Deer DR-250ATX Power Supply

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deer DR-250ATX Power Supply

Been a while since I have had something burn up and smell but today was in the office and had someone tell me they shut down one of their machine due to a bad burning smell. So i took it apart a lo and behold I smell a bad power supply. I open it up and I can see visual burn marks on the circuit board of the power supply, but dont see much else. There are some Rulycons in it with just a touch of bulging and some huge Fu Jun caps with some brownish black stuff at the base. (Might be glue, but who knows)

Ill post pics tonight when I get home to the camera, but I was under the impression that things really didnt start failing on the caps until they were really bulging/bursting.

Any ideas?

Re: Deer DR-250ATX Power Supply

It's not Fu Jun, it's Jun Fu. Deer are well known crap PSUs and this does not surprise me. Deer are most likely not worth the recapping expense.
    The great capacitor showdown!

Comment

Originally posted by Chris1992
      It's not Fu Jun, it's Jun Fu. Deer are well known crap PSUs and this does not surprise me. Deer are most likely not worth the recapping expense.
      Wasnt even thinking of recapping. I know it is a crap power supply. I was just curious on what you guys thought might of been the problem.

Also: The way the cap is labeled it looked like Jun Fu but I look at it again and it looks like you are right.

Comment

This guy can help..

Ya'll think us folk from the country's real funny-like, dontcha?

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of BADCAPS.NET or any of their affiliates.

Comment

Nice precision alignment tool.
          PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
          To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

seen so many of these things fried, but here is worst, was posted long ago.
            Attached Files

Comment

That one looks like it was set for 115VAC and was plugged into 220VAC. Either that or those input lytics were worse than c__p.
              PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
              To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

From the second picture, not only did it have a wonderful cooked electronic smell, but I'd bet it had the fine aroma of melted plastic! When will the insanity ever end?

Comment

Actually, another possibility is that the fan failed, and the input lytics, which are rated for 85C and located close to the switch device heatsink, overheated and vented. I'd expect the switch transistor(s) or MOSFET(s) might have fried first, though.
                  PeteS in CA

Comment

OTOH, one of the metal oxide varistors (MOVs) is visible and intact: had 220VAC been applied while it was set for 115VAC, the MOV would have been fried or splattered around the case.

Probably a combination of cheap caps, placement near hot components, and a failure of a cheap fan.
                    PeteS in CA

Comment

looks like the fan was running during the flameout.
                      i bet the input filters vented and the leaked electrolyte caused destructive arcing which ignited the electrolyte soaked board.once you get some carbonised spots arcing it keeps going till the fuse goes and thats no gaurantee it will stop.looks like a few powmax i have seen.i have seen a few that give a nice loud buzzing arc when plugged in but dont pull enough to trip a 15a breaker.i always said powmax might be a good name for firecrackers but you wont see me installing pc compomants of that brand.

Comment

I posted some pics of a burnt deer supply a while ago... exact same thing, slightly bulging rulycons, 2" black spot on the board of obliterated components...

--Randy

Comment

My favorite P/S company name, from quite a few years ago, was "Torch".
                          PeteS in CA

Comment

Anyone had the chance to play with A-Powers? They are real nice, the 480w "gamers edition" will fail in 90 days or less with all the caps blown. Cost about $8 wholesale!!!

Comment

Does anyone have a picture of the top of the circuit board in the supply? I want to compare it to mine, becasue someone has suspected it is a Deer supply.
                              My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Comment

Had to replace this power supply today. It weighs about 35 lbs.
                                This had 230vac feed misswired, poofed it pretty good.
                                Attached Files
                                Jim

Comment

I am still after a pictue of the top view of the Deer DR-250ATX power supply.
                                  My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Comment

I decided to scrap the supply I previously had, so there is no need for the photos of the internals. However, what is the marking on the chips inside the unit?

Comment

Attached are pics of mine. It doesnt look like bad caps, but you can see the burnt spot on the board of the power supply.
                                      Attached Files

Comment

Are those Rulies or Rubies on the secondary filters? Those K-vents look like original Rubies.

Comment

Working...
                                        X