They're bad, but no brand...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They're bad, but no brand...

Got this board in the recap pile yesterday... Any guess what these are? (other than crap, I know that much!) Checked the brand-sorted photo collection, and didn't see them...

http://www.bushytails.net/~randyg/un...0caps%2001.jpg
    http://www.bushytails.net/~randyg/un...0caps%2002.jpg
    http://www.bushytails.net/~randyg/un...0caps%2003.jpg
    http://www.bushytails.net/~randyg/un...0caps%2004.jpg

Of most interest is the two in the middle, that have lifted the cans clear off the plugs, making them look taller than the others.

I'm going to rule the board (santafe-km) as not-worth-fixing... out of some major brand (I believe it was a Compaq) athlon 1ghz system. seems like a total crap board (only two dimms, onboard video with no agp slot, etc), and if I do all >470, there's about 20 to replace... caps worth more than the board is.

There's a total of about 10 different series of caps on the board (some 85c, some 105c, for example), but they're all vented electrolytics, and all of the same brand.

In any case, if anyone knows the brand, they probably should be stuck onto the photo gallery.

--Randy

Re: They're bad, but no brand...

I've rebuilt a few of those. The 2 center caps get extremely hot, when you recap it, take note if their temp after recapping.
    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
    Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
    http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Team : 49813
    Join in!!
    Team Stats

Comment

The 1500, 10V types with the little shield and the "LXV" are United Chemicon LXV series (assuming they aren't fake). LXV is a good, mature, Lo-Z series, but the KZE or KZH are lower Z. Considerations here are:

* Fake?

* Design issue (the Z isn't low enough for the VRM circuit)?

* Got too hot (impeded air flow or thermal design goof)?

* The powdered iron cores of the inductors over-heated, reducing the magnetic properties and increasing the ripplecurrent through the caps?
      PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
      To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

they look like chemi-con but the dot in the logo makes me think counterfiets.
        never seen the dot on any other chemicon.

Comment

Good eye, kc8! I've got some LXVs and LXZs at work I can look at tomorrow. Those may be fakes.
          PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
          To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

AFAIK those Chemicon look-alikes with the dot in the shield are Samyoungs. They are very common in Emachines (they're not just on the motherboard but also sometimes in the PSUs of those machines as well).
            The ever-amazing (and ever-affordable) KY, Chemi-con's best kept secret.

I'll probably be the only person going to SteamOS once it gets out of beta (ha ha.)

Comment

Well, I looked at KMF, LXV, LXZ, and KZE samples and none have a dot in the shield logo.
              PeteS in CA

Comment

Hrmm. The thick plottens.

--Randy

Comment

And what was not mentioned is that samyoung is Chemicon's korean arm and their (Samyoung's) caps are known to fail.

<off-topic>Urabahn, if you value your comp at all, replace that powmax PSU. Their bad circuit design makes them likely to kill the board if they fail. </off-topic>
                  The great capacitor showdown!

Comment

@Chris1992: Well, I'd really like to replace that POS PowMax PSU, but I am flat out broke. I've already changed some of the caps inside to (Nippon) Chemicon, and I changed the fan on it several times. I just hope that this setup lasts long enough for my finaid to come in. (And yes, I can justify a new PSU as a college expense, as I'm going to be extensively using the computer for my college classes.)

I'll probably be the only person going to SteamOS once it gets out of beta (ha ha.)

Comment

The Santa-Fe mainboards were made by a Korean company called Trigem, the one I had go TU had Chemi-cons, and the power fets were nuked...
                      Ya'll think us folk from the country's real funny-like, dontcha?

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of BADCAPS.NET or any of their affiliates.

Comment

I see a black mark on the northbridge chip! The chipset could have been fried.
                        ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

@ Rjarrrpcgp: I think that's just something reflecting off the NB.
                          The great capacitor showdown!

Comment

Hmmm, given the numerous problems some users reported with Samyoung capacitors, shouldn't they be added to the Badcaps list? Any pictures of them should highlight the dot in the logo to avoid confusing them with the other (hopefully good) Chemicon brands.

I was also wondering if the failed Chemicon caps that some users saw were actually Samyoungs.

Comment

Looks like the VRMs were replaced, too (notice the solder flux on the legs and case for all four).

It appears to have a space for an AGP socket, but without one installed.

Bushy, if you don't want it, I'd take it off your hands for the cost of shipping. Could be a good board to experiment on.

Comment

The mofsets look like original, just not well cleaned. It looks much worse when replaced (at least when I do : )

Comment

I've seen those caps fail too, i've replaced 4 of those boards (Trigem Santa Fe) motherboards.. All of them were HP microATX systems, with Tbird 1.0Ghz microprocessors.. They have the Via 8364A northbridge and 686A southbridge IIRC.. All the ones that failed on me had those two caps by the toroid inductors fail out in the exact same way.. I'm wondering whether those are actually ChemiCon LXV's, or if they're knockoffs.. I mean if you get any electrolytic cap too hot, it'll overheat and fail out, and Tbirds are known for their power consumption.. I have one of these boards that has seen very little use, so it's caps are still good, but i'm sure if i were to run it all the time, it would have the caps fail too.

Comment

Working...
                                  X