Chrysler Car Stereo - One Dead Channel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chrysler Car Stereo - One Dead Channel

I'm currently working on a Chrysler/Infinity car stereo made by Mitsubishi. It came to me with the right front channel dead, and only half the display working. Got the display working no problem after resoldering some 40 bad joints throughout the deck, but would like a second opinion on the dead channel.

When turned on, the right front channel gives me a short chirp and then goes dead silent. The other three channels work fine. Power amp section looks to be real simple, consisting of 4 Hitachi HA1388 chips, with supporting circuitry looking to have been copied directly from the datasheet itself. When run for a while, the right front 1388 chip runs hotter than the others.

My question is, given how good the protection features on the HA1388 are, what are my chances I need to replace it? Methinks it's going into oscillation based on the chirp I get on power-up (not to mention the quality of the caps attached to that chip), but I'm not sure if I'll be able to easily get one of these 1388's to replace it.

The cap compliment is all Towa general purpose 85 degree. The replacements can be no more than 15mm high. I was thinking of using Nichicon HE to replace them, as they're the only thing I can find to replace the 4 15mm by 15mm 2200uf at 16v caps (might as well do all 4 channels while I'm in here). The HE replacements for the big caps are 18mm in diameter but I think I may be able to get them in there - alternate suggestions are welcome though. Going to do the two resistors on the dead channel as well, just in case.
    Last edited by Oklahoma Wolf; 07-09-2006, 10:42 AM.

Re: Chrysler Car Stereo - One Dead Channel

i bet its just a dead chip.
    might want to do swaptronics to verify.
    most blown chips in these are from idiots attempting to add power boosters.
    95% of other failures are as you found.bad solder joints.

Comment

Cool - I'm in the process of locating a couple of dead parts decks, so I might scavenge them for the amp chips.

Now that you mention power boosters, that makes a lot of sense. Chrysler/Infinity systems of this vintage used 20W booster amps on the system woofers that went bad often.

These particular decks are the worst for the solder joints... I have another non-Infinity one that also had bad joints all over.

Here's a pic of this deck if interested:

Comment

wow thats beautiful vintage looking
        capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

Not only that, it's a very rare deck - IIRC only available in the silver for 1987-1988 Chrysler New Yorkers with the Infinity speakers. Been looking for one on eBay, and finally got this one after 4 years of looking

The three channels that work sound incredible. The power amp section is identical to my other non-Infinity version, but I don't want to use that one for parts as it too sounds awesome and is in just as good cosmetic shape:

Comment

Possability for a problem in the fader/bal control area?
            Jim

Comment

I thought about that too, and the 3 pots involved with the joystick control were quite dirty, but cleaning them twice did nothing to help. Everything else in that area looked ok. I might go looking for replacement pots though - they still crackle.

Comment

Quick update - the deck is now fixed. It was indeed just a bad chip - pulled one out of the older non-Infinity version as a replacement. Was a pain to install the replacement thanks to a double sided PCB that just would not desolder well, but I managed and all is well. Sounds incredible

Comment

Working...
                X