Identify this stencil please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Identify this stencil please

The wrinkling/bubbling (similar to PCB delamination) as seen on the picture is usually caused by excessive amount of heat concentrated on a small area. What was the soldering iron temperature set to and type of tip used? What size of wick was used and was it cut into small pieces or used as a part of the roll?

Comment

Originally posted by dicky96 View Post
      Yes probably. I noticed it was missing when i cleaned all the flux off with IPA and a brush.

I'm still convinced there is some damage to the green plastic part of the BGA in the same area the pad came off
      I use anti static clean room wipes or foam pads to clean off the flux, nice and smooth to avoid the possibility of causing damage.

Comment

Originally posted by Spider1211 View Post
        The wrinkling/bubbling (similar to PCB delamination) as seen on the picture is usually caused by excessive amount of heat concentrated on a small area. What was the soldering iron temperature set to and type of tip used? What size of wick was used and was it cut into small pieces or used as a part of the roll?
        KSGER T12 330C
        BC3 Tip
        Chemtronics braid
        NC-559 flux (from aliexpress so possibly not original)
        On the roll
        Follow me on YouTube
        ------------------
        Learn Electronics Repair
        https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFX...R8UZ2vg/videos

Comment

Try cutting the braid to small size, maybe 2cm strips (use the 2mm width) rather than using it on the roll.

When using it on the roll, the whole thing acts as a heatsink, which means heating one spot of the chip for longer until the wick reaches temperature. (Using a wider braid just adds to the heat-up time).

I usually bend the edge of the wick strip 90 degree and use a bent nose tweezer to move it around. There was a noticeable difference for me atleast.

My setup is very similar to yours but with slightly lower temperature (320C with Hakko BC3 T12)

Its also easier and better to clean the chip/PCB right after desoldering since its still hot and therefore less likely to lift pads, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by diif View Post
            I use anti static clean room wipes or foam pads to clean off the flux, nice and smooth to avoid the possibility of causing damage.
            What type of foam pads do you use? Any links/brand?

Comment

Originally posted by Spider1211 View Post
              What type of foam pads do you use? Any links/brand?
              I got them from Aliexpress. Not from this vendor but the same as these. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000630674918.html?

Comment

Working...
              X