Blendtec smoother 13 repair.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Blendtec smoother 13 repair.

I would give the motor a real good cleaning like describe earlier and see what happens and replace the brush’s
    Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 05-09-2019, 07:22 PM.
    9 PC LCD Monitor
    6 LCD Flat Screen TV
    30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
    10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
    6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
    1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
    25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
    6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
    1 Dell Mother Board
    15 Computer Power Supply
    1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
    2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
    All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

Hi! I have an ICB3 Blendtec smoother and I have been having a similar issue. Lots of sparks come from the armature followed by the "overload" error on the display. I have taken unit apart, cleaned the armature with 400 grit sandpaper using a drill to rotate, and am still having the same issue. The brushes are new as well.

Any idea as to what else could cause this to spark excessively and give the "overload" error?

Attached is a photo of the commutator now that it is cleaned. There is one area that the gap is slightly larger, I'm wondering if this could be part of the problem? Any thoughts?

Thanks!
      Attached Files
      Last edited by RobbyBrown; 05-13-2019, 04:48 PM.

Comment

The blender will run approximately 5-10 seconds before the "overload" error.
        Last edited by RobbyBrown; 05-13-2019, 04:51 PM.

Comment

New brushes, or if you moved/flipped the old ones, you have to break them in and seat them properly.
          Partial contact will make more arcs and can damage new brushes or the commutator copper because you have high-currents flowing on small contact area. Look really hard to see if the brushes are fully seating the commutator copper - not sitting crooked, misaligned.

Break-in usually looks like running the motor at lower speeds for 15 minutes, with a variac or series light-bulb. With no-load, it should only use a few amps at most. This is just to get the brushes worn in enough to mate with the commutator.

You could look for a local electric motor repair shop and put the armature on their "growler".
          This is to check for any short-circuits on armature windings or between the commutator leafs. An ohmmeter might be able to find shorts too.

These Blendtec motors look very small for their 13A rating. chinese motors are worked very hard and don't last due to heat or cheapness.

The one copper leaf that is arced up, is suspicious - does the opposite side have the same missing copper? It might be a shorted winding there.

There is a small chance the control electronics is wrongly reading high current and nothing is wrong with the motor.

Comment

To me the armature look bad because one of the space is very wide which will make it ark a lot more than rest of the armature would
            Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 05-14-2019, 09:03 AM.
            9 PC LCD Monitor
            6 LCD Flat Screen TV
            30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
            10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
            6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
            1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
            25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
            6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
            1 Dell Mother Board
            15 Computer Power Supply
            1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
            2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
            All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

I can't seem to get past "go".

How does one take the brushes and the housings they are in out of the plastic bracket. I attempted to pull them out with pliers while inserting a screw driver between the plastic and top of the housing, which has a protrusion on that I think catches the bracket, but this has not worked. So I attempted to take the fan off first, but I cannot get the nut holding it off. I tried using a 3/8" flathead screwdriver to hold the commutator still to no avail.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Darren

Comment

Thank you, redwire. I am going to take the armature to an electrical shop and have the growler test performed. I'm afraid that the copper leaf on the commutator may be the issue. The opposite side is not arced up, just that one spot.

Is it possible to repair the commutator? Or is it pretty well a lost cause at this point?

Comment

Originally posted by D_Harris View Post
                  I can't seem to get past "go".

How does one take the brushes and the housings they are in out of the plastic bracket. I attempted to pull them out with pliers while inserting a screw driver between the plastic and top of the housing, which has a protrusion on that I think catches the bracket, but this has not worked. So I attempted to take the fan off first, but I cannot get the nut holding it off. I tried using a 3/8" flathead screwdriver to hold the commutator still to no avail.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Darren
                  Darren,

I was able to get the nut removed using a small 12v impact driver with a socket, while holding the commutator still with a flat head screwdriver (carefully placing the screwdriver, to avoid damaging anything). The brushes were difficult to release at first, but after much wiggling with the pliers, I was able to remove them. On my unit, the square opening in the plastic molding above the brushes was filled with silicone, I removed that to aid in releasing the brush casing. Hopefully this helps a bit. Good luck!

Robby

Comment

After two weeks I finally get the nut off the commutator, but taking the fan blade out puts me no closer to getting the brush holders out.

If I get them out they will be mangled, so since no one has posted the dimensions can someone tell me what size brush & holders to get?

The commutator may be my problem going by how scratched up it is. (See pic). But I may also need the ribbon that carries data between the motor and PCB. Does anyone know the name and where to get it? (It has 15 traces).

Edit: I got one brush housing out, and "61C" is stamped on the brush.

Thanks.

Darren
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by D_Harris; 05-24-2019, 07:38 PM.

Comment

Can anyone who has changed the brushes tell me the size and where they were purchased?

Thanks.

Darren

Comment

Ok, perhaps the brushes don't need replacing anyway.

As near as I can tell the size is 30mm x 11mm x 6mm, which suggests that the brushes are not worn. (So why replace them?).

I'll concentrate on cleaning the commutator.

Darren

Comment

All I could find is one part used on a few Blentec products but no mention of the Smoother 13. Blendtec brushes 10-030-03 obsolete, replaced by 10-030-04. If you know the size and shape you can get them from Ali very cheap.

I saw the youtube video where the guy had a junk Blendtec and then cranked up the speed with a variac until it burned up and he killed it.
                          I noticed massive arcing, a ring across the entire commutator so I have to wonder if the motor is a cheap, small design. The commutator seems really small for the voltages and power.
                          I would try add capacitor across the brushes to calm down arcing. Like a 47nF 275VAC film X-cap.

When you put the brushes back in, make sure they are not flipped or mixed up, so they seat nice and flush on the commutator. I've learned to mark them with a pencil to show orientation.
                          The sandpaper rough finish on the commutator will help with break in. Some people undervolt the motor and run it for 15 minutes to seat the brushes. It probably runs on 25VDC.

Your only challenge is if there is a shorted winding on the armature.

Comment

I have repaired a few vitamix blenders. If I have the motors out, I usually replace the bearings also. IIRC the vitamix blenders take standard 608 bearings. I don't recall them being particularly hard to replace, but I do have a hydraulic press, so they could be hard to remove if really stuck.

Comment

Originally posted by redwire View Post
                              All I could find is one part used on a few Blentec products but no mention of the Smoother 13. Blendtec brushes 10-030-03 obsolete, replaced by 10-030-04. If you know the size and shape you can get them from Ali very cheap.

I saw the youtube video where the guy had a junk Blendtec and then cranked up the speed with a variac until it burned up and he killed it.
                              I noticed massive arcing, a ring across the entire commutator so I have to wonder if the motor is a cheap, small design. The commutator seems really small for the voltages and power.
                              I would try add capacitor across the brushes to calm down arcing. Like a 47nF 275VAC film X-cap.

When you put the brushes back in, make sure they are not flipped or mixed up, so they seat nice and flush on the commutator. I've learned to mark them with a pencil to show orientation.
                              The sandpaper rough finish on the commutator will help with break in. Some people undervolt the motor and run it for 15 minutes to seat the brushes. It probably runs on 25VDC.

Your only challenge is if there is a shorted winding on the armature.
                              Would that be Alibaba? I couldn't find those brushes there. Nevertheless, I picked up carbon brushes (30mm x 11mm x 6mm) via eBay. I just don't think I need them yet. The ones already in the motors seem new.

P.S: You have a pointer to instructions on how to "undervolt" one of these motors?

Thanks.

Darren

Comment

I saw carbon brushes from specialty shops on Aliexpress "carbon brushes" but you have to know the dimensions. They're a dollar.

For break-in, connect a DC power supply or AC adapter or variac for power, even 12-20VDC at 1-2A will spin a universal motor pretty good (with no load of course) or maybe jug full of water. I can't remember if this thing has a TRIAC and MCU control of speed. You would connect the power supply (only) right to the motor's terminals until the speed picks up (=brushes are well seated), it takes several minutes.

Comment

Hey,
                                  Saw your post from a few year ago about a star$s blender you fixed, I have the same one and I was wondering if you could help me out a little, as your post was very detailed and showed you knew your stuff!

Is there anyway to reprogram the blender not to show the Star$s welcome at the start and reset the counter? I know you can create new profiles online via Blenderwizard, but as it does not have a usb port i know there will be some work a head.

By no means am i trying to deceive anyone btw, I am hoping to give this to a friend once its cleaned up and sorted. However the star$s welcome screen and the 1000000 cycles looks like i stole it which i totally didnt, they basically just binned these when Star$s changed over to vitamix so i got one for free and its been in a box ever since

Any help would be amazing.

Thank you
                                  Last edited by daronofsky; 02-05-2021, 08:52 AM. Reason: ERROR

Comment

Comment

Working...
                                    X