turned on. Further you need to provide the corresponding labels for each pin. At first glance, pin 1 is some sort of error-count which appears to be set (ie. high voltage... but just a guess). The rest look normal... but again at standby, usually nothing is really being powered.

further, page 42 provides a check of the wifi module... have you gone thru that check? You also indicate that your remote does not currently work... right? Do you see the bluetooth pairing signal on other devices (ie. tablet) to indicate that the set is at least sending out a proper pairing signal?
                        Last edited by budwich; 05-12-2021, 06:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by NizNoz View Post
                          Just another note on internet connectivity.. The LAN ethernet connection, which comes via the OneConnect box, had been pretty reliable UNTIL I started using/leaving the set on for longer. The wifi and Bluetooth on the other hand, located in the TV itself, was always inconstant and is now as poor as it was before I replaced any of the components. The service manual states that if the Wired MAC address was not showing up I should suspect the Main Board. So this would indicate an issue affecting the main board or part of the power board affecting the main board, correct? (as opposed to the OneConnect box). I'm not sure if my reasoning overly simplistic..
                          so you currently have two main boards (original and "new"), both reacting the same way in terms of wired and wireless connectivity based on the SM test section (ie. loss of mac address)????

Comment

Originally posted by budwich View Post
                            so you currently have two main boards (original and "new"), both reacting the same way in terms of wired and wireless connectivity based on the SM test section (ie. loss of mac address)????
                            Yup. Pretty much. Two BT/Wifi modules and two main boards. Now pretty much doing the same thing.
                            Here’s the results of the wifi/module voltages. Managed to get it done before work.. Seems there are several issues: It seems multiple pins have issues (that is, if I did the testing right and I’m reading the manual correctly).
                            Re the Bluetooth pairing signal.. I'll check, but I have confirmed that my Bluetooth remote works fine - went to a BestBuy and was allowed to messed around with their tv sets.
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by NizNoz; 05-12-2021, 03:07 PM. Reason: Forgot something

Comment

everything looks somewhat OK. I think the reason for any "differences" is that on the "signal based pins", you need to be reading AC voltage and not DC voltage. Depending on the signalling "style", your meter should pickup something. Try it again with that technique. Also, you need to check what the status of the interface is... ie. wifi on / active, bluetooth on /active as those both appear to be off. Not sure where that setting is, but likely in some setup menu.

Can you please confirm what condition that you are seeing as laid out in the "page 42" network checks.

edit: voltages that appears to be missing is pin 1 (btnreset) should have a VDC voltage on it and not 0 along with pin 9 (wifi on).
                              Last edited by budwich; 05-12-2021, 03:40 PM.

Comment

Will do. I didn't think there would be AC voltages, should've checked. Thanks for your interest and your time by the way budwich. You can't imagine how much I appreciate a set of experienced eyes.

Mind if I ask a question regarding safety and testing? I'm currently clamping my black multimeter lead to a part of the metal casing inside the chassis, along with an anti-static bracelet that attaches to my wrist. For the red lead I'm using a needle-nose tester and trying my best to avoid shorting anything while testing the various pins. The AC plug is connected via an extension cord directly to mains. Is there anything else I need to be watching out for?

Comment

sorry, I can't really comment on much in the safety domain. You need to be careful around the "hot side" on the power board where the AC is coming in along with any "booster" circuits associated with backlights. The rest of the areas are likely to be more of a "circuit / component killer" (ie. shorting out something to ground, to another pin, etc). However, most of what / where you are looking should not be a problem (ie. low voltage / current).
                                  In general, where you can't readily / easily make a test probe contact at a point, follow the circuit to a more convenient area or power down and solder in a insulated wire to allow better access.

Further, some of the network "stati" may help... like what does your router see in terms of connected network devices when the set is connected. Details like that might help.

Comment

So I got a chance to do some testing:
                                    It was very frustrating because for the entire hour plus I tested the TV with power on, there was only two periods of time where the remote lost its pairing (and red light started flashing). The wifi signal was reported by my router software as 60% (details in screenshot) with no loss during the entire time. So I can only show what happened to the voltages at the wifi/BT module during a loss of BT, not wifi at this point. During the time Bluetooth was working, the TV gave wired and wireless MAC addresses, a Bluetooth address (disappeared when BT function was lost). The smart control Bluetooth MAC address remained the same throughout.
                                    What seemed to change was pin 6: “BT D+USB”. I have no clue what this means.

When put into standby mode, pin 5 voltage dropped to 0.182v, and pin 6 dropped to 0.931v as expected. On turning back on, these values stayed the same, with a resultant red flashing/non-pairing light on remote. At this point the Bluetooth address once again disappeared.

Is it odd that pins 11&12 show low voltages (with little change on turning off) even though wifi is running? Manual says they should both be 2.5v when on.

AC voltage over the same pins seemed to be reasonably constant, around 0.025v

I also added a close up of the pins.
                                    Attached Files
                                    Last edited by NizNoz; 05-14-2021, 04:36 AM.

Comment

trying to make sense of some of the measurements. First question, what changed between your last post and a previous post which showed "wifi phyiscal on" set and not set in the previous one?

Next, are you using 5g wifi or 2.4g? have you tried either? Have you looked at the channel "spectrum" to see what channels are showing up in your "area" to see if there is a "conflict". Of course, this has nothing to do with the ethernet connection (wired) but just trying understand what is happening in one domain at a time especially since you indicate now that the wifi stated up.

Comment

The previous voltage table was prior to turning on wireless. Both voltages during standby and with TV on.
                                        Previously, when wifi wasn’t working, the TV would show no wireless MAC address. Now wifi is working and shows a MAC address. I think I remember it connecting to 2.4ghz channel though.

Comment

Working...
                                        X